Upgrading....

Status
Not open for further replies.

canav844

I've been immersed in the General and Extra and GROL books for a few months...I've decided I'd like to upgrade from being a "no code tech":roll: before field day (otherwise I'd sit here read these books forever and never take the test, I studied for my tech for 3 years before i picked a date and went for it).

My question is, should I plan on taking the General and Extra exams on the same day, or is it time to put down the Extra book and focus my efforts on the General only, or should I prep for both? I've got 2-3 testing sessions available within 100miles in the next two weeks, then nothing until the middle of July.

On QRZ I'm consistently passing the general and almost passing the extra but not quite, with no calculator on hand, and not checking any books, etc. (as close to test conditions as I can get without putting that pit in my stomach feeling I had taking my tech test)

CLynch7

With most clubs, if you take and pass one test, you get to take the rest for free. When I took my tech and general tests, I tried the extra as well, and missed it by 6 questions without studying. So go for it! There isn't any harm in trying!

elk2370bruce

Go ahead and take yourGeneral exam. When you pass it (and I'm sure you will), take the freebie Extra test when it is offered to you. You may surprise yourself. Even if you don't pass the Extra, you'll have a good opportinity to see what's there and have a better shot studying for the next time. You have nothing to lose. The hf privileges that you earn with the General opens up a whole new world, See ya in 17 and 20 soon.

KC0KM

I would say like the others go ahead and try it. A few weeks ago here in the KCMO area, someone come in to take their tests, and PASSED all three in one day. (Tech, General, Extra). I was offered to take my Extra, but since I had not even looked at the questions, and knew I would fail it, I did not even try. Then again I even had problems with the math on my General, I shudder to think what it like for Extra.

canav844

Thanks for the encouragement, looks like test day is going to be this coming Friday evening, assuming the week goes smoothly and I can keep up the spare time to study.

CLynch7

HAM Academy

Checkout these PDF study guides, they are very concise. I used them when I studied for my tests, printed them out and had one last read-over in the car at the test site. Good luck!

D00D

Go for both. If you're consistently passing the General practice exams start focusing your studies on the areas of the Extra that are giving your trouble.

As a VE I'd suggest letting the folks administering the exams know ahead of time that you want to take both so they have have both exams prepped for you. Just makes things easier on exam day.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.