Upmans avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

click23

Premium Subscriber
Looks like upman is giving us another hint in his avatar. At the bottom you can see the top of some text. The only thing that I can make out is a ( at the begining and a ) at the end.

Attachments

• rrdblogo.jpg
    rrdblogo.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 966

scanjunkie

Yeah, I was wondering if that was meant for the new remote head, but because that was announced and a pic put on the wiki I'm thinking there is another toy on the way!

safetyobc

It looks like a date....however this could be the same avatar he used quite a while back before the 996 (I think) was announced and he just cropped the pic to exclude the old date.

?????

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Look out UPMan, there's blood in the water... SCANNERHEAD SHARK's!!! ;)

<Que the John William's tune of JAWS>

pathalogical

If it is a date, the last four 'humps' may very well be 2007, since we are at the end of 2006. The two middle are the same, possibly the '00' and the fourth appears to be the lengthier upper part of the 7. However, the first two sets of 'two humps' could be the date and month, at the very least a double digit month release date...no earlier than October 2007. Based on the fonts we use here - 1234567890 - keeping in mind that the very first and very last are open & close brackets, of the first two humps, it looks like 1x and the second two humps, 1x. Use a piece of paper to cover up the majority of the numbers I typed above leaving only the upper line of pixles exposed, most look identical except the 1 and 4, two small bumps ! If anyone knows the font style and size, you might be able to figure it out...notice the "h" and the dot on the "i" are taller than the capital T.

I see a new tv show in the works...CSI:RR

John_M

rdale Wrote:

The 996 is already on the market.

Yes but the 996t is a mobile scanner. No big display or big nobs, ect. What base unit would have GPS capability? They have the new digital handheld (396t) and they have the new mobile scanners BCT 15/996t.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps a new digital handheld with some of the features of the 996-
Close Call-Do Not Disturb
Temporary Lockout
Startup Configurations
Multi-site
Or maybe with one or more of the other "wish list" features that keep popping up.

The 396 came out summer of last year, the BR330T last fall. Since then, the BCT-15, the BCD996T, plus the 340/370 conventional scanner-clock radios have been released. By the time a new scanner is developed, type accepted, beta tested, then production set up, you're easily looking at 6 to 8 months, or more, before the first units hit the streets. By that time, the 396 will be nearly 2 years 'old', and possibly there may be enough rebanded systems on the air, somewhere, to get a handle on the issue (wishfull thinking).

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Wow, you know you are a scanner nut when there is an active thread scrutinizing UPMans avatar! hahaha Sad part is I'm just as bad, always checking to see what his latest pic is.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Sometimes I think people read WAY too much into things. Maybe he just saw the saying, liked it, and cropped it into an avatar. :roll:

Just a thought.

Anywho, the first and last characters are parenthesis: "(" and ")".

Looks like the dates "May" "10" "2005" or "Mar" "12" "2007," or something close to that using those characters.

:lol:

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
hiegtx said:
Perhaps a new digital handheld with some of the features of the 996

WOW! Just from seeing his avatar - you nailed down all the features of this radio? That's amazing ;>

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
WOW! Just from seeing his avatar - you nailed down all the features of this radio? That's amazing ;>
I don't know about the nailed down part. More likely wishfull thinking perhaps.

jimyleg

urgent updating of the 396 is needed. We need somthing to smooth out these "custom" digital rev gain and rev time settings.

Its official, I have stired the pot.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Feel free to stire it, there's no urgent updating needed. Keep playing around with the settings, or provide us real information on your problem, or at least the system you are using. While saying 'earth' in your location is cute, and quite humorous (I think I'm still laughing quite hard) it doesn't lend itself well to knowing where you are.

kc8syo

There is an urgent update needed for Detroit's radio system!!! Thats why I keep my Pro96 handy and I've got both radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.