UPRR radio mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0QNB

I heard a train crew member, call the Kearney(Nebraska) sub, relating that the detector at MP226.9 had "talked" to him. I had been working on Google Earth RR mapping project, just prior to that call, so I "flew" over to the location in GE and here is what I found, not to bad.
2269a.jpg

I should have stated that I did this from the FCC database, location summary for 160.470mHz, for my county.
Any volunteers?

Last edited:

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I heard a train crew member, call the Kearney(Nebraska) sub, relating that the detector at MP226.9 had "talked" to him. I had been working on Google Earth RR mapping project, just prior to that call, so I "flew" over to the location in GE and here is what I found, not to bad.
2269a.jpg

I should have stated that I did this from the FCC database, location summary for 160.470mHz, for my county.
Any volunteers?

volunteers for what?

KC0QNB

volunteers for what?
To work on this project on a large scale (statewide/nationwide)
If you have Google Earth and internet (which you do) and a GPSr, and a translator program like GPS babel, you have everything you need to help, just takes research, and time.
If you want more info PM me

Last edited:

KC0QNB

interested in what? What are you taking volunteers for?
I already posted that answer, but for your benefit, It would be nice to get some other people interested in helping with the project, in their own areas I did two counties, could do two more.
But to do something on a large scale, like the complete UPRR system complete with mile posts every 10 miles or so,would be an immense task, for one person, hence the request for volunteers.
If you are not interested, that is ok, it is not that important, just a fun and challenging project.
Of course I drive US Highway 30 everyday, right next the railroad out here. there are other places I am sure that aren't that accessible.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I already posted that answer, but for your benefit, It would be nice to get some other people interested in helping with the project, in their own areas I did two counties, could do two more.
But to do something on a large scale, like the complete UPRR system complete with mile posts every 10 miles or so,would be an immense task, for one person, hence the request for volunteers.
If you are not interested, that is ok, it is not that important, just a fun and challenging project.
Of course I drive US Highway 30 everyday, right next the railroad out here. there are other places I am sure that aren't that accessible.

whoops, yeah... i'm blind...

google earth doesnt have this kind of resolution across much of iowa.

KC0QNB

I am sure they are working on it, it takes major bucks to do hi res maps of the whole world, you can try world wind, I can't run it really eats up resources. I noticed the other day we have some new images near here, now you can actually see the semi famous Wild Horse Golf Club west of town. Also you don't need to do the satellite image thing, just a regular map will work for now.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I once mapped out and linked the whole California microwave network for UPRR through Map Point. Seriously time consuming so good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.