USB Cable question

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilbell

Will the USB cable which came with my 996XT also work with the 396XT ? This cable works just fine with my 996XT. Sites selling the 396XT don't mention the inclusion of a programming cable?

Neil Bell

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Same cable works for both, assuming your 996xt configuration is for its front port.

BHinAZ

The Uniden Wiki product guide for the BCD996XT says the scanner comes with a "Serial" programming cable rather than a USB (USB-1) cable. That was also the case for my BCD396XT purchased factory new. It included a serial rather than a USB programming cable. Did your BCD996XT come with a serial or USB programming cable as part of the factory packaging?

If you have a newer computer which only has USB ports, then you have a couple of choices. You can purchase a USB-1 cable made by Uniden for about 25 bucks or get a USB/Serial adaptor plug for at least have that price. Not all USB/Serial adaptors work, so do a search on this forum for recommendations. As I recall, I have read posts saying low price vendors Meritline and the MonoPrice products worked. I use a Best Buy house brand Dynex without any problems. It attaches to the serial programming cable that came with my BCD396T and has also worked with the BCD396XT, BR330T, BCD996T and a BCT15.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Did your BCD996XT come with a serial or USB programming cable as part of the factory packaging?

If you have a newer computer which only has USB ports, then you have a couple of choices. You can purchase a USB-1 cable made by Uniden for about 25 bucks or get a USB/Serial adaptor plug for at least have that price.

Both the BCD396XT, and BCD996XT come with RS232 serial cables that plug into the front of the scanner.

If you're computer is a desktop and is lacking a serial port, you have another choice. You can buy an inexpensive PCI expansion card with one or more serial ports. I think this is the best solution because it's always better to use the actual port the equipment was designed for, rather than use a protocol/interface conversion cable. It also gives you the benefit of serial ports for future requirements, and keeps your USB ports free for other equipment.

Attachments

• Serial1-Product.gif
    Serial1-Product.gif
    44.8 KB · Views: 438

GTO_04

Both the BCD396XT, and BCD996XT come with RS232 serial cables that plug into the front of the scanner.

If you're computer is a desktop and is lacking a serial port, you have another choice. You can buy an inexpensive PCI expansion card with one or more serial ports. I think this is the best solution because it's always better to use the actual port the equipment was designed for, rather than use a protocol/interface conversion cable. It also gives you the benefit of serial ports for future requirements, and keeps your USB ports free for other equipment.

My 996XT did not come with a serial cable. Fortunately, the one from the 396XT works just fine.

GTO_04

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My 996XT did not come with a serial cable. Fortunately, the one from the 396XT works just fine.

GTO_04

If you still have the original box and packing material, check the end pieces that were on the scanner. The cable is real small and was hidden inside one of those end flaps.

GTO_04

If you still have the original box and packing material, check the end pieces that were on the scanner. The cable is real small and was hidden inside one of those end flaps.

I'll have to double check that. Maybe I didn't check all the end flaps. Was it in the same section with the other cables?

GTO_04

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.