BCD396T/BC996T: USB Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

theturk182

Premium Subscriber
Apparently Uniden claims that there is no driver for the USB1 cable to work with Windows 8 or 8.1... I just got a BCD396T and want to program it via software. I have Windows 8, 8.1, Ubuntu, Mac. Any ideas for software and getting the cable to work.
Thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You can get a plugable USB to serial port adapter at amazon which has the HXD chipset that gets along with windows 8. I use that with good results.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The current drivers from Prolific do support Windows 8+ (providing you have a later version that uses the HXD chipset). Prolific's web site includes both the drivers and a version-checking tool.

Products

theturk182

Premium Subscriber
I used my wifes laptop with windows 7. What really got me was the attitude of the rep on the phone. Upman, I posted a comment in New York for Madison County, can you take a look at it, not sure if the scanner has an issue.
Your advice would be very helpful.
Thanks

WuLabsWuTecH

I use the included scanner to serial cable. (I think it's RS232??? don't quote me on that) and then I bought a serial to USB cable from microcenter that has the right type of chip in it. It was a bit pricey at about $15 but I run windows 8 (not 8.1) and I have no issues with it whatsoever. I use that for my 346xt. The 396xt cable worked right out of the box since it's a scanner to usb cable. I didn't have to install drivers or anything. my computer just picks it up as a com port.

Salvation

The current drivers from Prolific do support Windows 8+ (providing you have a later version that uses the HXD chipset). Prolific's web site includes both the drivers and a version-checking tool.

Products

Are you allowed to say what chipset you use for the 436/536 for USB Serial and Mass Storage Mode? Would love to see if I can find a Mac driver for the Mass Storage Mode so people won't lose data when they connect their scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.