Pro-668: USB Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawsrock

My 668 will connect on my laptop but not on my desktop. I don`t know wht happen. If it is connecting on my laptop then I should have the driver on that system. If that is correct, how do I find it then install it. Trying to update scanner.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Can you set the clock via the software on both computers?

What operating system on each computer?

Windows 10 requires a special procedure to allow unsigned drivers and it has been discussed extensively numerous times in the RR forums.

Has the scanner been upgraded to the ws1080 firmware? if so you need the ws1080 driver.

pawsrock

Windows 7 and I did the upgrade. I went to Whristler to get the driver but I may have gotten the wrong one. It just showed text when I open it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You would want the original driver for the 668, not the Whistler (N.B. even if you were trying to apply the 1080 firmware to the 668, you DON'T download the 1080 firmware from the Whistler website; We have specific instructions on how to do this linked in our wilki...)

It's kinda hidden on the 668 page at the RS website - follow the instructions found in our FAQ under the firmware and software section...

GRE/RS PC Object Oriented FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Note that the instructions for applying the 1080 firmware to a 668 are also linked here. Keep in mind that this is a very unofficial procedure...

Mike

Last edited:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
You would want the original driver for the 668, not the Whistler (N.B. even if you were trying to apply the 1080 firmware to the 668, you DON'T download the 1080 firmware from the Whistler website; We have specific instructions on how to do this linked in our wilki...)

It's kinda hidden on the 668 page at the RS website - follow the instructions found in our FAQ under the firmware and software section...

Note that the instructions for applying the 1080 firmware to a 668 are also linked here. Keep in mind that this is a very unofficial procedure...

Mike
He said he already did the upgrade.

If the scanner has been upgraded to the ws1080 ver 3.8 or 4.5 firmware then as far as the driver goes you must use the ws1080 driver. if the scanner is still on Radio Shack pro-668 firmware then you would need the pro-668 driver.

pawsrock

I had downloaded the file yesterday from Whristler but when you open it, it looks like how to install the file. Anyway my wife was able to help me and I got it working. Thank you for the help.
Ron

DJ11DLN

Mike
Wackyracer is correct, once you do the conversion, a Pro-668, a Pro-18, or a PSR-800 will "think" it is a WS-1080/1088, and will require that driver. If there's something in the wiki contradicting this, it should be corrected.

@Pawsrock: Glad to hear you got your scanner working. Dealing with Windows and unsigned drivers can be a yuge headache.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
To clarify BEFORE you upgrade you need the comport driver for that model scanner ex:pro-18, Pro668 or Psr-800,

After the upgrade it is a WS1080 so you need the ws1080 driver. So 2 different drivers are needed and you will need to install both.

One to start the upgrade (it is most likely already installed if you have previously used ezscan to update the firmwares or set the clock). The second the ws1080 to install the dsp firmware and set the clock.

You should have both of these drivers before you begin the upgrade.

The key here to know if the driver is working is to try and set the clock via the iscan then again in ezscan. if it won't set then the driver is missing or corrupt and MUST be fixed BEFORE you go any further. It is irrelevant that you can see the Micro SD card as that driver is not the one needed to talk to the CPU and complete the firmware upgrade.

In order to fix the driver you either need to install it or uninstall then delete all files for it followed by a reboot, then reinstall using the proper procedure for your OS.

For win 10 that means the procedure for allowing UNSIGNED driver MUST be followed. (google it)

Status
Not open for further replies.