usb driver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh7411usa

i have an old radioshack pro 651, downloaded all three softwares, arc500 psredit500, and win500. have the same problem with all three. i have a genuine pl2303ta chip usb cable, and a windows 10 and an old windows xp. i also have a disc that came with my cable, with prolific usb-to-serial driver, and also downloaded the ftdi drivers.
so thats 3 softwares, 2 drivers, and 2 computers.
I tried all combinations of drivers+softwares+computers.
but i cannot get full working support for upload and download from my scanner.
heres what i did manage to get:
right when i installed the pl2303ta prolific driver, arc500 was able to download fro the scanner, and load that information. but it was not able to upload back to the scanner. (i did not try the other softwares yet.) when i would upload, the scanner display would say loading filesystem but as soon as it completed, it would factory reset. no matter what configuration or information i tried. even is i just downloaded, made no changes and tried to upload.
then i uninstall pl2303 and installed ftdi driver as program recommended. (i ran the installer.exe) but i could not figure out how to aim the driver at the device, which just showed up in dvcmanager as error. (with the prolific driver it did not have an error).
since then, i have reinstalled the pl2303 driver, and tested with all 3 softwares. on psredit500 and arc500, they do not work as before i uninstalled and reinstalled the pl2303 driver. it used to be i could download from the scanner, but not upload. now, it wont download. when i click download on the pc it says downloading on the scanner, but the computer does not recieve. on psredit it says request timed out after a minute.
the problem is the same on both of my pcs, windows 10 and windows xp.
does anyone have any idea how to set this up and get it working?
(sorry if this is the wrong place for this thread, im new, so let me know where to go if its not)

sh7411usa

thanks, though i think its a driver issue, because i dont have an adapter, and the prong has two bands at the end. i was looking for installation tips of the ftdi driver, and how to point it at my cable.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
thanks, though i think its a driver issue, because i dont have an adapter, and the prong has two bands at the end. i was looking for installation tips of the ftdi driver, and how to point it at my cable.

The cable needs to have 3 contact areas on the scanner end, not 2 as you mentioned in your post (unless you mean the 2 black bands that separate the 3 contact areas).... and it should be inserted in the PC/IF jack on the scanner. If your cable end doesn't look like the one in this pic, drivers aren't going to rectify that.

In most situations, windows will automatically install the proper driver for the actual Radio Shack cable. Is yours an after market cable?

Last edited:

sh7411usa

yeah my bad, its got two black bands.
does anyone know of a way to get this up and running, or of a working cable/driver combo for radioshack pro 651 on windows 10 ?

sh7411usa

Thanks for that @tvengr
After installing the driver, it still does not automatically apply itself to the cable when inserted.
i tried manually but am not sure which driver is the right one of the several in the package, which include:
FT4222 Interface A​
FT4222 Interface B​
FT4222 Interface C​
FT4222 Interface D​
FT4222 Mode 3 Device​
FT4222H Interface A​
FT4222H Interface B​
FT4222H Interface C​
FT4222H Interface D​
FT4222H Mode 3 Device​
UMFT4222PROG​
UMFTPD3A Programming Board​
USB Serial Converter​
USB Serial Converter A​
USB Serial Converter B​
USB Serial Converter C​
USB Serial Converter D​
USB Serial Converter E​
USB Serial Converter F​
USB Serial Converter G​
USB Serial Port​

sh7411usa

tried the bottom one, USB Serial Port, because it sounded the most obvious, and the device uodated to read USB-Serial-Port (COM6) which seems to indicate that it was recognized and assigned a port, however neither win500 arc500 or psredit500 will read from the scanner in any configuration, whether direct or serial port. why....?

tvengr

Well Known Member
If I remember correctly, the cable has to be plugged into the computer when you install the driver. I tried to dig up the instructions, but they are in every language but English.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
right when i installed the pl2303ta prolific driver, arc500 was able to download fro the scanner, and load that information. but it was not able to upload back to the scanner. (i did not try the other softwares yet.) when i would upload, the scanner display would say loading filesystem but as soon as it completed, it would factory reset. no matter what configuration or information i tried.

The reset after an upload to the scanner is the expected behavior. Try and get rid of all the clutter from the others you tried and then try the pl2303 driver again.
The reset you see is required so the radio can load the changes you just uploaded. It's really not a reset but rather a reboot.
All my similar model GRE and RadioShack clones behave exactly the same when I upload to the radio regardless if I made any changes or not.

sh7411usa

and is there a cable out that that is known to work with this scanner (pro 651) ON WINDOWS 10??

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
and is there a cable out that that is known to work with this scanner (pro 651) ON WINDOWS 10??

Your Pro651 is the same as the Whistler WS1040. This cable will definitely work with Win10.

https://whistlergroup.com/collections/scanner-accessories/products/pc-interface-cable-for-ws1040-ws1065-1

Something important that you haven't answered yet.... What cable are you presently trying to use? What specific manufacturer (the cable, not the chip)? If you don't know, where did you purchase it from and when? Best if you post a picture of it.

emtd99

Premium Subscriber
i had a similar issue with my 2096, and come to find out i had to do a windows update, After the windows update it worked with
out an issue.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
thanks. how do i uninstall the ftdi drivers though?
Try Googling something like "show ghost devices in device manager" or "Show hidden devices in device manager".
Just clicking the show hidden devices option from the menu does not show all the devices.

If you find the commands to see ghost devices, that command will work for most versions of Windows including Window 10.
Once you see the bad drivers, right click them and select uninstall. If there is a checkbox to remove drivers, check that box as well.
This will clean up bad drivers that you may have forced to install. It's not always necessary to do this but having bad drivers that don't work with your hardware can be a bad thing.

For USB ports, look under the Ports category and the Universal Serial Bus controllers category. Many USB serial drivers will show up in both places. Ghosted devices will look greyed out because they are not loaded and are usually safe to remove.
You should also try and answer fxdscon's question before doing anything as that could go a long way in getting you running.

A word of caution: When viewing devices that are hidden ghosted devices, don't get carried away and start deleting all the greyed out items you see. It's easy to break windows if you do. Just concentrate on the usb serial port drivers that you know do not exist or did not work and leave everything else alone.

Last edited:

a417

U+0000
Known issue with windows 10 and Prolific 2303 USB Serial devices.

The HXA models actively tell you that you need to contact prolific and sacrifice them a goat or something, I wouldn't be suprised if the TA models have similar issues with windows 10 drivers.

Get a new USB/Serial converter or roll the driver back to an earlier version using the info found in that lengthy microsoft forums post I linked .

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

a417

U+0000
Are these the supposed counterfeit Prolific chipsets that flooded the market for a while?
I remember when Microsoft started blocking their driver install but as is usual, people found ways around the block.
Yes.

This link specifically addresses the 2303HXA (HX. Rev A) models that were faked, as a statement from the manufacturer, but i'm hard-pressed to believe that there were other revisions involved in it. The 2303 line is very widespread. As I have, I have original 2303HXA chips that I've confirmed to be authentic...yet the driver tells me

A little keyboard ninjery, and a confirmed older version of the driver that I bump back in place and I can get it working every time. Considering how often I use it, my cheap a** doesn't see the need to get a newer one. Linux support is just fine, so my multi-boot isn't affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.