USB Isolator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
what did you mean with?

I had good result with the first one. The rest are the claims of the author in this link and I have not tried the rest. Only had a short coax here and don't have an extra car battery...

SDR for Mariners Moved to RTL-SDR for Everyone: Reducing electrical noise

USB plug metal connected to 1m coax: coax cable center conductor connected to the metal support of the USB plug. Decreased noise by 7db. Saw improvement

USB plug metal connected to 10m wire: further noise reduction by 5dB.

USB plug metal connected to 12V car battery negative (-) terminal: noise almost completely eliminated.

USB plug support connected to 10m coax, RTL stick nesting in the middle: noise completely eliminated.

Click pik to enlarge

M105

Can somebody explain how or why the negative post on the old car battery is supposed to work? I have never heard of such.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
what should the long coax do? I have 10 or more Dongles so 10 or more coax cables?!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Try it on one dongle. If it works, then go from there. If you never move or rearrange them, then you could maybe find a way to join all together... I did it with my Airspy and did see a difference. Keep in mind that I am surrounded by rfi as I am in an apartment..

bharvey2

One pass through a ferrite bead may not be enough. If you use the larger snap on ones, you can wrap the USB cable through it a number of times and gain greater noise suppression.

Your_account

Banned
you can wrap the USB cable through it a number of times and gain greater noise suppression.
I do.
I did it with my Airspy and did see a difference.
Do you have pictures from before and after? I see it in SDR# when i boot an Pi up.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Can somebody explain how or why the negative post on the old car battery is supposed to work? I have never heard of such.

Did not read the things but back in the day we were using car battery to filter electrical noise from car charger powering cb radio.

Rred

"A ferrite bead" can be a total waste of time and money unless it is the correct mix (Type43, Type 31, etc.) to attenuate the frequency of the interfering signals.

Car batteries (any battery) act like a giant capacitor, they can absorb and swamp out a great deal of transient line noise. Sometimes. Often but not always. And that's assuming the noise is "in the line" that is being grounded to them.

M105

Did not read the things but back in the day we were using car battery to filter electrical noise from car charger powering cb radio.

Yes, I understand using a battery to filter a power supply but this article says to connect the metal part of the USB connector to the negative terminal of an old car battery. Essentially use the old battery as a "ground". It sounds like a 35 pound pile of lead bull manure to me...

Your_account

Banned
I dont have anything to charge an Battery.

Which Bandwidth need an ordinary SDR Dongle?

Rred

"It sounds like a 35 pound pile of lead bull manure to me..."

Confucius said the exact same thing. You're among the few wise ones.

slicerwizard

Yes, I understand using a battery to filter a power supply but this article says to connect the metal part of the USB connector to the negative terminal of an old car battery. Essentially use the old battery as a "ground". It sounds like a 35 pound pile of lead bull manure to me...
These fixes are promoted by folks who have no idea what they're doing. Running a wire to a car battery provides a random counterpoise that may improve RSSI. Since the signal sounds better, the battery, with only one side connected to anything, is obviously a "noise filter"...

M105

Thanks Slicer. That makes some sense out of it. An old aluminum pie plate would be a lot easier to carry around and not mess the floor as bad when it tipped over...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.