Use SDR as front end for DV-10?

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to be able to use a wideband SDR as the front end to an AOR AR-DV10 for voice decoding. Conversion type wideband receivers (I have a few) typically have an IF Out, e.g., 10.7 Mhz, that I can feed to the antenna input of the DV-10, then use the DV-10's automatic signal recognition and decoding. This allows me to take any digital voice signal, even above the DV-10 native frequency range of 1.3 GHz, and decode it. Great for home use.

However, I want a solution to take into the field (and dragging a 15 pound communications receiver into the field is not a great solution). The wideband SDRs I've seen are DDC + double/triple conversion. DDC architecture means no IF, and therefore, no IF Out to send to another device. I know some SDR software has the ability to send IQ data via TCP/UDP, but that still keeps the data inside the PC, which doesn't help me. I've thought about using a SDR that also has transmit capability, such as the Ettus B200, Pluto, etc. with software to take the tuned frequency and transmit it at a fixed frequency, such as 10.7 MHz (but the specific frequency doesn't really matter that much, as long as it's in the DV-10s range). Sort of like a SDR repeater. Researching this, I found F5OEOs rpitx (GitHub - F5OEO/rpitx: RF transmitter for Raspberry Pi), which runs on a RPi and has the ability to be used as a Transponder (look near the end of the URL I provided). This is the only thing I have found that MIGHT work but the project hasn't been touched in 3 years and I have absolutely no idea how to use it (TBH, I have NOT read the documentation yet, so it might be easy).

I know I can do a lot with an SDR and DSD+ FL. I already have that working, but it doesn't provide decoding of all the modes I want.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on whether this could be accomplished and how.

73 - David, AG4F

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
One more comment - I've thought about hacking my Icom IC-R30 to tap an IF point. I have the service manual that has schematics and block diagrams. However, given how much is crammed into a very small space in that radio, plus the cost / availability to replace it if I brick it trying to modify it, I'm very hesitant to take that approach (although it would be VERY COOL to have an IF out on that radio).