Using a rubber ducky to monitor a trunked system.

alicore

Premium Subscriber
I took the rubber ducky antenna off of my old Pro38 hand-held scanner and mounted it outside on a six-foot wooden fence. When I connect the scanner to it, I am able to get PHX fire dispatch loud and clear on 154.190. Because the Pro38 can't monitor a trunked system, I am thinking of connecting two SDR radios to it using SDR# and SDRTrunk and trying to monitor simulcasts A and B on RWC. Would that antenna be able to do that?

I could put the antenna on the roof of my house if the added height would help. Thank you in advance for any thoughts or opinions on this setup.

MiCon

Mike
The added height would most certainly be beneficial, but at least two things to consider:
1 - I don't know what antenna came with the Pro-38. I was recently reunited with my old Pro-30, which came with a rubber ducky antenna tuned for VHF-Low and VHF-High (7-1/4 inches tall). That one won't work well at all on 700Mhz. If it came with a RD antenna tuned for VHF-High and/ or UHF, that would increase your chances of getting an RWC signal.
2 - If you mount the rubber ducky antenna anywhere outside, make sure you waterproof the connection.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I took the rubber ducky antenna off of my old Pro38 hand-held scanner and mounted it outside on a six-foot wooden fence. When I connect the scanner to it, I am able to get PHX fire dispatch loud and clear on 154.190. Because the Pro38 can't monitor a trunked system, I am thinking of connecting two SDR radios to it using SDR# and SDRTrunk and trying to monitor simulcasts A and B on RWC. Would that antenna be able to do that?

What are the specs on that antenna and how far is the trunked system?