Using Conv. van's TV hookup for scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmission

Been reading a lot about antennas and it's been hard not to feel like I have to turn my ride into something that resembles the head of a cat (wiskers included :) ). I've been traveling with my Pro-96 piped into the AUX input on my CD reciever to suround sound which is SWEET especially when you pull up next to someone and have the windows down and the kid next to you in the little Honda Civic starts sweating thinking he just ran that stop sign back there next to an undercover LEO (excuse the run on sentance).

Back on topic...

I roll in an Astro Conversion van that has a coax hook up for a TV and just had this light bulb go off thinking I could tap into it for some good low band. I use the RS800 for all the 800 stuff and it does pretty good even with tinted windows. But does anyone no how they wire them TV hook ups? I mean they are geared towards UHF/VHF in the first place right unlike the AM/FM radio antenna? Are they wired together somehow?

If there's any other freaks out there like me that have tried the same thing, let me know how it went! Has anyone tried them suction cup single wire antennas?

Thanks!

newmission

***UPDATE***

So I went to RS and got a BNC to F adaptor and ran some coax between the two. Audio was very poor. Still not sure where the TV antenna runs to or if there is even and antenna on the other side of the plug. It was worth a try.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what kind of TV antenna your van has, but I've had better results by just adding a dedicated antenna for my scanner(s). It could be a magnetic mount or something more permanent. That way you do not have to deal with figuring out where the existing coax goes, or splitters and/or if the antenna is correct.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
IIRC, TV antennas are usually horizontally polarized instead of vertically polarized like a scanner requires. In other words, your TV antenna is like a scanner antenna lying on its side.

Usually on a vehicle, the TV antenna looks kind of like a boomerang on a pedestal (in my experience).

You *might* be able to use the already-run coax to connect a real radio/scanner antenna to the one end, and your scanner to the other. I wouldn't waste too much time with the actual TV antenna hardware now that you know it's not doing much for you.

btritch

The antenna in my van is as noted, Horizonally polarized but on the inside in the side window on the drivers side in the middle row of seats..It looks like a T, It's got the wire coming to it from the top and the just goes straight out towards the front and back of the van..Like a big tounge depressor I guess.. It sucked badly at TV anyhow with the tinted windows and metallic paint (which was all factory including the antenna so why they did it that way who the heck knows, They knew that!!) it blocked the signal, SO, I took a regular small scanner mag mount antenna and placed on top that I originally started using for the scanner, however, I switched to 800 MHZ and that antenna wasn't for 800 MHZ, therefore, I bought another antenna for scanner and used the old one to hook to the TV with a BNC to F connector, It worked GREAT! I was 190 + miles from my local tv station here last weekend and was STILL getting a decent TV signal, It could still be watched...I was suprized but as far as the coax goes, In the older vans, Usually in the back next to the door there is a spot or black thing that usually there should be an antenna on.. My aunt has a TV spot but no tv in hers and also A CB built in and both run to the antenna hookup in the back to which there is no antenna...

Moral to the story, Like stated, Probably better off getting an external scanner antenna magmount, etc. because they're vertical antenna's..Tv antenna's built in or not are usually horizonally placed..Which won't work... But hey, As you said, Alll you can do is TRY..And you did..The result..Not so great...It was worth a shot anyways....Good Luck, whatever your decision..

newmission

Good call on the suggestions! I was installing some new deeper cigarette lighter sockets and was curious as to where that coax led to anyways. If there was a hole on the roof, perhaps I could take advantage of it. But instead found that the cable could be pulled all the way out, and it was just sitting on top of the head boards!!! Some antenna eh? Shielded all the way. They must have been considering the crimped end as the antenna. DUH. :lol:

So I flipped for a pmm3b and can't wait to try it out. Heard lots of good things!

Status
Not open for further replies.