Status
Not open for further replies.

rob995

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose, CA
I have assigned a quick key (1) for a conventional group in FreeScan. Now I'd like to use it to go directly to that group.

I tried entering 1.
I tried pressing the function key and then entering 1.
I tried pressing the menu key and then entering 1.
None of these options will take me to that group.

How do I use a quick key that I have assigned to a group?
 

rob995

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose, CA
Ok, so I set the quick key of 1 for the system and 1 for the group.

I pressed Function, 1.
I pressed Function and 1 at the same time.
I pressed 1 then Function.
I pressed Function 1, 1

The scanner still doesn't jump to that group.
 

rob995

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose, CA
At the link you provided, the page says; "To toggle System/Site/Search Quick Keys on or off for a Single Digit system/site/search, press the number key assigned to the system/site/search."

When I press 1, the system beeps once, but does not change channels.
 

W6KRU

Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
3,462
Reaction score
86
Location
Vista, CA
At the link you provided, the page says; "To toggle System/Site/Search Quick Keys on or off for a Single Digit system/site/search, press the number key assigned to the system/site/search."

When I press 1, the system beeps once, but does not change channels.

It should start start scanning system 1, not change channels. If you want to manually change to a channel, that is a different topic and has nothing to do with quick keys.

http://marksscanners.com/396XT/396xt.shtml#using number tags
 
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Location
Appleton, WI
There are 2 types of quick keys. There are System/Site Quick Keys and there are Group Quick Keys.
You need to make sure that you program each into Freescan. System/Site Quick Keys are accessed by pressing the number 0 to 9 keys on the keypad or System/Site Quick Keys 0 to 9. For System/Site Quick Keys with numbers with 2 digits, you need to press the ./no key first then enter the 2 digit number.
To turn on and off Group Quick Keys, you first need to be scanning the proper System/Site. I usually turn off all other System/Sites first leaving only the System/Site you want scanning. Then while scanning that System/Site, you press the function key (and F shows up in the upper corner of the display) then press the 0 to 9 keys. This will turn on or off groups.

Sample Structure

System 1 – County A (System/Site Quick Key 1)
Group 1 – County Sheriff (Group Quick Key 1)
Frequency 1 – County Sheriff Channel 1
Frequency 2 – County Sheriff Channel 2

Group 2 – County Fire (Group Quick Key 2)
Frequency 1 – County Fire Channel 1
Frequency 2 – County Fire Channel 2

Group 3 – County Highway Department (Group Quick Key 3)
Frequency 1 – County Highway Department Channel 1
Frequency 2 – County Highway Department Channel 2

System 2 – Major City A (System/Site Quick Key 2)
Group 1 – Major City Police (Group Quick Key 1)
Frequency 1 – Major City Channel 1
Frequency 2 – Major City Channel 2

Group 2 – Major City Fire (Group Quick Key 2)
Frequency 1 – Major Fire Channel 1
Frequency 2 – Major Fire Channel 2

Group 3 – Major City Highway Department (Group Quick Key 3)
Frequency 1 – Major Highway Department Channel 1
Frequency 2 – Major Highway Department Channel 2
 

rob995

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose, CA
Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of quick keys. What is the purpose of quick keys if not to quickly go right to a system or group? What is the correct term or menu item to go directly to a system or group?
 

rob995

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose, CA
Ok, so you are scanning all the frequencies you have configured above, but you only want to listen to County A Sheriff. You first have to turn off all other systems/sites and groups so you are only listening to County A, and then you press Function, 1 so that you can listen to it?
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of quick keys. What is the purpose of quick keys if not to quickly go right to a system or group? What is the correct term or menu item to go directly to a system or group?

There seems to be some mass misunderstanding here.

Rob, what you want to set are NUMBER KEYS to go directly to a Group. You will need to set the System and Group Number Keys, say to 1 and 1 respectively, then to use them hit 1.1 MENU and you will go to that group in that system. If you set a Channel Number Key, say 5, then you can use 1.1.5 MENU and go directly to that specific channel.
 

rob995

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose, CA
Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like what I want to do is use number keys. So where would I program number keys in Freescan?

What is the purpose of quick keys?
 

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
13,295
Reaction score
1,132
Location
Arlington, TX
Quick Keys let you quickly enable/disable groups of channels for scanning.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like what I want to do is use number keys. So where would I program number keys in Freescan?

What is the purpose of quick keys?

Actually, I think the XT series only has System and Channel Number Tags, so to go to a Group, you would tag the first channel in that Group and use X.Y MENU to go there.

The System Number Tag is set at the System level in the XT OPTIONS area. The Channel Number tag is next to the last column in the Channel list. You may have to DISABLE "SIMPLE VIEW" (uncheck the box) to see this column.
 

teufler

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,355
Reaction score
4
Location
ST PETERS, MISSOURI
assign a number key, that would take you to a specific channel or frequency hat you want. As has been stated, you can hold while scanning. Lets say a frequency or channel has activity in the group that is of interest, press the hold key for about 2 seconds, you hear a double beep. you will go into system hold function then scan just that system. A handy feture. To get out of this, press the hold down again, about 2 seconds, get a double beeo and thre radios says off, then scan and you go back to scanning everything. Now a number tag is alittle different. When you are setting up your radio system,you can assign each system a quick key. A quick key up to 99. Okay, there is another spot to put a number in,below agc blocks on the right side of the Freescan screen, there is a number tag. I use the same number in the quick key assignment, so the numbers are the same. Then click tools, quick assignment, auto select , then ok. Now , still have the same system selected, go to a group of interest in that system. On the right side you see each frequency listed. Scroll all the way to the right, yousee a block for num tag . Select a number, keep track of that number. Say you input 1. save file and send to the scanner. now while scanning any group , press hold, then input the number for the system, then the . no key next to the 0, then the number 1 and press the black rocker button on the left side of the radio, the menu switch (its the bottom rocker). You have then gone to a particular channel or frequency. That beats trying to hold as you scan through all the systems , hopefully pressing hold at the right time. Heres the tricky part, keep track of the numbers you assign to each frequency or channel, there is noway to print out, like the quick key assignments. I just make an excell print out. Each number you will assign is unique, up to 99 again..
 

ofd8001

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
8,509
Reaction score
1,638
Location
Louisville, KY
I might be mis-understanding the thread, but let me chime in with the following.

This discussion involves three separate "things": System Quick Keys, Group Quick Keys and Number Tags.

A "System" is a container holding several things including "Groups" which is a smaller container holding channels. There may be several Groups within the System.

A System can have a Quick Key ("System Quick Key") to easily turn the system on or off.

Each Group within the System may have a Quick Key ("Group Quick Key") which turns the specific group on or off.

To toggle the System Quick Key on/off, press the number of the System Quick Key. If the System Quick Key number is 10 or greater, then you have to press the ./No before the number (as in ./No 10). (If you toggle a System off, then you've also toggled all the groups in the system off.)

To toggle the Group Quick Key on/off, while the scanner is scanning the System containing the group, press the Function button, then the number of the Group Quick Key.

Number Tags are an optional feature allowing someone to "jump" to a specific channel. If you wish to use this feature, you have to assign a Number Tag to the System and a Number Tag to each channel. (You don't have to assign number tags to all channels in the system - just those you might want to "jump" to.)

For the ease of memory, I'll assign the System Quick Key as my System Number Tag. For channel number tags, it is something I'll remember easily.

To jump to a tagged channel from HOLD mode, enter the system number tag followed by a decimal point then the channel’s number tag, then press [MENU]. The scanner goes to Scan Hold Mode at the entered number tag.
 

teufler

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,355
Reaction score
4
Location
ST PETERS, MISSOURI
well put, just wish their was a way to print the group and number tags within Freescan.. Only was I have figured out to is download to a csv file, then read in Excell and reformate their. Noit as easy as Freescans System key print out .
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
well put, just wish their was a way to print the group and number tags within Freescan.. Only was I have figured out to is download to a csv file, then read in Excell and reformate their. Noit as easy as Freescans System key print out .

If you make the System Number Tags the same as the System Quick Key, you can get those. No such workaround for Channel Number Tags. I usually make my Channel Number Tags logical - such as single-digit for most-used ones, 10-19 for PD, 20-29 for Fire, 30-39 for EMS, Etc. Then for each one the last digit is the channel (11 for PD 1, 12 for PD2, etc).
 

rob995

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 31, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose, CA
I think I get it!! I had Quick Keys and Number Tags confused.
I can configure Number Tags for a System or a Channel within a Group.
To jump to scanning a System, press [Hold], <System Number Tag>, [./no/pri], [MENU].
To jump to scanning a Channel, press [Hold], <System Number Tag>, [./no/pri],<Channel Number Tag>, [MENU].
 
Last edited:

teufler

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,355
Reaction score
4
Location
ST PETERS, MISSOURI
scanning a system is about right. after you press hold, the system number .no key then menu, you will be at the first frequency in the system but showing hold. now if you hold down the hold key, hold will start flashing and scanning now. On a channel, you will not scan, you just go to the channel assigned in a number tag. if you press scan then, you start scanning the entire radio again. But you are on "3rd base" heading home.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
I think I get it!! I had Quick Keys and Number Tags confused.
I can configure Number Tags for a System or a Channel within a Group.
To jump to scanning a System, press [Hold], <System Number Tag>, [./no/pri], [MENU].
To jump to scanning a Channel, press [Hold], <System Number Tag>, [./no/pri],<Channel Number Tag>, [MENU].

Now ya got it! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top