Using RSP1A With SdrSharp 1361

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC_zero_DSU

The Notes.txt file has these instructions for the CSV files -

Is there a site or a pdf file or something that has full documentation on setting up and using DSD+ ??? I fear this one program might require too much effort and complexity for me to handle, especially without unlimited time to mess with it and proper documentation.

thewraith2008

I think I have things installed correctly but I can't go any further or know if it's working until my Rsp1a actually get's here. I paid the $$$ for DSD+ fastlane updates and followed the instructions to install it. This DSD+ is a whole other beast, I feel I'm going to have more frustration and difficulty with it than anything else. Editing the config files, figuring out the proper format for editing them, and it appears there are files... csv and others possibly, that don't exist and you have to create yourself. It might be next winter before I actually figure all of this out. I was also wanting to see about getting OP25 set up in a Linux virtual machine. It's not that I couldn't do it. It's that this time of year until winter I don't have much time. During the winter work is slow for me and I have time for projects and tinkering but we're getting back in to the busy season now.
No one learnt all they know about using SDR in one go.
It's going to take time.

Read the supplied documentation or use the command line help where applicable.
Use the search in this forum as many questions you will ask will have been already posted at some point.
You will of course find even more information out there on the "information super highway".:D

Start with one thing and focus on getting that working. That process with help with the next thing you try and set-up.
- Don't start with setting up Linux/OP25 first. It's probably the hardest thing you can set out doing with SDR and you are likely to be discouraged when you start hitting problems.

Have fun with it. (y)

KC_zero_DSU

No one learnt all they know about using SDR in one go.
It's going to take time.

Read the supplied documentation or use the command line help where applicable.
Use the search in this forum as many questions you will ask will have been already posted at some point.
You will of course find even more information out there on the "information super highway".:D

Start with one thing and focus on getting that working. That process with help with the next thing you try and set-up.
- Don't start with setting up Linux/OP25 first. It's probably the hardest thing you can set out doing with SDR and you are likely to be discouraged when you start hitting problems.

Have fun with it. (y)

Right now as far as DSD+ is concerned I'm trying to figure out what all the bat files are for and what their abbreviations stand for, the states.csv file, I can't figure out what your supposed to do with it. It says to see the DSD+ 2.10 notes but I can't find any such thing anywhere among the files or online. The only notes.txt file I have is the one I have that says to see the notes but the only thing in their about those files is the link to download them. I copied the txt of the dmr_id file and pasted it in the .radios file. I installed vbcable, and found the number assigned to it and changed the O switch in CC & VC.bat to that number. Wish there was better documentation. On a side note I did get omni-rig and hdsdr set up so I can use hdsdr to control my FT-857d

KC_zero_DSU

KC_zero_DSU

Well I finally got my Rsp1a, I thought for sure it would at least come with the appropriate usb cable but it didn't come with no usb cable. Would a usb 3 cable and port work better? Or is it just usb 2 compatible? Wished it had came with an sma adapter too. I had to use the usb cable from my printer as it had the right D type connector on one end. I have quite a few connectors/adapters but sma is one type I'm short on. I had to use the one I use for my IC-T8A. It took a bunch of tweaking the cfg and bat files and other stuff but I finally got the Rsp1a talking to DSD+ and was able to start seeing that DSD+ was receiving the control channel for the local p25 system but no audio out. Still figuring out how to interface vbcable with DSD+ and also how to get Sdrsharp or one of the other programs to stream to DSD. And also it keeps showing that DSD keeps losing the control channel, searches thru some freqs then finds it again. When I was younger I think I had more patience, mainly because I had more time for tinkering. But these days all the stuff you have to go thru to get DSD to decode just one protocol or system seems like too much work. Thanks for all the help and encouragement though. I'm gonna keep messing with it. I can say this, the Rsp1a has among the best FM stereo reception I've ever heard, and good receive all around and I didn't touch the ppm adjustment.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Guess what I found wandering through the SDRPlay apps catalog...(re DSD+)

And there's a PDF associated with this, too.....really, you should get familiar with this catalog before you get mired in the quicksand...Mike

KC_zero_DSU

Guess what I found wandering through the SDRPlay apps catalog...(re DSD+)

And there's a PDF associated with this, too.....really, you should get familiar with this catalog before you get mired in the quicksand...Mike

Where is the PDF that you mention. unless I missed it I don't see it on the videos page anywhere. Thanks

DRL-XM43

Uh, you run FMPP-CC.bat and tune FMPP to a P25 control channel. You run 1R.bat to fire up DSD+. What more do you have to do?

Breath! LOL

I agree entirely there are 2 pre made batch files to run - these can even be consolidated into one batch file with minimal effort. I see a lot of posts where folks seem to be bewildered probably because all they needed to do was post on the forum and say I am trying to do X with DSD+ what is a good way to start. I am sure they would be assisted and promptly.

KC_zero_DSU

Breath! LOL

I agree entirely there are 2 pre made batch files to run - these can even be consolidated into one batch file with minimal effort. I see a lot of posts where folks seem to be bewildered probably because all they needed to do was post on the forum and say I am trying to do X with DSD+ what is a good way to start. I am sure they would be assisted and promptly.

Must be more to it because I did all of the above and I can SEE traffic but can not hear it. So how do I get the audio set up properly so I can actually hear what's going on? And I guess I thought I needed to configure the .frequencies file with the CC and VC frequencies for the site I'm wanting to monitor. And thought I needed to configure the .groups, .sites, and .networks file as well with appropriate information for that site. I am not new to scanners or ham radio or computers but I am entirely new to SDR and also never even owned a digital scanner until a month ago. So the digital modes on scanners and SDR are new to me. I've used packet radio and fsk on ham bands but to me nac's, tgid's, p25 all that stuff is new to me as well. And there is a lot more I'd like to be able to do with DSD+ besides monitoring p25...DMR, Fusion, ads-b, weather stuff. I'm just getting my feet wet with p25.

DRL-XM43

Must be more to it because I did all of the above and I can SEE traffic but can not hear it. So how do I get the audio set up properly so I can actually hear what's going on? And I guess I thought I needed to configure the .frequencies file with the CC and VC frequencies for the site I'm wanting to monitor. And thought I needed to configure the .groups, .sites, and .networks file as well with appropriate information for that site. I am not new to scanners or ham radio or computers but I am entirely new to SDR and also never even owned a digital scanner until a month ago. So the digital modes on scanners and SDR are new to me. I've used packet radio and fsk on ham bands but to me nac's, tgid's, p25 all that stuff is new to me as well. And there is a lot more I'd like to be able to do with DSD+ besides monitoring p25...DMR, Fusion, ads-b, weather stuff. I'm just getting my feet wet with p25.

The best way to assist a helper is to post the content of the batch files you launched then provide screen grabs of all the open FMPx and DSD+ windows.

slicerwizard

Must be more to it because I did all of the above and I can SEE traffic but can not hear it. So how do I get the audio set up properly so I can actually hear what's going on?
You use the DSD+ menus to set the audio output device. Stuff like that.

And I guess I thought I needed to configure the .frequencies file with the CC and VC frequencies for the site I'm wanting to monitor. And thought I needed to configure the .groups, .sites, and .networks file as well with appropriate information for that site.
You said you were monitoring a P25 trunking site, yes? Then there's nothing more that you need to do. You can do more, like set up network, site and group info, but it's not mandatory.

I am not new to scanners or ham radio or computers but I am entirely new to SDR and also never even owned a digital scanner until a month ago. So the digital modes on scanners and SDR are new to me. I've used packet radio and fsk on ham bands but to me nac's, tgid's, p25 all that stuff is new to me as well. And there is a lot more I'd like to be able to do with DSD+ besides monitoring p25...DMR, Fusion, ads-b, weather stuff. I'm just getting my feet wet with p25.
Just tune FMPP to some hammy DMR/Fusion/D-Star repeaters. Maybe download the DMR IDs file that's referenced in the Notes file.

ADS-B has nothing to do with DSD+. It's not a digital voice mode.

For analog WX or any other analog voice, just select Monitor Source Audio if No Sync and Signal Present in DSD+.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Where is the PDF that you mention. unless I missed it I don't see it on the videos page anywhere. Thanks

To see the PDF for that video, go to the SDRPlay apps catalog which I mentioned earlier. Some topics have YouTube videos and PDFs, others are one or the other. Mike

ArloG

Guy's. Just a question. Is there anything like a flowchart of how DSD+ works to decode audio?
Had to put DSD+ away for a bit. Getting things wrapped up at work, this virus **** and all.
Simply put will DSD+ Fastlane alone decode audio or is FMP or one of the variations necessary to run along side of it?
Later on I'll crack out the RSP2 and hook it back up and give it a go because using my new IC-R8600 with HDSDR gives spotty audio at most.
I know to the seasoned users it seems easy. Once I can understand what each module inside of the DSDPlus directory does life could be easier.

KC_zero_DSU

Guy's. Just a question. Is there anything like a flowchart of how DSD+ works to decode audio?
Had to put DSD+ away for a bit. Getting things wrapped up at work, this virus **** and all.
Simply put will DSD+ Fastlane alone decode audio or is FMP or one of the variations necessary to run along side of it?
Later on I'll crack out the RSP2 and hook it back up and give it a go because using my new IC-R8600 with HDSDR gives spotty audio at most.
I know to the seasoned users it seems easy. Once I can understand what each module inside of the DSDPlus directory does life could be easier.

That's where I'm at with DSD+, I want to know what everything is for. And still can't figure out how to get audio coming out. I can see that there is traffic in the command prompt window but can;t hear anything. And it appears that there are certain .bat files that work with SdrPlay sdr's and others that don't. I know that FMPP.bat and 1R.bat do and CC.bat & VC.bat appear to as well but none of the others seem to. BTW I'm jealous over that IC-R8600, how much did that cost you? It's out of my price range but I'd like to have an AR-ALPHA or AR-6000. In a few months I am going to buy an IC-7610 though.

slicerwizard

The purpose of every program is explained in either the 1.101 text files or the FL Notes.txt file, so start there? Text editors have search capabilities...

DSD+ uses flat audio from a source. The FMPx programs are sources; they convert I/Q data from SDR devices into audio. If you're using something like a mic or line input, or a virtual audio cable from some other program, obviously you don't need any of the FMPx stuff.

ArloG

That's where I'm at with DSD+, I want to know what everything is for. And still can't figure out how to get audio coming out. I can see that there is traffic in the command prompt window but can;t hear anything. And it appears that there are certain .bat files that work with SdrPlay sdr's and others that don't. I know that FMPP.bat and 1R.bat do and CC.bat & VC.bat appear to as well but none of the others seem to. BTW I'm jealous over that IC-R8600, how much did that cost you? It's out of my price range but I'd like to have an AR-ALPHA or AR-6000. In a few months I am going to buy an IC-7610 though.
I know when I get some of it figured out sharing knowledge will be one thing I'll be good at. If you see this Sliceman Thanks!
SDR# 1361 is supposedly the last version that works with the RSP's. As I said I can get my Icom to work with it too.
So when I get my RSP2 hooked up light may shine a little better.
I get it that the FMPx could be then considered a front-end control. But they only support a minimal number of radios. Got that.
Just wondering if "in the future" FMPx radio support could be expanded on.

As for the 8600. It sets beside my 8500 I got pre 9/11. I tweaked in the RF section and it held surprisingly well in all of those years.
But the 8600 is pure joy. Driver diversity is a bit lacking. An inquiry to Icom was replied with that they did not know what .NET version the drivers were compiled with in hopes I could get it to work with newer versions of SDRSharp. Bummer.
Version 1361 had the DSD plugin but making it work with Fastlane so far has been a bust.

KC_zero_DSU

So far I'm liking SDR and learning a lot. But I sure still like hardware scanners/receivers. Technology has came along way though and I've fallen behind. Just now getting back in to scanning & ham radio after being out of it for 15 years. I remember my first short wave was a Hallicrafter SX-110. Had to hunt down tubes for it, restring the tuning dial, and solder some loose connections but after that wow what a solid SW it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.