Using the extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
25,906
Reaction score
2,592
Location
Bowie, Md.
You may not know it, but it is possible to use specific tags to pull data in from our database, and populate that into a wiki article. You can read about them here;

RR Wiki Extensions - The RadioReference Wiki

This can be useful in cases such as researching a new system as changes are discovered and posted to the database. (That applies to new or changing trunk systems too). However a problem arises where the database is changed, but the wiki article doesn't show it.

The issue is caused by caching of the page. The wiki uses a cache very much like the one in your browser to speed up retrieval. However there's a downside - once the extension executes, the results of the extension are stored on the page along with everything else. So when the page is viewed again, it first gets the page from the cache - which brings the old data from the last extension's execution along with it. Therefore we need a method to purge the wiki cache to force the extension to execute again - this will pull any other changes applied to the database back into the wiki article.

We had a command that was built around the URL of the page being edited, but it was a bit obscure and easy to mess up. So I created a wiki template called Refreshpage that will execute this command. In addition, the text is deliberately made small so it does not interfere with the flow of the article. Here's an example;

{{Refreshpage
|Pageurl=http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Kentucky_Sports}}

The 2 squiggly brackets at the beginning and end are the shift of the left and right square brackets, respectively. This is the method by which the wiki calls a template. All you would need to do is to insert the URL of the page that is being edited after Pageurl= (notice that this is preceded by a vertical bar - the shift of \)

This should probably be put into the user's guide as a standard along with the article that documents the extensions.

best regards...Mike
 

soundchaser

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
442
Reaction score
28
Location
Elevation 8308', Colorado
freqsubcat

I saw an wiki article that used the freqsubcat tag and wanted to find more information. I searched the forum and there were no results. I searched the wiki and every article that used that tag was returned (too many results). The purpose of this post is only to make freqsubcat appear in forum searches so that other people can find the article on extensions.

It also would be nice if someone could link to the extensions article in the RR wiki help and faq pages. Needless to say I spent a lot of time trying to find this info.

Thanks!
 

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
11,368
Reaction score
11,367
Location
Central Indiana

soundchaser

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
442
Reaction score
28
Location
Elevation 8308', Colorado
Apparently I don't have the permissions to edit this page:
Quick guide to editing pages - The RadioReference Wiki

A link to the extensions page should be in section 3.10 or 4.0. There is no direct way to get to the extensions page from the help link on the left side the wiki page.

This is what I propose for 3.10:

===Special Radio Reference Extensions===
RadioReference.com has added some special tags to the standard wiki markup language which allows an author to embed frequencies and talk groups directly into an article from the database. For more information on these tags, see [[RR Wiki Extensions]].
 

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2004
Messages
11,368
Reaction score
11,367
Location
Central Indiana
The article you reference is a generic article about editing wiki articles. I'd like to keep that article clean of specific RadioReference Wiki extensions. However, I added a link to the RR Wiki User's Guide towards the end of the article.

You have to be logged into the Wiki in order to edit pages. Just being logged in to the forum or the home page doesn't log you into the Wiki.
 

soundchaser

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
442
Reaction score
28
Location
Elevation 8308', Colorado
The article you reference is a generic article about editing wiki articles. I'd like to keep that article clean of specific RadioReference Wiki extensions. However, I added a link to the RR Wiki User's Guide towards the end of the article.

Thanks!

You have to be logged into the Wiki in order to edit pages. Just being logged in to the forum or the home page doesn't log you into the Wiki.

I know that. But there are certain pages in the Wiki that I am unable to edit. Even though I am logged in, there are no edit links. The page mentioned above falls into that category. I assume those require a higher permission level. I have no problem editing collaboration articles.
 

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
25,906
Reaction score
2,592
Location
Bowie, Md.
That's correct. There are a small percentage of pages that are reserved for the sysop level or higher. The Gateways are an example - they anchor a great many subjects, so it's important to control changes to those pages, or they could get hosed in a hurry.

There are a few that are reserved due to RR policy descriptions as well. But all in all, 97% of the pages in the wiki can be edited by the general population

best regards..Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top