• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV 82 programing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnnk

I just bought a UV82 to replace my West Marine Marine radio that's battery is completely dead. I have called West Marine to try and buy a replacement and they told me they couldn't order because the radio is no longer made. So the Rep gave me another number to call that was a battery store and they told me the same thing. So as I looking I found the UV 82. I thought why not, maybe I can get both of two worlds(calling for help on a marine radio, and maybe if SHTF I could have a radio that might be useful other than on the water).

I have done what I have seen or read online.... Reset the radio... Download Chirp and use a good USB plug ... download radio... open config I chose US Marine VHF and NOA weather alert. I copied the NOA frequencies onto the US Marine VHF database. I also added frequencies I though might have good onfo if I just listened too. Then I uploaded to radio. Looks like everything made it to the radio. But when I went out on the water I did my normal radio check on SEA 9 (I am assuming that is a typical CH9) I got nothing. I couldn't even hear the NOA updates. Did I miss something? Do I need to do something else to the radio? I did notice that when I looked at the database on Chirp, I see offset numbers of 4.60000 and tune step of 25.0. When I checked the radio via the menu buttons the offset number is 0.0000 and tune step is 25.0. How do I get it to match with what's on Chirp? I have gone to the site that MIKLOR has about the UV82 and did change the sql settings to what is on the site. I have seen this radio work online and hoping I did not get a broken one. I did scan via frequency mode and did hear people talking for a few seconds. I also get static sound once in awhile. Thanks

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Aside from not being Part 80 certified for legal use on Marine Radio, that radio is also not waterproof...at all. Not sure I would be relying on that for anything.

SEA9 on CHIRP is Channel 9, yes. If you aren't even hearing the NOAA updates, something is definitely happening.

hill

Premium Subscriber
The UV82 is a cheap starter ham radio and I wouldn't depend on it for a marine distress use. It is not waterproof and you really can't depend on these type of radios working during a marine emergency. I think you life is worth more than the price of cheap Chinese radio.

Going forward see the link below to a name brand Standard VHF handheld for $99 and this a much better choice. The channels will be correct and it's able to last in a damp marine area. The radio will have one button access to VHF channel 16 the distress channel, so it something happens to you others onboard the vessel should be able to use the simple radio. Marine radios are made simple to be able to used by non-radio types.

If it has an offset on you need to turn this off, so it can transmit and receive on the same frequency.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The UV82 is a cheap starter ham radio and I wouldn't depend on it for a marine distress use. It is not waterproof and you really can't depend on these type of radios working during a marine emergency. I think you life is worth more than the price of cheap Chinese radio.

Going forward see the link below to a name brand Standard VHF handheld for $99 and this a much better choice. The channels will be correct and it's able to last in a damp marine area. The radio will have one button access to VHF channel 16 the distress channel, so it something happens to you others onboard the vessel should be able to use the simple radio. Marine radios are made simple to be able to used by non-radio types.

If it has an offset on you need to turn this off, so it can transmit and receive on the same frequency.

Completely agree with everything except the last part. Not all marine frequencies transmit and receive on the same frequency, so an offset would be used. It would not be used on Channel 9, but would be on others, so it's perfectly normal to see the 4.6 offset as he is seeing on some channels, and then 0.0 offset that he is seeing on others.

hill

Premium Subscriber
You are correct that some marine channels are duplex, but the ones we mostly use are simplex.

The duplex ones were used for the old marine telephone operators.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
You are correct that some marine channels are duplex, but the ones we mostly use are simplex.

The duplex ones were used for the old marine telephone operators.

Right...what I'm saying is that he was questioning the offset he was seeing in CHIRP. It is perfectly normal to see that in there.

Jnnk

Thanks for the replies. I will probably spring for a Marine Radio. But I have this one now and still wondering why I see the frequencies on the radio but the settings that I see on CHIRP are not there.

nd5y

So do I need to set the radio settings in a certain way?
Yes and you need knowledge and experience in radio programming to be able to do it correctly.
If you don't have that then you should sell the Baofeng and buy a real marine radio that doesn't require programming or messing with other settings.

Jnnk

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to use this cheapy until I got the hang of it then spring for a more expensive one. I saw mixed reviews and how to program it via chirp. Seemed easy enough. Guess I will try and find a place that can do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.