• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

V1.40 beta Trunking freescan Basic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

minasha

I have my G5 updated to 1.40 beta free scan, everything looks ready to go here is my basic question:
When I set up my scan list which will have 3 different systems each with only 2 Talk groups real simple
I assumed i could set it up in zone 1 knob 1 and access it there. Is that right???
Or do i need to go into the menu and select trunking freescan everytime I want to use it?
Thanks

minasha

From what I know if you want to scan multiple P25 systems you must
use trunking free scan. You can set it up under PTGL and choose the knob
positions you want to scan.
Can I set my multiple scan list to zone 1 knob 1 for instance, that way I just go to that knob when I turn it on a start listening. Or do i have to go to the menu and select trunking freescan to use?

bkramm

There is no way that I know of to set to any knob position.
Only way I do it is to go to trunking freescan and then down to PTGL and select which
combination you have in that list.

minasha

There is no way that I know of to set to any knob position.
Only way I do it is to go to trunking freescan and then down to PTGL and select which
co nowmbination you have in that list.
Thank you

minasha

When I go to trunking free skin and ptgl it scans but the backlight stays on constant. Does yours do that

minasha

yes my back light stays on all the time.
guessing it is because it is changing systems, but that is only a guess.
Would be easier on the battery if it would go out after the timeout.
It is simple to set a knob position for trunking freescan,
In PPS D6 Pick a zone and knob let's say zone 1 knob 1 if anything is there delete or just use a fresh knob position.
Double click the box and select "trunking freescan" in receiving mode.
That's it! Now whatever you have when you manually select trunking freescan from the pager's menu will be duplicated in that zone and knob.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
I plan to get a G5 shortly. I do want the scan feature but, it appears to be in beta testing. Has there been any comments as to when it will be released in a usable form?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I had the Freescan Beta but went back to the standard firmware now at ver 1.3.
This version still has the talkgroup hold and talkgroup block feature which is really all I needed.
I tried the freescan feature and let my G5 scan between an upper and lower limit that I set but I can't say it was anything I really needed.
All my other scanner do that function much easier and also work well enough regardless if a site suffers from LSM. The results were always good enough for finding new things instead of getting into the G5's menu with PPS and programming freescan limits.

I suppose for some, the freescan feature would be very handy but if you have other scanners that can decode P25 digital voice, I think you will find them easier to use than the freescan feature.

In time, Unication could add to the Freescan feature and if so, I'll look at that again.
Freescan may also be nice if you travel into areas your G series is not programmed for any systems.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
ok, I missed the beta as I got my radio the day after it closed, but let's say I'm monitoring a state system and have 3 different talkgroups, but each talkgroup is fixed to a particular site so TG A is on Site A TG B is on Site B TG C Is on Site C, will the free scan make it possible to monitor all 3?

the reason i ask this is at Home we have 1 system but 2 different simulcasts one for Orange County and one for Orlando, some talkgroups are on both but some are not

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
ok, I missed the beta as I got my radio the day after it closed, but let's say I'm monitoring a state system and have 3 different talkgroups, but each talkgroup is fixed to a particular site so TG A is on Site A TG B is on Site B TG C Is on Site C, will the free scan make it possible to monitor all 3?

the reason i ask this is at Home we have 1 system but 2 different simulcasts one for Orange County and one for Orlando, some talkgroups are on both but some are not
Yes, it does a pretty good with multiple systems as long as you don't get carried away LOL

tkowalik

Banned

I scan 6 sites across 2 systems with a delay of 3 seconds and while you will miss traffic, I find it isn’t much. I set mine up as each knob position has one site and only the control channel (no alts) and then scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.