V8s abroad - taking their own comms gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi folks,
Looking forward to seeing the V8s in America in May 2013. When I go to races, I tend to listen to the comms for the safety teams (safety car, rescue/tow truck/etc) as I find them the most interesting (and they have the most details about what's going on!).

I've only ever been to one other V8 race (Bathurst 2010) so I can't answer my own question, thus I'll ask you. When going outside Australia to race i.e. Yas, NZ, etc., does VESC take their own comms gear and operate on the "usual" frequencies they do in Australia, or do they operate on systems that the host track has in place?

This question popped into my mind seeing F1 racing at Texas this weekend. It would appear the Texas track has a radio system that may be unmonitorable (MotoTRBO) and I want to determine if there's any point in me exerting energy on figuring out programming for my scanner come May. :)

Thanks!

By the way, if the BathurstScan webmaster is on here, Google Safe Browsing threw a huge warning at me when I tried to visit your site:

Of the 22 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 21 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-11-17, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-11-17.
Malicious software includes 19 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 5 domain(s), including yokarok.tk/, xarerovi.tk/, pillareducation.com.au/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including pillareducation.com.au/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS45638 (EVERY).

philbert87

Multi State AU - DB Admin
Database Admin
Jay,

this message has been passed onto the webmaster. as far as were aware the v8 teams will have to change frequencies in accordance with the FCC i know they use different frequencies in Aba Dubai and i think NZ so i would imagine it will be different there. hope this helps.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
For the Australian meets, they publish the driver frequencies on the website a few days before hand. I'm not sure if they do they OS ones but it may pay to keep an eye out on it

Jay911

Feed Provider
Interesting - NXDN with an analog component to allow fans to keep listening.. that's a strange way to do it. Like going HD from the TV camera through to the transmitter, but sending out an analog NTSC signal so that people with 3" pocket TVs from 1983 can watch.

I guess I'll find out in May. I have reasonable suspicions they'll keep their regular frequencies and equipment especially if they invested a lot into it as per that article. Similarly - IMSA in North America takes not only their radios, but their safety trucks and medical cars to events all over the continent. Their Georgia-based (or Florida-based, I forget which) "rolling stock" is present every year at my "home track" in Canada.

Speaking of medical cars - that little drama between Giz and the medical car in Sydney proves how interesting it would have been to listen to the safety channel this weekend ;)

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
For the Australian meets, they publish the driver frequencies on the website a few days before hand. I'm not sure if they do they OS ones but it may pay to keep an eye out on it

Is this publishing done on v8supercars.com.au? Looks like the site has undergone a reno since I last looked at it, and I'm not having much luck finding any info.

If you have a link to a listing, even from a past event, it'd be much appreciated if you could share it.

Status
Not open for further replies.