VA STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

resqpig

I'm picking up what seems to be Salem 1 on DEC 2112 which is supposed to be DCR 6, but seem to be picking up traffic on Salem 1 also. Doesn't seem to be a simulcast. Any ideas?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
This is a long standing issue with no idea as to the why of it.

2112 is patched to 769 which is Salem 2. Don't ask me why but all Salem 2 traffic is on 2112 and its been that way in the latest incarnation for months.

It seems that every time they go back to 769 units complain about the radio and suddenly its back to 2112. 767 is still used exclusively for Salem 1 though.

The only new thing I've noticed and maybe someone can explain it who actually understands these things but on DSDPlus it shows the following.

When 769 is primary use TG it reads "Patch Supergroup 769" then below "Patch Subgroup 2112"

When 2112 is primary use TG it reads "Patch Supergroup 2112 then below it says "Patch Subgroup 769"

All 769 traffic comes over 2112. See following screenshots.

They occasionally switch back as I said but it doesn't seem to last very long.

As to simulcast, I think its more multicast. They transmit over multiple sites at the same time but whether that is really a simulcast type thing or not is something maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer.

Attachments

• 2112-769 Patch.jpg
    2112-769 Patch.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 594
  • 2112 Image.jpg
    2112 Image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 582

W4UVV

Just a guess....

I remember you documented this problem years ago. I assume the original problem was Alleghany District 6 C/R LE6 mobiles had problems accessing/maintaining reliable comms on selected Division 6 STARS sites and the solution was to patch all TG 2112 comms into/via TG 769. But for some technical reason TG2112 is being recognized by the system as second controller as an equal dispatch talkgroup and not disconnecting the patch when the initial C/R comm(s) is/are terminated.

It could be a matter of a STARS radio tech changing a logic software setting(s) in a system controller at the appropriate level(s). With all the previous documented complaints, common sense would have dictated the VSP Division 6 Office would have submitted a high priority work order to the Richmond NOC to resolve the talkgroup's relationship conflicts.

....the wheel which squeaks the loudest gets the oil.

John
W4UVV

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
The patches generally have always ran 24/7 on multiple sites per both Pro96 and DSDPlus.

They certainly had problems several years ago and don't seem to use STARS much now. Mostly 41/42 and occasionally if there is a problem. Most traffic seems to be on their old analog stuff and you also hear them on Alleghany's sheriff channel now and then sometimes asking ASO to relay stuff to VSP dispatch.

Last week I suddenly couldn't pick up several sties including 221, 223, 224 and 226. 222 was much poorer than before. The next day radio techs were out this way and suddenly they were all back and booming. I even get 231 now and 226 is better than before as are all of them for that matter.

Also noticed they did away with the 190 NAC and all sites in range have new NAC codes for each. I updated RR yesterday with new NACs, freqs and site neighbors for a number of sites.

I don't know what the problem with the CR units is other than Douthat seems to be a dead zone for radios. As I said most comms are over the old Douthat freqs.

Maybe they ought to switch to the new GWNF P25 system which is booming and has had a lot more activity recently.

anelson5004

I am not receiving talk groups 767 or 769. I am receiving Wytheville 1 and 2 which is talk groups 751 and 753 respectfully without any problems. I was reading about talk group 2112 using Salem 2. I own a whistler TRX2. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cobraDIHO

Salem's units wouldn't affiliate with any towers within your range unless they were traveling outside of their division...

anelson5004

I can receive Salem when I do a Public Safety "Service Search" on frequencies 159.225 and sometimes on 159.135 and I am connected by an outdoor antenna and I also received them on my old scanner which was a Radio Shack Pro 197. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Just because you can receive a trunking freq while in conventional mode doesn't mean you can trunk track it. I pick up WV SIRN trunking freqs in conventional mode out here sometimes but the signal isn't good enough to actually scan the site itself and pick up anything. The scanner has to be able to find, lock on and decode the control channel to trunk track the site. If any of those three don't happen or happen good enough then it won't work. Scanning a trunked site conventionally doesn't require decoding of the control channel. Its easier to pick up that way but you can't trunk track it that way.

Program 2112 in your scanner and see if you get it. Its what Salem 2 is using. That's all I can say. You will have to be scanning sites which carry that traffic or you won't hear it. IF you're only scanning Wythe sites you probably won't pick up Salem very often as you've been told many times.

The TRX requires you to have each site in a separate list to scan it as I and others told you before as well.

Alternatively you could program all STARS Site voice freqs you can receive at your location and scan them as conventional channels. Your TRX allows you to get TG ID, UID and NAC off conventional freqs. Its better than nothing if you can't adequately receive the CC.

Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Well radio maint was out all over today doing whatever and 769 Salem 2 is back as primary for traffic.

Don't know how long that will last but it is back up and operational and shows as supergroup while 2112 is now subgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.