VARDA alarm question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squad10

Today, I heard what seemed to be a VARDA alarm voice message repeated three times on 156.000. Haven't heard something like this since the 80s. Anybody know of VARDA alarm units still in use (of recent) in your area?

VARDA - A Voice-activated radio-dispatched alarm, or VARDA-alarm, is a type of burglar alarm that, when activated or 'tripped', broadcasts the type and location of alarm over the local police radio frequency using a pre-recorded audio message.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It would be helpful if you posted WHERE you heard the VARDA alarm.

I haven't heard one since the early 90's when most local agencies in my neck of the woods went to 800 MHz. Who's still using 156.000?

Squad10

It would be helpful if you posted WHERE you heard the VARDA alarm.

I haven't heard one since the early 90's when most local agencies in my neck of the woods went to 800 MHz. Who's still using 156.000?

Helpful for what?

Heard in Chicago suburbs.

156.000 w/PL used for suburban PD repeater input. Used years ago CSQ by county metro. drug enforcement group operating mobile-only under State of Illinois RSL. CSQ when I received the voice alarm message.

Thought VARDA type alarm usage was long gone.

Just curious if General Scanning forum readers have heard recent similar alarm type usage.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Still in use on Plano Tx P25 system. Heard in the last 60 days announcing a burglar alarm. They call them "Agent Alarms" on this system.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Helpful for what?

Heard in Chicago suburbs.

So people could have some clue who might be using it.

156.000 w/PL used for suburban PD repeater input. Used years ago CSQ by county metro. drug enforcement group operating mobile-only under State of Illinois RSL. CSQ when I received the voice alarm message.

Good. Now someone who want's to research this further has all the information they need.

Thought VARDA type alarm usage was long gone.

I did too, which is why I asked where. That frequency was used in several places in Southern California, where I'm located, and it would be amusing to hear. Being as I now know it was heard near Chicago, I won't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.