Vegetation Fire @ Sierra and I15

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd6ecz

I'm hearing the initial dispatch of a vegetation fire at Sierra Ave and I15 near Fontana behind the AM/PM. They are calling it the Devore IC.

CalFire dispatched multiple engines, strike teams, a hand crew, and one helicopter on 151.445 and said USFS and Comm Center have been notified.

kd6ecz

Boy... with all that apparatus, you'd think a major incident was starting. Apparently not.

Comm Center reports on scene with a 2x2 spot so most equipment has been canceled.

Never mind.

Eng74

Look where that call is, right near the base of the mountains and I don't think the wind ever gets below 20mph there. A couple of other things to remember is that 1) It is already fire season so there are set dispatches for areas and the way calls come in. 2.) It is always easier to turn stuff around after someone gets on scean and gives a good size up. If you need more help they are a lot closer than if they were sitting in the station.

kd6ecz

Oh yeah... I understand that completely. That is pretty close to where the 2003 Grand Prix Fire, the 1988 Texas Fire, and even the 1970 Meyer Fire all started. The wind will take any sort of flame and push it to across the face of the mountain if given the chance. I just have never heard such a large response for an uncomfirmed fire before. That was pretty wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.