• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Virginia FD Report: Digital Radios Extremely Vulnerable

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyparamedic

rescue161 said:
Digital is fine for fire ground ops.

The problem comes into play when they are using a trunking system. Why in the World would you want to run your FG ops through a repeater/trunking system when you're talking to fire team members that are a few feet away or to the Command Post that is right outside???

Back before digital, we NEVER ran our FG ops through a repeater - ever. It was always on a single frequency for transmit and receive.

Switch to a conventional (non-repeater) channel for FG ops. The Command Post can relay info on the TRS if the need arises.

I'll give you one reason - so that everything can be recorded by dispatch. Our fire dept. got a grant that put our whole county on a trunked system for interoperability. After 6 months, they went back to conventional VHF because they weren't satisfied with the in-building coverage. They wanted everything going through the repeater so that everyone was listening and so that it would be recorded and monitored by dispatch. They had some issues on a structure fire where the audio was garbled and unreadable on the TRS. Standard simplex channels were put in all the TRS portables for FG ops but they didn't want to use these as this defeated their whole purpose for the TRS, which was the emergency button. Very stupid in my opinion, but that's why I'm not on the FD. So now they no longer use the TRS and we have less interoperability than before when we were at least all on VHF. Now law enforcement and EMS are on trunked and FD is on VHF. Kind of ironic if you ask me. They still have to use simplex on some fire scenes because of coverage issues on VHF. Yet I'm able to go into that same building on my trunked radio and get out just fine.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
What's to stop dispatch from recording/monitoring a simplex channel? Dispatch did it that way long back before digital. It can still be done. People have become lazy in that it's easier to let the repeater/system make it easier for them and they're buying in to the idea that trunking is the BEST. It's not. It is very easy for an agency to record comms on a simplex frequency and lot cheaper than paying Motorola or M/A-Com to do it for them.

kyparamedic said:
I'll give you one reason - so that everything can be recorded by dispatch. Our fire dept. got a grant that put our whole county on a trunked system for interoperability. After 6 months, they went back to conventional VHF because they weren't satisfied with the in-building coverage. They wanted everything going through the repeater so that everyone was listening and so that it would be recorded and monitored by dispatch. They had some issues on a structure fire where the audio was garbled and unreadable on the TRS. Standard simplex channels were put in all the TRS portables for FG ops but they didn't want to use these as this defeated their whole purpose for the TRS, which was the emergency button. Very stupid in my opinion, but that's why I'm not on the FD. So now they no longer use the TRS and we have less interoperability than before when we were at least all on VHF. Now law enforcement and EMS are on trunked and FD is on VHF. Kind of ironic if you ask me. They still have to use simplex on some fire scenes because of coverage issues on VHF. Yet I'm able to go into that same building on my trunked radio and get out just fine.

richardc63

Hi Scott,

I totally agree with you. The only exceptions is where the incident ground is so large that you cannot communicate back from a handheld to the appliance. For example, we have a shopping mall which is the largest in the Southern Hemisphere, 10 acres in area & 8 stories high. Using simplex from the appliance is impossible- so we use a simple analogue (could be digital in the future) PMR base on the roof. 10W and a dipole covers the entire centre to handheld grade coverage. Yes, it is a potential point of failure but in this case simplex will not work. Another one is rail tunnels... ours have trunking coverage in them through leaky coax but what happens when a train derails (or worse a bomb or fire)... ooops, you lose the leaky coax! This is where simple, highly mobile and robust incident ground systems are a must. But using the trunking system for FG ops- never.

Cheers,

Richard
rescue161 said:
Digital is fine for fire ground ops.

The problem comes into play when they are using a trunking system. Why in the World would you want to run your FG ops through a repeater/trunking system when you're talking to fire team members that are a few feet away or to the Command Post that is right outside???

Back before digital, we NEVER ran our FG ops through a repeater - ever. It was always on a single frequency for transmit and receive.

Switch to a conventional (non-repeater) channel for FG ops. The Command Post can relay info on the TRS if the need arises.

kyparamedic

rescue161 said:
What's to stop dispatch from recording/monitoring a simplex channel? Dispatch did it that way long back before digital. It can still be done. People have become lazy in that it's easier to let the repeater/system make it easier for them and they're buying in to the idea that trunking is the BEST. It's not. It is very easy for an agency to record comms on a simplex frequency and lot cheaper than paying Motorola or M/A-Com to do it for them.

They could, but depending on the incident location, the signal is unlikely to make it back to dispatch. That's why they use the repeater. A better solution would be to use a mobile voice logger that's installed in the incident commander's unit.

D

DaveNF2G

If the system is designed properly, then there should be no trouble getting a simplex signal back to the dispatcher. It is exactly the same as getting the signal on the repeater input back to the dispatcher. The dispatch center has to be connected to the receiver site rather than using the equivalent of a mobile radio. Then they can hear everything the main receiver hears.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I thought that digital comms were being introduced in order to make more radio channels available. Does anyone know of any area that has made more channels available via the advent of digital comms? I think that Harry M said that LAPD came up with a bunch of new channels when they went digitial, but I have never worked thru their radio system to see how this was accomplished. 99% of the PDs in New Hamsphire went digital, but apparently very few extra channels have been added. The Atlanta area and the Dallas / Fort Worth area have lots of trunking, but I see no evidence that digital has allowed the introduction of multiple new channels there.

Boston FD has been running all of their comms on 4 UHF repeaters for about 25 years now. All comms are done via the repeaters - unless they get into a deep deep hole - then the units in the deep deep hole will switch to talkaround on the output of the repeater. The Boston FD dispatchers are always actively involved in fireground comms (since they can easily transmit and receive at the same time, in a quiet setting).

Peter Sz

D

DaveNF2G

Actually, it was refarming that made more channels available (changing the spacing between channels). Digital is supposed to make it possible to run true narrowband voice communications without adjacent channel interference.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
I think that channel spacing and channel width go hand in hand.

IIRC the VHF highband was originally spaced at .03 Mhz (155.01, 155.04, 155.07, etc). Then new channels were added at .015 Mhz (155.01, 155.025, 155.04, 155.055, 155.07, etc). Co-channel seperation was maybe 30 miles, and adjacent channel seperation was 6 miles IIRC. I know that with 20K0F3E emissions (regular analog FM) channels spaced at .015Mhz will overlap. (You can see that by just doing the math).

This report might shed some light on the situation -

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/reports/2007/FreqAssignMethods_07_447.pdf

Peter Sz

kyparamedic

Are we talking about new frequencies that are available for use or new "channels" in the sense of talkgroups on TRS? If it's the latter, trunking alone has allowed us to have a lot more channels/TG's for everyday use that we couldn't have before when on VHF. However, we're actually taking up more of the radio spectrum than before because we operate both a VHF and 800 MHz system for redundancy.

D

DaveNF2G

Trunking has allowed manufacturer sales reps to inflate the number of "channels" available to a user unrealistically.

If you have a 6-channel trunked system with 5 talkgroups, all 5 users will be able to transmit at the same time. The sixth repeater is the control channel and cannot carry voice on most EDACS, Moto, or P25 systems.

If you have 250 talkgroups (or "channels"), then there still will be only enough real channel capacity for 5 users to transmit at the same time.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
But only having 5 "real" channels is unrealistic too unless each of those "channels" is being transmitted on 24/7 without any breaks. This as we know is not the case.

DaveNF2G said:
Trunking has allowed manufacturer sales reps to inflate the number of "channels" available to a user unrealistically.

If you have a 6-channel trunked system with 5 talkgroups, all 5 users will be able to transmit at the same time. The sixth repeater is the control channel and cannot carry voice on most EDACS, Moto, or P25 systems.

If you have 250 talkgroups (or "channels"), then there still will be only enough real channel capacity for 5 users to transmit at the same time.

kyparamedic

DaveNF2G said:

Right, but on a conventional system, each separate channel would need its own frequency pair if it's going to be repeated. We have a TG to talk to the hospital on. We don't use it all that often so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to tie up 2 frequencies 24/7 just for the ocassional use. In the neighboring county, they have 6 hospitals. Obviously you wouldn't want to tie up 12 frequencies just to be able to talk to these hospitals. There are numerous other examples such as tactical channels, etc. that trunking makes a lot of sense for.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Just to throw another angle at y'all.

If you are using a conventional repeater system, and someone nearby tells you that you are all broken up, you can switch to direct and reach the other party. This is typically not possible with a trunked system. (Unless the IC has a 2nd radio to listen on a dedicated simplex / direct / conventional freq).

There is a million angles to all of this radio communications stuff. Peter Sz

richardc63

zerg901 said:
Just to throw another angle at y'all.

If you are using a conventional repeater system, and someone nearby tells you that you are all broken up, you can switch to direct and reach the other party. This is typically not possible with a trunked system. (Unless the IC has a 2nd radio to listen on a dedicated simplex / direct / conventional freq).

There is a million angles to all of this radio communications stuff. Peter Sz

Peter,

Huh? So what? There are more things you can't do on a conventional system that you can do on a trunked system. Like multiple conversations, like private calls, and so on. That doesn't mean one is better than the other, but it always is a case of "horses for courses" and choosing the system that suits your needs. I use both and I like both- in the right place.

Cheers,

Richard

richardc63

rescue161 said:
But only having 5 "real" channels is unrealistic too unless each of those "channels" is being transmitted on 24/7 without any breaks. This as we know is not the case.

The trick with trunking is not to break your fleet down into ridiculously small talkgroups. I would question why any site with 5 channels would ever have 250 talkgroups affiliated to it. If I was the system manager I would be taking a look at the traffic stats to see whether some of these were warranted. We are a very very large organisation covering a very large area on a trunk system of 100+ sites and we have about 80 tgs of which about 4-5 are used daily and the rest used for special ops. Our smallest regular talkgroup would have 40-50 radios on it and we have stuff all contention between radios needing to transmit simultaneously.

Cheers,

Richard

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Richard said - huh so what

I say - it is a tremendous disadvantage if you cannot quickly switch to 'direct' to get out of a hole.

I know that trunked systems have some advantages. Some trunked systems regularly use direct and conventional for firescene ops (ie Cambridge MA FD).

Peter Sz

Raccon

zerg901 said:
I say - it is a tremendous disadvantage if you cannot quickly switch to 'direct' to get out of a hole.
Why not? If you (can) switch to direct is a matter of the radio, not the system. And there are trunked systems with radios that support direct communication.

kyparamedic

Raccon said:
Why not? If you (can) switch to direct is a matter of the radio, not the system. And there are trunked systems with radios that support direct communication.

I was wondering about this. So it's possible to switch to a simplex mode on a trunked radio and talk to someone who's operating on a trunked channel? How does this work? We have a walkie-talkie mode on our trunked radios that is just a conventional, simplex set of channels but we cannot hear anyone operating on a trunked channel nor can they hear us, so it's rarely used.

N1BHH

Some systems have conventional frequencies connected with a specific talk group, VHF to 800 as an example. Some are even in the same band. That's called flexibility. Your firefighter needs to learn how to use the radio as part of his academy training and when he has trouble, they should know enough to switch the channel when needed.

richardc63

N1BHH said:
Some systems have conventional frequencies connected with a specific talk group, VHF to 800 as an example. Some are even in the same band. That's called flexibility. Your firefighter needs to learn how to use the radio as part of his academy training and when he has trouble, they should know enough to switch the channel when needed.

Clyde,

I think I understand what you are saying but I'm not sure how it works in practice (in a multsite trunking system). Are you saying that the conventional frequency used is one of the voice channels (base tx) on the trunking base? I can "get" that but in a multisite trunking system different frequency pairs are used at different sites (for obvious reasons) so how do you choose the conventional freq to match?

Cheers,

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.