Virtual Radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
But the software is getting something to show its getting data. Do some not transmit the GPS data but other information?

If it is simply Mode S transmissions, then you will not receive GPS position data. With Mode S, you will get the ICAO code, Callsign information (Sometimes, if filled in), altitude, and Squawk Codes (Sometimes).

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Here is what my Base Station screen looks like right now, displaying Mode S and ADS-B equipped aircraft. My screen is displaying some additional data, not specifically derived from the data signal :)

Attachments

• SBS-3 Capture.jpg
    SBS-3 Capture.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 407

frazpo

Ah,,OK. Thanks for the info. This is something I have not yet explored. Very fun. Love radios and love aviation. How much better can it get.

frazpo

Outside of individual ads-b servers how does Flightaware obtain live tracking on their site. I can see planes locations on the site that I cannot locate on my own station nearby. Are their different modes that they have access to??

Just now adventuring into adsb stuff so this may be a stupid question.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Other people contributing their ADS-B data probably have better receiving antennas than you. I thought I was doing OK until I decided to build a collinear antenna specifically for 1090 MHz, and then I realized I had no idea what I was missing. The number of planes I was able to track was easily triple.

frazpo

Other people contributing their ADS-B data probably have better receiving antennas than you. I thought I was doing OK until I decided to build a collinear antenna specifically for 1090 MHz, and then I realized I had no idea what I was missing. The number of planes I was able to track was easily triple.

OK. I need to do that I guess. But are their other modes other than ads-b that is accessible by other means to get location plots? Which antenna plan you use?

And Wargames was an awesome movie. Wardialer days

eorange

But are their other modes other than ads-b that is accessible by other means to get location plots?
Not that I know of. I only receive Mode-S / ADS-B on 1090 MHz.

Antenna plans: search youtube for "Making an inexpensive 1090MHz ADS-B collinear antenna" by nerdsville. That's the one I built and it works great.

WarGames: yes it was. I actually got to play with an IMSAI 8080 right around that same time as the movie.

frazpo

Not that I know of. I only receive Mode-S / ADS-B on 1090 MHz.

Antenna plans: search youtube for "Making an inexpensive 1090MHz ADS-B collinear antenna" by nerdsville. That's the one I built and it works great.

WarGames: yes it was. I actually got to play with an IMSAI 8080 right around that same time as the movie.

I built a collinear antenna. However there are some different versions and even some forum arguments about what to do with the end. Did you connect the core and the shield? The version I built actually has 4 /12 inches of unshielded core at the end. That core ended up being connected to the shield at the plug end.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/This Month in QST/January 2014/VirtualRadarJan2013QST.pdf

eorange

I did not connect the core and the shield on the far end. On the "feedline" end...I just jammed the 1st element into a length of RG6, which has a male F connector on the other end. Used a F to BNC adapter and that was it.

frazpo

I did not connect the core and the shield on the far end. On the "feedline" end...I just jammed the 1st element into a length of RG6, which has a male F connector on the other end. Used a F to BNC adapter and that was it.

OK so I guess my question is does it matter what part of the antenna (core or shield) ends up as the middle, per say, of the feed line and into the dongle? I don't know antennas but I have always thought of the shield part as the ground.

eorange

It doesn't matter in this case, because the shield in your feedline (for example) will alternate connecting through a center conductor, then shield, then c.c., as it progresses through your elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.