• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Visar programming trouble/rib comm. unsuccesful

Status
Not open for further replies.

agm13

Hello everybody!
I have a big problem which have been completely described at topic.
So, there are couple Visars, model H05KDD9AA4DN.
I have two (tried both) programming cables with RIB.
I also have program for HT1000/JT/Visar, its version is 3.03.
Everything is officially from Motorola!
I run it with old computer on windows 98 in DOS mode. Everything i can get:
"RIB PORT COMMUNICATION UNSUCCESSFUL"

Please, provide any help, if you can.

WPXS472

I don't think a DOS window in any flavor of Windows will work. I am no expert on this matter, it is just that I have never gotten that particular software to work under Windows. I know this sounds like a broken record, but, get DOS. A DOS window running within Windows isn't the same as DOS. If I remember correctly, this particular software isn't sensitive to processor speed, so you can run it on a fairly modern PC.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly on win 98 there's a restart option that boots you to straight dos correct? So I assume when you say you're using dos you mean actual dos and not a dos window inside of 98. If that's correct, have you checked your com port assignment in the software (F9)?
If all of that is right I'd make sure the contacts on your radio are clean. Lightly cleaning them with a pencil eraser works well. The only other thing I can think of is are you sure it's the right cable? There's a few other cables to look the same but are pinned differently.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The larger issue is that the clock is too fast, you need a 486 SX-25 or slower. The same problems occur when programming analog Sabers. and you can actually corrupt the code plug. The DOS mode in Win 98 will work, but again it's the clock speed issue. There used to be a program called SloMo that helped, but I have never personally used it.

agm13

If I remember correctly on win 98 there's a restart option that boots you to straight dos correct? So I assume when you say you're using dos you mean actual dos and not a dos window inside of 98. If that's correct, have you checked your com port assignment in the software (F9)?
If all of that is right I'd make sure the contacts on your radio are clean. Lightly cleaning them with a pencil eraser works well. The only other thing I can think of is are you sure it's the right cable? There's a few other cables to look the same but are pinned differently.

Yeah, i am using "real" dos. At first i am tried on XP, windows 7 compatibility modes, windows 98, and, finally, in dos mode of windows 98.
I also check contacts of the radio even before all that. And i know for sure that the cable is OK, at least it was OK couple years ago by the customer words.

radioman2001 said:
The larger issue is that the clock is too fast, you need a 486 SX-25 or slower
Wow, for real? Well, i will try something -- somewhere i have very old laptop and it have real DOS on a board. If that will not work i am afraid i would need to throw out 30 working stations...

cmdrwill

The later version software does not have a timing problem,

Software only runs in real DOS, not "in dos mode of windows 98", a "dos window", or DOS "BOX".

Remember the software was written way back before Windows 95.

agm13 if you need help, just PM me.

agm13

Solved

Well, somehow i was able to find very old laptop, with 386 sx
But, it has win98.
BUT, it worked!
Wow, so, for anyone who had such a problem: get very old pc

Status
Not open for further replies.