W6LVP Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5lz

I've never used one of the loop antennas being talked about so take this with whatever degree of 'salt' you desire. I have used less than "ideal" wire antennas for a lot of years, and don't plan to quit. When you have used a "sort of" resonant wire antenna at something that might be construed as a decent height, not perfect, just average/decent, then you can tell me how the two compare. I do know of (did anyway) that sort of loop being used by a friend. He was tickled with it. Sorry, I just wasn't that impressed. This was at HF frequencies and that certainly can make a difference. The only suggestion I can make is to get the thing as high as you possibly can! That's high as in feet, not the medicinal' M-stuff being sold now. But then if you do happen to let your antenna 'indulge' and it helps, please let me know! I know a doctor who'z a ham and can probably get a prescription, you know?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's not true that you want a loop high up. Actually if you read the doc, you will find that 20 foot or less is recommended. This is because any higher and you start to run into more skywave propagation being received at the loop. The biggest plus with loops is a lower noise floor, and on freqs below about 2 Mhz or so, you can potentially null out interfering stations.

Wire antennas and skyloops (like a delta), yes you want them high up - loops not so much. I've even seen numerous installations with them on a short tripod on the ground. Makes it easier to hide from the condo nazis when they're that low. High up and they begin to stick out like a sore thumb...Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.