Waco, Texas Unknown Frequency

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Today, my scanner buddy indicated that he heard 169.9125 with NAC of 402h on close call near the Richland Mall. Does anyone have a clue? The only hit I found was on the "Fed Files" blog specific to ICE. However, the NAC wasn't the same. The ICE page showed two NACs for ICE, specific to the aforementioned frequency: NAC N100 & NAC NB10.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Was it a control channel? Are you sure it was a 0 and not 4D2?
I don't know yet. I am still asking questions. I asked my wife and she saw 4D2h. When I ran through the Sentinel NAC finder, I could not find this code.

nd5y

169.9125 NAC 4D2 matches control channel on site 3-118 on this system.

It was received here in WF and in S TX during band openings. I couldn't tell how far south it is. Maybe it's in Waco.

Can you program it manually and see if there is anything there? or do a search between 162-174 MHz and see if there are any other control channels.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

It was received here in WF and in S TX during band openings. I couldn't tell how far south it is. Maybe it's in Waco.

Can you program it manually and see if there is anything there? or do a search between 162-174 MHz and see if there are any other control channels.
Damn, I am very impressed. Sorry, I was watching the Righteous Gemstones & shut off the computer. Tomorrow, I will plug this frequency into my trusty Pro-2042 for full monitoring on Thursday. I will try to get a hit before I leave for work tomorrow.

I think we have a bite. I don't know if you know this or not, but there used to be a hot set of federal frequencies, a P25 trunked system in the Waco area. I know the frequencies were in the UHF range, possibly 406.000 area. I believe listeners heard this years ago when GW was in Crawford & all of the security morons were flying around Waco like flies on a fresh pile.

So, I don't know if this system is still hot here. I suppose it is possible that they could have changed the frequencies.

First, I will see if this is a CC. Thanks for your find!

Woops, I nearly forgot. What about the "h" on the end? When I programmed HOTRRS, the site NAC shows 572; however, when I watch the SDS 100 screen, it shows "572h." I thought the "h" was part of the NAC.

Yes, since my scanner friend caught this on close call, that is a good guess, Wacko, Texas.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Woops, I nearly forgot. What about the "h" on the end? When I programmed HOTRRS, the site NAC shows 572; however, when I watch the SDS 100 screen, it shows "572h." I thought the "h" was part of the NAC.
NAC are 3 digit hexadecimal (including any leading zeros), which is 0-9 and A-F only; H is not a valid hex character. Uniden uses the lower case 'h' to denote hexadecimal, and so it's not part of the NAC (or System ID, for that matter).

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
NAC are 3 digit hexadecimal (including any leading zeros), which is 0-9 and A-F only; H is not a valid hex character. Uniden uses the lower case 'h' to denote hexadecimal, and so it's not part of the NAC (or System ID, for that matter).
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

First step: Since I stopped using my Larsen tri-band on local traffic, I brought it inside & fired up the Pro 2042.

I heard nothing on this frequency. The man who found it said he barely caught it, but he shot a pic of his 436HP screen.

So, when I review how to set up a search on this scanner, I will set two searches: 1) for the range of 162-174; & 2) the lower UHF band where some of the Feds like to play. I love searching for stuff.

There is a rather large circular hole in Waxahachie, Texas which was destined to be a super-collider. It was abandoned when a new administration infested the White House. So, I fully expect to find the mysterious trunked system in Waco soon.

Later

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I programmed the frequency into my Pro 2042 and heard a CC sound, but it sounded distant. It sounded like a P25 CC.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
As you have indicated
Sys 4D5 R-001 S-118 uses that NAC

Thats what I get for replying and not reading the entire thread first :)
I do it all of the time. I still don't understand the search function within a thread.

So, I believe this was the 4th when this was heard. Again, the CC was as strong the time I found one for Woodway, years ago. It was very loud on the same radio, Pro-2042. I am using my mobile antenna in the apartment.

Looking at the system mentioned above, the likelihood of hearing any traffic will likely be zero. We will likely need the "Big Boys" to bring in all of the necessary equipment to sniff this one out.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Last night, my SDS 100 received a very strong signal from this frequency. In fact, it "pegged the needle" so to speak. I observed the duration and it was parked for around one minute. Then, it released. I am guessing this means there was a conversation or something.

nd5y

Last night, my SDS 100 received a very strong signal from this frequency. In fact, it "pegged the needle" so to speak. I observed the duration and it was parked for around one minute. Then, it released. I am guessing this means there was a conversation or something.
If it's the same thing that rattler and I received then it's a P25 trunking control channel.
There won't be any voice traffic and normally it shouldn't disappear like that.

ecps92

Well there is a Federal court house on 8th and Franklin soo its not surprising really. Plenty of feds around. They stick out in their navy or silver unmarked vehicle with sti-cos and heavy tint.
throwing out a project for those in the WACO area, find the USMS CSO Repeater Freq, then narrow down which of the many inputs it could be :)

nd5y

I'm receiving it again this morning.
Still no neighbors or alt CC.
It's sending BCI with no callsign. I don't remember if I saw that last month.

I guess nobody has tried to narrow down the location and determine if it's in Waco or maybe Temple/Killeen area or one of the TV towers near Moody.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have heard this very strong signal in Waco, Temple and Killeen. I don't know how to narrow down the location.

nd5y

There is a good band opening this morning. I'm receiving the 169.9125 CC again.
Now it appears to be fully operational. It's showing an alternate CC of 173.9500 and two neighbors.
03-101 170.1625 (unknown)
03-117 173.6500 (Round Rock)

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
There is a good band opening this morning. I'm receiving the 169.9125 CC again.
Now it appears to be fully operational. It's showing an alternate CC of 173.9500 and two neighbors.
03-101 170.1625 (unknown)
03-117 173.6500 (Round Rock)
Are you in Waco now? Did you get roped into the Silo Infestation? I purposefully avoided downtown.

Did you construct a trunking system? If you can help me set this up, I would be happy to monitor any traffic and report what I hear.

nd5y

Are you in Waco now?
Hell no. Wichita Falls is bad enough.
Did you get roped into the Silo Infestation?
I have no idea what that means.
Did you construct a trunking system? If you can help me set this up, I would be happy to monitor any traffic and report what I hear.
No. I have never built anything like that. I don't work for a radio dealer or government.
If you are referring to Uniden's software or SDS scanners I haven't used it and don't know how to setup systems that don't exist or find and analyze them.

For finding "new" trunked systems I use an old PRO-2006 with discriminator tap and the old version of Unitrunker.