Wake County

Status
Not open for further replies.

buchanan114

Premium Subscriber
I currently have a Whistler TRX-1 that I use for Wake County. Is it worth the upgrade to the Uniden SDS 100 ? If so what is the big difference. I tryed searching with little results. Thanks all and be safe out there. -Dave

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I currently have a Whistler TRX-1 that I use for Wake County. Is it worth the upgrade to the Uniden SDS 100 ? If so what is the big difference. I tryed searching with little results. Thanks all and be safe out there. -Dave

That depends on a number of things. I'm in Raleigh and use a TRX-1, PRO-668 (with mod) and PRO-197 and have no issues, but others do have issues depending on where they live. If you have issues due to simulcast, and can afford the price, then yes it would definitely be worth it as those scanners were designed to handle simulcast systems. But, if your current scanner is working for you despite it being a simulcast system, there's no need.

However, another thing to consider is Wake County, at some point in the future, is planning to upgrade to P25, it has already been approved by the FCC. Will that eliminate some of the simulcast issues? We'll have to see.

Chris0516

That depends on a number of things. I'm in Raleigh and use a TRX-1, PRO-668 (with mod) and PRO-197 and have no issues, but others do have issues depending on where they live. If you have issues due to simulcast, and can afford the price, then yes it would definitely be worth it as those scanners were designed to handle simulcast systems. But, if your current scanner is working for you despite it being a simulcast system, there's no need.

However, another thing to consider is Wake County, at some point in the future, is planning to upgrade to P25, it has already been approved by the FCC. Will that eliminate some of the simulcast issues? We'll have to see.
Dave, Situations like yours. Are why I got the BCD325p2. When I upgraded from the BC75XLT several years ago. I only had the BC75XLT for a little over a year. One advantage of the SDS100, over the BCD325p2. Is that, ProVoice, DMR, and NXDN are included. If I want to upgrade my BCD325p2 with anyone of the three. It will be $75/'technology'. Regardless of whether, you go through Uniden or ScannerMaster. But, Check this list: North Carolina VIPER Trunking System, Varies, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

While those are only the control frequencies, That is updated 3wks. ago. It is all P25 Phase I. Not ProVoice, DMR, or NXDN.

I was living in the DC-Metro region at the time. The only law enforcement/EMS 'agency/department' I couldn't get. Was the Metropolitan Police(DC) Department. Because of their encryption. Otherwise, I could get the federal, state, county, and city law enforcement. In, and outside of the region. All the way up to Baltimore. Including the ATFE, FBI, DEA, IRS, and the FPS. By upgrading the 'stock' antenna, to a stronger antenna. I could also get the major airports of BWI. Dulles, and Washington Reagan National.

ScannerHead44

I have ordered the BCD996P2 which is scheduled to be delivered to me Wednesday. I understand I may have trouble listening to Wake County due to it being a simulcast system, but will I have any difficulty listening to NC VIPER? All I'm going to have is the stock antenna for the time being.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have ordered the BCD996P2 which is scheduled to be delivered to me Wednesday. I understand I may have trouble listening to Wake County due to it being a simulcast system, but will I have any difficulty listening to NC VIPER? All I'm going to have is the stock antenna for the time being.

Not real familiar with Cary and the viper towers nearby you, (I'm in Raleigh), but you shouldn't have issues.

ScannerHead44

Not real familiar with Cary and the viper towers nearby you, (I'm in Raleigh), but you shouldn't have issues.
Thank you!! I was told by a representative from Zip Scanners Support that I made the wrong decision on my scanner choice and that I should have gotten the SDS100 or SDS200. They are really trying to push those 2 scanners, aren't they lol?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you!! I was told by a representative from Zip Scanners Support that I made the wrong decision on my scanner choice and that I should have gotten the SDS100 or SDS200. They are really trying to push those 2 scanners, aren't they lol?

The SDS series is definitely better dealing with simulcast issues, which if you were trying to listen to WAKE TRS you may have. However the Cary and Viper systems are P25 and not subject to as many issues. However, I have a TRX-1 and a Whistler modified PRO668 and live near downtown Raleigh and have very few issues receiving any of the systems.

Chris0516

I am in Chatham County. I can get Wake County, and NC VIPER. Without any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.