• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

We need new radio's! DTR, RDU, CP or GP338's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon_K

Hello gents. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm coming for help on choosing a new radio system. I run a large haunted attraction in Pittsburgh and every year we add more and more staff members that need to be on radio. A little background about myself; my position at the attraction is Operations Manager as well as Technical Director. I handle all of the PLC's, pneumatics, hydraulics, electrical, control, automation, IT, etc. I have been playing with scanners and other radio paraphernalia since I was a little kid, thanks to my Dad (he was a radar operator in the Air Force way back when). My knowledge of RF is a good bit above the average person, but clearly not even close to the same league as many of you. Throughout the summer I work for a company that provides PA and radio equipment to fairgrounds so I have some familiarity with CP185, CP200, GP300's (absolute tanks!) and a bunch of other Radius gear, both on repeater and simplex. I do not, however have any experience in programming them. Within our attraction I program and maintain animatronic PLC's and show control systems from a dozen different vendors, so I'm sure I can pickup using the CPS software pretty quick.

So, with all of that said, currently I have 24 CLS's (1000 and 1110's), many of which were purchased back in 2004. The CLS's have been fine for us, for the most part. They have all held up, not once have I had a failure on any of them. We have gone through a few headsets over the years, but that is to be expected in our line of work. The batteries aren't holding a charge like they used to, but it is to be expected for 9 year old radio's. 1W UHF has been sufficient range for us for the most part, on occasion we get some interference. I have been unable to tell if it was interference or if it was a range/building issue. Our property is right around 28 acres (~1.2mil sq ft, 1200'x1000') and is mostly flat, down in valley. The biggest issue I have with the CLS's is the attack time on Tx, it's very slow. I have to tell my staff to count 2 seconds before talking, after they key their mic. I would guess 10% of the staff does this, so all night long it is constantly "The first part of your transmission was cut off, please repeat". I also have a dozen wally world specials for the parking group that we hire. I believe they are MJ270's, operating on a FRS frequency so I didn't have to deal with another license. They work fine for their use.

Currently, 17 of the CLS's are programmed to one frequency and IEC, the other 7 are on another frequency and IEC code. This, while not ideal, has worked. The 17 is our security, maintenance and operations staff, the other 7 is our actor managers. We have a staff member sit in my tech office basically acting as a relay. She listens to both radio's and relays the info on a patron that punched and actor over to security, etc. It creates a lot of confusion and hassle as it is rather difficult to process two conversations at once. At the end of this season, I'm going to move us to a new system, but I have not yet decided on what I want to do. I will need to go to a minimum of 3 channels (security and maintenance need to be broken into separate groups) as there is to much chatter with them together. The actor side is non-stop talking, which is why I broke them into two groups to begin with.

2 years ago I bought a half dozen DTR 650's and 550's to test with. Overall, they work well, but I haven't put them into full service, so it's hard to tell how the DTR's are going to work with our day to day operations. The pro's that I can come up with for the DTR's are as follows; ideal range for us, completely secure (this has been an issue in the past). They are plenty rugged, can be programmed by myself with CPS, 6 bank chargers are offered and I can see who is keying their mic. This is handy as most of our staff does not use 2 way's on a daily basis and don't realize what they're doing (like the delay I spoke of above). Keying a mic open is common, now I can track them down and smack them upside the head, or disable their radio remotely. Another bonus is the CPS software is free. I really like that I can talk one-to-one if need be, this would come in very handy as most of us don't carry our cell's in the haunt and quite often myself and the other operations manager need to speak privately, which usually involves "meet "here" in 5 minutes". Also a bonus is that there is a confirmation tone for the staff to listen for, before they start talking. Price is right around the other radio's that I'm looking at, with the exception of the asian market GP338's, those are ~$100 cheaper "new". The biggest con that I can come up with is that an actor manager would likely have to take their radio off of the holster to select the security channel. Reaching down and counting 3 clicks to go to the security channel would likely be easier. Then again, I'm not sure most of our staff can actually count, so maybe not. The cell phone-like menu of the DTR might actually work better with the generation of kids we have working. Lastly, our staff members don't listen to the channel well and will proceed to try to talk over each other. The DTR's don't allow this to happen and instead give an error tone.

Otherwise I'm looking at CP185's or CP200's, RD4100's and 4160's as well as the bastard-child import GP338/GP380's.

If I were to go with one of the above radio's, can they be programmed to scan just 2 or 3 channels? IE, I would like to scan the security channel and maintenance channel, but still be able to switch to the actor channel if need be. Can any of the above radio's give a "begin transmission" tone like the DTR's do? I know this would help communication's. Can any of the above give an error tone of the user attempts to transmit over-top of someone else? Is the CPS software for any of the above free? It would appear the only minor drawback with the GP338/380 is the 16 pin connector. As I just spent $700 on replacement headsets this season, I would like to keep them, so I would get the M1 adapters for the GP's.

I would love to hear all of your opinions on which route I should go with this. I'm not opposed at all to buying used, all of my DTR's came from eBay, as well as a few of the CLS's. We are a 501c3 non-profit charity group, so budgets are always tight. Renting for our operating season isn't really an option as we do use the radio's throughout the year during build season as well as a few special events. Not to mention, getting the radio's in and setup before we open is another thing on the checklist to do before we open, that I really don't want to have to do.

Thanks for reading!

com501

You forgot to mention whether you have an FCC license or not, number one.

Stick with the DTRs if you can, they don't require a license.

Most everything else you mentioned is either illegal in the USA or requires a license, or, will be extinct at the end of this year.

wkredick

My p/t job uses DTR650s, we have 12 private contacts ID to talk like Nextels 1to1 and 4 talkgroups for different departments. Work great! The busy user sound even reminds me of nextel! Now that is annoying!
Our range varies outside from 1 to 1.5 miles,covers every area of inside 800,000 sq ft building.Even base storage area and roof HVAC area.

Brandon_K

Sorry for the delay in replying. This is our peak time of the season, I barely have time to sleep!

com501, yes, we hold two valid licenses for UHF frequencies (of which I don't remember the frequencies off hand). It was a nightmarish process that I did when we opened back in 2004, but we have them. I will of course renew them in two years when they are about to expire.

And to my knowledge, none of the radio's I listed are non-narrowband compliant, except the GP300's, but I only mentioned those as I have experience with them, not because I'm looking to use them.

Tonight I put a group of 7 DTR's in place to test with. The actor managers used them tonight, as well as myself as I was doing relay duty tonight. From an operational standpoint, they seem to work well. It was very easy to show the users to talk after the talk-confirmation tones, show them what happens when they try to talk over someone else and how to private talk to other managers. From a voice quality standpoint.. I don't know what is going on, but they sounded terrible!! Without a headset, they sound great. As soon as I plug a headset in, the user is barely audible and it sounds *VERY* digitized. Due to the environment we're in, we absolutely have to use headsets. Even the output volume is terrible. I had my radio turned up as high as it would go on volume (14) and I could barely hear on the D-ring headset on my left ear. Meanwhile on my right ear, driven by a CLS at half volume, it was much louder. At 14 on a DTR without a headset plugged in, you can hear it across a large room. Like I said, they worked great in initial testing without headsets, now they are just pure junk for me.

We have 4 different headsets in operations right now, the 56517 D-ring w/ lapel inline mic, 56528 D-ring w/ boom mic, [http://www.123radios.com/BuyItNow.asp?PID=362]53815 behind the head[/url] (affectionately referred to as "The Britney") and BDN6773 Lightweight w/ swivel booms/

I'm trying to phase out both of the D-ring styles as the mics appear to be omni-directional, certainly aren't noise cancelling and pickup EVERYTHING around them. The Britney's at least appear to have a directional mic, though still aren't noise cancelling. The 6773's seem to be the best overall (in our price range) and is what I have started converting us to. All of the headsets are CLS/DTR/XTN/etc compatible according to Moto. Out of the 7 DTR's, 5 are the older Gen1 units without adjustable gains, 2 are the new Gen2 units with adjustable gain. I have the accessory gain set to "standard" on both Gen2 models. I'm not sure why they sound so terrible with headsets plugged in. I will play with the gain's throughout the night tomorrow to see if that helps improve things, but as of right now the DTR's are worse than the CLS's. Maybe some higher end noise-cancelling units will help, but even then I'm not sure that will take care of the "digitized" voice issue, which again only happens with the headsets.

Might anyone else have any other suggestions for my requirements? Requirements would be at least 4 channels (I'll buy 2 more licenses to have some "private" channels as to not tie up the 2 main frequencies), equivalent of 2w UHF or better. Ideally I would want something with talk-confirmation tones as well as the ability to give an error tone to the user if they are trying to talk over someone else, but I'm not sure if that is doable in analog?

gtaman

Sorry for the delay in replying. This is our peak time of the season, I barely have time to sleep!

com501, yes, we hold two valid licenses for UHF frequencies (of which I don't remember the frequencies off hand). It was a nightmarish process that I did when we opened back in 2004, but we have them. I will of course renew them in two years when they are about to expire.

And to my knowledge, none of the radio's I listed are non-narrowband compliant, except the GP300's, but I only mentioned those as I have experience with them, not because I'm looking to use them.

Tonight I put a group of 7 DTR's in place to test with. The actor managers used them tonight, as well as myself as I was doing relay duty tonight. From an operational standpoint, they seem to work well. It was very easy to show the users to talk after the talk-confirmation tones, show them what happens when they try to talk over someone else and how to private talk to other managers. From a voice quality standpoint.. I don't know what is going on, but they sounded terrible!! Without a headset, they sound great. As soon as I plug a headset in, the user is barely audible and it sounds *VERY* digitized. Due to the environment we're in, we absolutely have to use headsets. Even the output volume is terrible. I had my radio turned up as high as it would go on volume (14) and I could barely hear on the D-ring headset on my left ear. Meanwhile on my right ear, driven by a CLS at half volume, it was much louder. At 14 on a DTR without a headset plugged in, you can hear it across a large room. Like I said, they worked great in initial testing without headsets, now they are just pure junk for me.

We have 4 different headsets in operations right now, the 56517 D-ring w/ lapel inline mic, 56528 D-ring w/ boom mic, [http://www.123radios.com/BuyItNow.asp?PID=362]53815 behind the head[/url] (affectionately referred to as "The Britney") and BDN6773 Lightweight w/ swivel booms/

I'm trying to phase out both of the D-ring styles as the mics appear to be omni-directional, certainly aren't noise cancelling and pickup EVERYTHING around them. The Britney's at least appear to have a directional mic, though still aren't noise cancelling. The 6773's seem to be the best overall (in our price range) and is what I have started converting us to. All of the headsets are CLS/DTR/XTN/etc compatible according to Moto. Out of the 7 DTR's, 5 are the older Gen1 units without adjustable gains, 2 are the new Gen2 units with adjustable gain. I have the accessory gain set to "standard" on both Gen2 models. I'm not sure why they sound so terrible with headsets plugged in. I will play with the gain's throughout the night tomorrow to see if that helps improve things, but as of right now the DTR's are worse than the CLS's. Maybe some higher end noise-cancelling units will help, but even then I'm not sure that will take care of the "digitized" voice issue, which again only happens with the headsets.

Might anyone else have any other suggestions for my requirements? Requirements would be at least 4 channels (I'll buy 2 more licenses to have some "private" channels as to not tie up the 2 main frequencies), equivalent of 2w UHF or better. Ideally I would want something with talk-confirmation tones as well as the ability to give an error tone to the user if they are trying to talk over someone else, but I'm not sure if that is doable in analog?
I'd go wit the cp200s the are cheap on eBay and good rugged radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.