Weather Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTilman

Hey guys! I know I have been asking a lot of questions here lately but appreciate all of your help. So that being said here I am asking for your help again. I'm trying to program a Baofeng UV-5R with the weather frequency but it will not pick it up. I have the correct frequency per the NOAA site but am I missing something that I need to program with it such as the tone squelch or the DTCS code? Would it be that the radio just isn't strong enough to pick up the tower in my area? And yes I am a complete noob when it comes to programming radios but trying to learn on my own lol. Thanks for all your help in advance.

DJ11DLN

Step size is the only thing I can think of. Will it accept the actual frequency, or does it try to round it up/down? Step size can be adjusted in the menu, down to (I think) 2.5 KHz, which should allow you to put in just about anything. As far as I know, NOAA doesn't use CTCSS, DCS, or any other kind of PL tones for their broadcasts.

I know I can enter any valid NOAA frequency in my CCRs in VFO mode and if there's a transmitter in range on that frequency, it booms right in.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
My UV-5Rs pick up the weather freqs very well. The stations are at least ~35 or more miles from my home base. Check and make sure that you don't have any CTCSS or DCS turned on. That's about the only reason I can think that would cause you the problem. Make sure squelch is at 1 or 0 also.
The 5Rs will pick up those stations.
Keep us posted with whats happening with your unit.

nd5y

Would it be that the radio just isn't strong enough to pick up the tower in my area?
Yes that's possible.
Or the poorly designed receiver is being overloaded or desensed by other strong local signals.
Did you program the other weather channels and see if you can hear anything on them?

JamesO

162.400 MHz seems to be the best option where you are located. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/coverage/site2.php?State=KS&Site=WXK95#TransmitterDetails

Make sure you go outside or somewhere else in town to verify that the signal is or is not received.

Do you have any other radio that can receive Weather band that you can compare against?

Often strong FM, TV or Paging transmitters can impact the weather frequency range on some radios. This is why it is wise to try monitoring in a different part of town as well as at home.

Also make sure the squelch threshold is not set too high.

DTilman

I think I read the frequency wrong. Lol. I think I was trying 462.4000. changed it over to 162.4000 and I can hear it. Thanks for all your help. I just had to take a second look at it. Sorry for the inconveniences to every one that commented but I still think you for all your help. ��

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
You sure it's not asking for the SAME code? I know I had to program that SAME code into something when I programmed it in a scanner - I don't know anything about Baofeng's though. Here's a list of the SAME codes:

"KS Douglas 020045
KS Johnson 020091
KS Leavenworth 020103
KS Miami 020121
KS Wyandotte 020209
MO Cass 029037
MO Clay 029047
MO Jackson 029095
MO Johnson 029101
MO Lafayette 029107
MO Platte 029165
MO Ray 029177

FKimble

Be sure an program in all the weather frequencies. Sometimes the one recommended for your area does not come in as well as some of the others. Also when traveling, it's nice to have them readily available in the event of inclement weather. I usually put the NOAA freqs in the highest numbered mem slots, makes it easy to find them.

Frank KK4YTM

Status
Not open for further replies.