Weather Satellite Frequencies

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
@rocky28965,
That list of yours is fine to a point. I respectfully would like to point out that many of the listed sats are long gone or deactivated.
All the TIROS, ESSA, NIMBUS series went away decades ago. FengYun 1&2 series are gone.
NOAA 12 & 16 are deactivated. GOES 10-14 are deactivated.
The JPSS and Suomi NPP birds, from what I have been told, downlink in X-band (7.8 GHz) only.
That's just things I'm fairly certain about.

Also:
GOES 'public' downlink is in the 1700 MHz range, and the NOAA sats still active (15, 18, & 19) downlink there also. The transmission format is digital at a couple hundred kBPS.

ORBCOMM sats transmit a 'beacon' in the 137-138 MHz range, and their information can be decoded.

Good luck with your venture.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
With a fairly rudimentary antenna, the right receiver (I use one of the SDRPlay RSP SDRs w/o a preamp) and the right software, it is still possible to get some really spectacular imagery from the NOAA 15, 18, and 19 satellites. They are the last (probably forever) of the APT satellites available on VHF. The newest, NOAA 19 is 13 years old and the oldest is 24 years old!! Any one of them could fail at any time, and it'll be the end of an era. For me, it'll be a sad day when they're gone - I first saw 'live' wx sat imagery in 1972, from ESSA-8.
If anyone is so inclined, get a look while you can...

Sorry for the divergence from original subject, it just triggered a nostalgia virus in me.

rocky28965

@rocky28965,
That list of yours is fine to a point. I respectfully would like to point out that many of the listed sats are long gone or deactivated.
All the TIROS, ESSA, NIMBUS series went away decades ago. FengYun 1&2 series are gone.
NOAA 12 & 16 are deactivated. GOES 10-14 are deactivated.
The JPSS and Suomi NPP birds, from what I have been told, downlink in X-band (7.8 GHz) only.
That's just things I'm fairly certain about.

Also:
GOES 'public' downlink is in the 1700 MHz range, and the NOAA sats still active (15, 18, & 19) downlink there also. The transmission format is digital at a couple hundred kBPS.

ORBCOMM sats transmit a 'beacon' in the 137-138 MHz range, and their information can be decoded.

Good luck with your venture.

Thanks for the update, I will adjust my list accordingly
I compiled that list from N2YO.com and assumed they were all currently active.

sprman1955

Check this list out its in German but Google will translate it for you. :) Satellitenwelt.de google it.Has HF.VHF,UHF ,Sband and more even gives power output of the beacons.