Webb School of Knoxville Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachgallop

So over the past two years I have been working to identify school frequencies in Knox County. The public school list will be done soon. But I need help on one private school. It Webb School of Knoxville since 2013 they have had four different radio licenses. They use FRS for communication between referees and score board between the coach on the field too. Saw in three or four games for different sports. Most KCS also use FRS for football referees. The first was WPCZ415 for a single uhf frequency 2 watts, expired. The second was for clocks and was terminated. Then they got licensed for the first call sign frequency again with 4 watts under WQTM538, it was cancelled a year later. Now they have a new license that was granted on 08/15/2018 under WRCB401. So on the license it says 451.225 MHz is FB2, that is a repeater receive frequency correct? The license says 50 watts for the repeater for Output power, if they have that on the license do they have to run that? The maximum ERP is what I am guessing to be the max the repeater has the capability of putting out which is 150? Then 456.225 MHz is the input if that is the repeater obviously it says 25 watts. Then they have a bunch of simplex/mobile frequencies. I have yet to hear the repeater close to it or thru my zello feed. Terrain might be an issue if the repeater is not very high it says it is at a elevation of 300.0m. The zello feed is about 8.1 miles away from the at my grandmothers. I can get Bearden High which is on a very high hill all over west Knox pretty much says output power is 25 and max ERP is 14. So I do not think I should have trouble getting Webb. Can anybody in the area monitor the frequency to see if they are actually utilizing. Per student reports there the admin do not seem to be carrying radios. Unknown if the KPD officers working side jobs there, or the people in the office, and maintenance carry radios. They have multiple buildings for different school levels and buildings for other programs. It just does not make sense to get licensed for the repeater and not use it. Sat in the area to see if I could get any frequencies from them turning dismissal nothing only CAK, Cedar Bluff, and Tates. They have Analog and DMR emission designators. I have a dm radio and have not heard a dmr noise. But would not surprise me several private schools use DMR simplex. I do hear interference on their channel. Would somebody please help? This school is puzzling me. Metro is their licensing person. Maybe they are doing what Hardin Valley Academy does have a license for a repeater and frequency that is not used then use a low very power repeater on a frequency licensed to Metro Communications for trunking. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. These licenses are confusing sometimes.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Now they have a new license that was granted on 08/15/2018 under WRCB401. So on the license it says 451.225 MHz is FB2, that is a repeater receive frequency correct?

That would be the repeater output. The repeater input (frequency the repeater receives on) would be one of the frequencies listed as MO, and in most cases would be 456.225, as UHF tends to use standardized 5MHz splits (but not always).

The license says 50 watts for the repeater for Output power, if they have that on the license do they have to run that?

That's the maximum they can run. They can legally run less.

The maximum ERP is what I am guessing to be the max the repeater has the capability of putting out which is 150?

ERP is the transmitter output - duplexer losses - feedline losses + antenna gain.
The transmitter output is limited to the 50 watts noted above.
The combination of duplexer losses and feed line losses will easily cut that in half.
Then figure in antenna gain and that usually brings the ERP back up.

zachgallop

That would be the repeater output. The repeater input (frequency the repeater receives on) would be one of the frequencies listed as MO, and in most cases would be 456.225, as UHF tends to use standardized 5MHz splits (but not always).

That's the maximum they can run. They can legally run less.

ERP is the transmitter output - duplexer losses - feedline losses + antenna gain.
The transmitter output is limited to the 50 watts noted above.
The combination of duplexer losses and feed line losses will easily cut that in half.
Then figure in antenna gain and that usually brings the ERP back up.

Thank you!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Input would be FX1 FX2 etc for the fixed location transmitter with MO for Mobiles that includes HT's. Though there are quite a few that only have the MO side and FB2 etc...

Your Lic:
456.22500 is the input (FX1 at 25 watts.)
451.22500 is the output (FB2 at 50 watts.)
And also a BUTTLOAD of mobile only freqs!
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WRCB401

Licensed for FMN Voice and data, and DMR voice and data.

Also, they may NOT be using this at all. This school has a history of licenses, and then cancellations within 2 years. Just because they are licensed just means if they ARE using it it is legally in use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.