what antenna is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
got this antenna in a lot I bought from this guy was his dads and he passed away. Was some pretty nice stuff in the lot. Anyway does anyone know what kind of antenna this is. I know it works well on my scanners even on 800mhz I can hear Starcom tower 10 miles away and right now its 2ft off the ground sitting on the air unit between the houses so its blocked in and it works. Thought maybe someone would know what this thing is. I thought it might be a MP Antenna 08-ANT-0865 -- Super-M Classic but not sure.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I dont think a Cb antenna would receive 800 mhz maybe I'm wrong

prcguy

Well for sure the whips and triple adapter are made by Procomm and its either their mobile TV antenna or a CB antenna. Procomm makes a mobile TV antenna with the exact same aluminum hub and whip construction but those whips would be 16" long each. If your whips are 16" long then its a TV antenna. If they are longer then its a CB antenna.

I think you have a conglomeration of parts as the Procomm TV antenna is only offered as mirror mount and the mag mounts sold by Procomm don't look anything like what you have, or at least their current models do not. I also think the antenna is a bit large and heavy for a magnet that size and doubt it would be packaged and sold like that.

Here is a catalog picture of the Procomm mobile TV antenna. Does this look familiar? Look closely at the machined aluminum hub, the whip construction and heatshrink.

Update: The mag mount appears to be a Tram.

Procomm TV ant (2).jpg

Last edited:

smp928s

Premium Subscriber
I had one of those once upon a time. I bought it at Scanner World in Albany, NY. It was definitely marketed as a scanner antenna when I bought it but I can't recall much else about it.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider

prcguy

The windings on the whips are a bit different on the scanner world antenna. How long are your whips? I suspect the Procomm antenna made for TV reception would also work somewhat for scanner use and maybe its been sold for that also.

I was told by several people now on facebook its a scanner antenna from scanner world. Its range is suppose to be from 25 -1300 mhz. Here is one almost like it they sell on amazon.

majoco

Stirrer
I know it works well on my scanners even on 800mhz I can hear Starcom tower 10 miles away and right now its 2ft off the ground sitting on the air unit between the houses so its blocked in and it works.

Works better than what?

Status
Not open for further replies.