What are some common "Storm Chaser" radio setups like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Last time I checked, storm chasers were not EMT's and paramedics chasing storms in an ambulances. Also last time I checked, storm chasers don't roll code 3 to incidents, nor are storm chasers forced to sit in the middle of the road at incidents.

WX4EMT

Last time I checked, storm chasers were not EMT's and paramedics chasing storms in an ambulances. Also last time I checked, storm chasers don't roll code 3 to incidents, nor are storm chasers forced to sit in the middle of the road at incidents.

My question is not meant to be vitriolic but to promote a debate about visual warning systems. The overall point of the video (good point at that) is the distraction caused by flashing lights and the false sense of security they provide. I can't argue with that because of the secondary accidents caused by onlookers at many of my scenes including the injury of a co-worker by a distracted driver. So is it safe to say that your position on the matter is to remove the lights and if it is necessary to stop then to do so completely off the roadway?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
So is it safe to say that your position on the matter is to remove the lights and if it is necessary to stop then to do so completely off the roadway?

Absolutely... Your odds of being hit are pretty close to zero if you are dark and completely off the roadway. Or to reverse it - if somebody hits you at that point, they had to do a lot of things wrong. You're much more likely to get hit sitting on the shoulder, especially if you are lighting up. Nobody drives on the shoulder in the first place, so turning a few flashers in the back of your Impala does nothing but attract.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Pulling off of the road in a SAFE location helps to prevent you from being involved in or causing you an accident. The trend is now becoming "less is more" despite the whoring of vehicles to be mobile sezieure units in the emergency world.

In fact we are starting to adpot west coast ideas of using as little to no lights when on scene. CHP has just been using just four way flashers if off in the shoulder once behind the stopped vehicle or crash. Less rubber necking and people crashing into the patrol car.

What we have seen is an increase in stationary vehicle collsions and accidents caused by all the "enhanced" lighting....people stop/slow/look/blinded by the blinkys and end up making wider lane changes to avoid the accident/emergency scene and hitting cars head on.

Moral of story..... pull OFF the roadway with appriotiate clearence. If you can't, then your not in a safe spot and move to one.

/spelling due to blackberry

LEDs & flashers keep us from getting hit by other motorists when we stop to spot. People don't pay attention anyway and in a storm visibility is seriously reduced. Think of the lights in the same context as a construction crew. The lights don't help you dig the hole but keeps idiots from running you over and putting you in a hole, permanently.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
And I forgot to add in this new "Stormchaser/wacker/wannabe" era of cheap easy affordable lights these days..

You don't see the TIV, Dominator, radar trucks, TWISTX and a bunch of other more "mainstream" people with 16 head lightbars, traffic arrows and hideaway strobes on. They have one to two "maybe" blinkies if that.... and don't seem to have a problem as many "not as professional" storm chasers "perceive" to have.

If it wasn't for Galls, a ton of new light distributors, and the internet - I don't think we would see all this equipment out in the field.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Pulling off of the road in a SAFE location helps to prevent you from being involved in or causing you an accident. The trend is now becoming "less is more" despite the whoring of vehicles to be mobile sezieure units in the emergency world.

'Tis true. Why, in Puerto Rico they keep their action bars lit up while they are driving around. I guess they turn them off when they pull over a motorist? :)

E-542

Premium Subscriber
Well, I've become a spotter, and I do agree with the dangers of Lights. I aint' a Firefighter/EMT/L.E.O/EMA, etc. So I N-E-V-E-R run lights 'en-route' to a storm. Now when DO I use them, and what do I use? I use this simplistic format that has served me well. A tri-row clear LED Dash light the size of a grapefruit or so, and two self contained Amber/Amber LED pods in the grille(2), and rear windshield(2). Those combined with the 4 ways, are not overpoweringly bright(The dash is, so at night, I DO not run it, just the ambers). Now the big question. WHEN do I use them? EMERGENCIES. No I don't mean chasing after the tornado barreling down the highway...not THAT emergency. I mean someone's just spun out due to the weather, and hit another car, they're banged up, Emergency Services aren't around(Yet), I park in a safe yet VISIBLE spot, turn em on, and get my vest, and direct traffic(TRAINED TO DO SO) until Police/Fire/EMS arrive, to prevent MORE harm.

Or, in non-storm situations: Similar stuff to taht, just minus the stormy weather, vehicle fires I come across on the interstate(Rare, as I'll really only STOP for a full honkin fire, not just a 'oh look, the engine is smoking'. That I just drive by and radio in on the 2m Repeater/call in via 911 if I have a phone available.), someone's been hit by a car and is now in the middle of the roadway, etc. If someone(Even myself) has a fender bender, those lights stay off. Minor incidents like that don't call for the need from them... No-one's gonna die from a busted tail-light, right? Well.... fancy sportscars where the tail light costs as much as the car does EXCLUDED... ;)

Now, could I run 'code 3' to the storm? Yeah. Could I add front/rear light bars, side-window LED's, mirror LED's, Headlight Wig-wag's, another set of Grille Lights, rear lo-profile deck bar, front visor lights, front windshield lo-profile bar, Traffic advisor in the rear, front/rear license plate edge LED's, hide-away 4 way strobes, running board LED's, and luggage rack LED's? OH yeah I could! But would it be SAFE? Hell, to the NO! I'd be all the floats from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade all rolled up into one vehicle, and it's just unnecessary. My advise to you, if you want to use lights, is use the BARE minimum. If you don't want to stay lo-profile, just go with ONE roof mounted lightbar for 360* coverage, or one roof beacon, and maybe some windshield lights. That's the MOST you need. ALWAYS wear your vest in lo-visibility conditions if you are near the road, and think to yourself: Is this a TRUE emergency? Is hi-visibility warning an ABSOLUTE requirement here? Will I, or someone else, have a risk to their life if these lights aren't on?

If the answer to those questions was 'No', then please, leave your light switch in the 'off' position untill those questions become a 'Yes'.

Just thought I'd share my views on this!

ALSO, parting words. When Emergency Services get on scene if it's such a situation as a traffic accident or so, UNLESS directed otherwise, turn your lights OFF! Your lights, plus theirs, can cause confusion.

LtDoc

Having worked professionally under those 'blinky' lights for a lot of years, I've found that they certainly do have advantages -and- disadvantages. I can also remember thinking that I sure wish I'd had the lights on some weather watcher's vehicles rather than the ones I did have when working.
The 'thrill' of those things will wear out fairly quickly for some, not so quickly for others. And for some, it's probably the 'biggy' for getting into weather watching to start with. Oh well. They are not absolutely necessary, and are a poor reason for doing weather watching. 'Nuther one'a them, 'Oh wells'.
There are the people who 'play' at it, then there are the ones who feel a 'legitimate' reason for doing it. Both are handy at times, the ones doing that 'playing' usually don't last very long (thankfully, and a good source for used 'blinky's! :)).
- 'Doc

PJH

Premium Subscriber
As a reminder..many states (not all) require permits for even amber or white lights. I know of people who have been cited for even just possessing - nevermind mounting/using lights.

In the end, its really not nessesary. Unless your with a sponsered by a government agency or with and authorized by such - your brining upon an incredibly amount of liability upon yourself. Most good smaritan laws go out the window once you operate outside of the normal scope of citizen behavior.

Example one:
You see a serious accident and no emergency services are there. You stop and render aid as best as you can (vehicle has your auto first aid kit and using four way flashers and you summon for help), You end up causing harm or create a secondary collision. Generally speaking (at least criminally in most states and civilially in others as well) you are covered.

Example two:
You see a serious accident and no emergency services are there. You stop and throw on your blinkies, don your class 3 ansi vest, set up a flare pattern - pull out your field medic battle ready EMS kit and start directing traffic and calling in for a LZ. Here you would most likely not be covered by the GS law as your acting outside the normal scope of was a resonable citizen would be doing. If something happens, you may very well be on the hook in criminal and civil court. Its happened.

dsc01290.jpg

caravan_web.jpg

skywarn%20JDC%202.jpg

Picture249.jpg

KC8TCQ

Thats the point

Covering your car with flashing lights is not only un-necessary, but dangerous.

Blinky lights in bad weather conditions increases the chance of a rubberneckers roadside convention happening.

It is hard enough to concentrate on driving in bad weather conditions, add un needed blinky lights to the scenario and it makes it even worse.

kevinparrish

Premium Subscriber
Storm Chasers / Typical Mobile Configurations

Greetings,

The typical mobile radio / scanner configuration used by The Weather Channel during the VORTEX-2 Project (2009 - 2010) consisted of the following equipment:

1-each / Motorola CDM-1550 (UHF) Mobile
1-each / Motorola CDM-1550 (VHF) Mobile
1-each / Thunder Eagle Incorporated "Weather Eagle" / NOAA All Hazards Radio
1-each / Bearcat BCT-996 Scanner

During this operation I had many opportunities to meet various "Storm Chasers" and see what they were using. Many variations were observed during my 6-week assignemnt on VORTEX-2 but in most cases the configuration consisted of a 2-Meter Mobile, Scanner, Weather Radio and in a few instances FRS walkie-talkies.

Kevin Parrish
Sr. RF Engineer
NBC News Field Operations
New York City

twjr80

Feed Provider
My setup is all mounted to a portable console. I have a dual band amateur radio, cb, and a mobile scanner. I also use a handheld scanner to monitor other skywarn nets and/or amateur radio repeaters.

DieselFF918

When I did mobile spotting, I had my cell phone, a 2 meter ham radio, a video camera, and a buddy. I didnt have any blinky dinks, most due to the fact that Michigan prohibits non official use ( any thing other than county, plow trucks, mail, tow trucks, hearse, trash truck etc....) of lights, even amber.

Now that I live in Ohio, I rarely do any spotting. Mostly due to the fact that if my area gets anything severe, I am usually at the fire station with my bunker pants on and the rest of my gear in the engine.

As a Volunteer Firefighter I have seen other Volunteers get carried away with the blinky lights. I personally love blinky dinks, and love seeing all the display vehicles light up like christmas trees, at the trade shows like FDIC, however, I feel that too many lights on a pov is over kill.

For instance, I only run from my house to the station, so I only run a mini strobe bar on the roof, an LED dash light in the windsheild, and an LED dash light out the back.

My next vehicle will have strobes at each corner, and full size strobe light bar on top.

twjr80

Feed Provider
I totally agree with Chris Novy in that video. There is no need for lights galore on a storm spotter or storm chaser vehicle. You don't want to be a "whacker" or "lame" with tons of flashing lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.