• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What do I need to use my XTS 5000 in my vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggiePhil

I have a Motorola XTS 5000, limited keypad model. I'm thinking about buying a vehicle adapter but I'm confused about the various models. I see NTN8560B, NTN8560G, and several others. Any suggestions as to which one would be best? I don't need anything fancy.

Also, I run my radio with an RMN5089B remote speaker mic and don't want to have to remove it every time I dock the radio in the car. Do the vehicle adapters require that you remove any accessories attached to the side port? If so, maybe just a basic vehicle charger would suffice.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The letter after the NTN8560 is the revision B is older than G. They for the most part are the same maybe some firmware revisions. If you use an XTVA yes you have to take the speaker mic off. There is an RF adapter that needs to be on the radio to work with the external antenna. If you just want a charger get the IMPRES drop in style. I have both in my Jeep. I run my UHF through the XTVA and leave my 800mhz or VHF in the drop to keep the battery fresh.

AggiePhil

Gotcha. Yeah, that wouldn't work. Gotta be able to take the radio in and out every day. Now would this work well as a car charger?

Motorola XTS 5000 - Vehicle Charging Holder for Hard Wired Installation*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

985483.jpg-350x350

I guess my only concern would be that it "conditions" the batteries as well as my current charger, shown below.

798267_300.jpg

AggiePhil

I now see the two Motorola car charger options. There's the $320 IMPRES charger...

159.jpg

...and the much more affordable $83 "travel charger"...

12.jpg

If I have a 110V IMPRES charger at home, will I be able to condition the battery often enough if I just use it every few weeks, while using the travel charger on a day-to-day basis? Or if I'm planning on using the car charger that much, should I pony up the $320 for the IMPRES car charger?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I have the newer model. You can find them cheaper. I paid $50 for mine at a hamfest because the seller had no idea what they cost new.

Attachments

• 2545441930072952937S425x425Q85.jpg
    2545441930072952937S425x425Q85.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,662
From what I have been told, your Impres battery will lose its "smarts" if you charge it in a "standard" charger too many times between charges in an IMPRES charger. I am not willing to test that theory to see how many times it takes to make the battery "dumb".

TheManBornWithin

Premium Subscriber
I have the Impres vehicle charger. Now I don't know the exact model or revision, but it won't condition the battery. It will blink green/yellow after charging is complete to indicate conditioning is necessary.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have the Impres vehicle charger. Now I don't know the exact model or revision, but it won't condition the battery. It will blink green/yellow after charging is complete to indicate conditioning is necessary.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If I remember reading various manuals correctly, vehicle chargers will charge an IMPRES battery and will indicate when a recondition is needed, but you must use a non-vehicle charger to recondition the battery. When you put the battery on the wall-plug charger, it should start reconditioning automatically. If it does not, remove the battery and reinsert it within 10 seconds and it will then recondition the battery.

I guess something will happen if the recondition is interrupted, such as switching off the ignition in the vehicle, hence why you must use a charger that plugs into the wall.

Hope this helps you out!
~Ronald

Status
Not open for further replies.