What does this software do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

basenjib123

New to this new scanning stuff so bear with me. I bought a BCD996P2 and see that Software is recommended for programming. What does something like PRO SCAN do for you exactly? For Instance, Do you still have to punch all of the frequencies in by hand? Sure miss the old days when I went to radio shack and bought a crystal went home and plugged it in, .. please offer any tips and or advice, Thanks.

marksmith

Freescan is free software for that scanner. You can program all systems, frequencies, descriptions, and other settings into the software, and then simply upload to the 996p2.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

basenjib123

Would you recommend Pro Scan?

Thanks for the reply....is Free Scan good or are there better options?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
FreeScan is good, and it's free (hence it's name); this is where most people start. If you find you need or want to put your scanner on the air, or need to support an older scanner (specifically the 780), or want more features than FreeScan provides - ProScan is the way to go

You don't need to do a lot of manual keying if you get a premium subscription (cheap). This will allow you to download data from the site database. Both of these packages - among many others - have this capability

Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As you begin to create programming files for your scanner, its a good thing to have backup copies for the files created by whatever package you choose. Along with the usual hiccups with computer files, having backup/archive copies of programming allows you to back and retrieve a working copy of something "just in case" something goes wild and crazy with new programming.

gonefishn1

PROSCAN has a free 30 day trial and its the best software to program your scanner.

PROSCAN also allows you to control your scanner from a PC or laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.