What is a Good 800Mhz Mobile antenna??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud229

Looking for some input out there what is a good 800Mhz Scanner mobile antenna?
I live in Michigan and I have a scanner in my truck and I have a cell phone magnet mount antenna
it's only about 4 inches long it is old it picks up a good when I stop but when I am driving it cuts out
a lout when they are talking.
They all talk on 800Mhz digital here.
I have tried a a taller cell phone antenna but did not seem to make to much difference.
Any one know write me back and let me know.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have been using the Laird Tech TRAB7603 phantom antenna. This antenna has been remarkable. I use it on a mag mount on the roof of my Tahoe (free from hitting trees and such). I even used it on the inside rear deck of a rental car while on vacation with good results.

I have not yet been able to find a dead spot. I get 5 bars on systems I couldn't even receive before. I have used it all over the state, mainly to monitor our new 700/800 MHz P25 system, as well as my county and old state Motorola Type II systems, plus local P25, VHF, and UHF systems when in their areas. I am also seeing them popping-up on new police cruisers.

Here is the narrative from the ad, and it couldn't be farther from the truth -

The Phantom antenna provides low visibility with a wide bandwidth and low angle radiation pattern that can produce results superior to many high gain antennas. Made from high grade plastic. 2.7" high. Requires a ground plane

Last edited:

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I'll second the Phantom antenna for 700/800; there's nothing better on the market. The key to its success though is actually using a 3/4 NMO hole mount; if you're using a magnet mount, don't even bother as you'll be wasting your time. These antennas require a proper ground plane.

Another good choice is the Tri-band Larsen with a good NMO mount.

Last edited:

DisasterGuy

I will add another comment in favor of the Laird 700/800 phantom. It is the spec antenna I use for all public safety installs. Note that while it does a fantastic job on those bands as designed, if you scan anything in VHF it will be completely deaf.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-tech-qw8253-3281.html

I use one of these on my truck for accessing the trunked system at run at work. It outperforms the quarter wave antenna I used to use. It's a bit cheaper than the phantom antennas and by design, should outperform it. The higher gain allows me to connect to the system from places I couldn't with the 1/4 wave.

I run these: http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo800-902.html on a number of our mobile installs where we want a higher gain antenna with a spring.

Quarter Wave antennas that I use on our bus fleet:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmoqw800-5936.html

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
My favorite - even works great on VHF and UHF:

DPD Productions - Scanner, Aviation, NOAA, Low-Band, 700 MHz Public Safety, Base & Mobile Radio Antennas for Commercial & Hobbyist Applications

800coiled_mobile1_small.jpg

bobmich52

I'll second the Phantom antenna for 700/800; there's nothing better on the market. The key to its success though is actually using a 3/4 NMO hole mount; if you're using a magnet mount, don't even bother as you'll be wasting your time. These antennas require a proper ground plane.

Another good choice is the Tri-band Larsen with a good NMO mount.

my vote is for the Larsen 150/450/800 nmo.

works great on all bands, even low band with my HP 1 here in ct

it is mounted of the front 1/4 panel of my 2012 Tucson, very low profile

bud229

800Mhz antenna's

Hey thanks for all the info every one.
I will have to decide what one I am going to get.
I have tried cell phone antennas for the 800Mhz digital scanner but it seems like the gain just is not there it still cuts out.
I know on a lout of the police cars around here that I see they have the antennas that look like the
Laird Tech TRAB7603 so they must be working good.

teufler

I'm using a larsen nmo 800, ms3e800. Its a gain antenna, 3db, there are several that have a pig tail curl in the stinger that work good also. Do a search, larsen 800mhz gain antenna and you find several styles. Mine has a shock spring above the coil, then a coil in the stinger. Its about 1 foot tall. Had it originally for a mobile radio that trunked through arkansas, tennessee, louisiana and mississippi. Worked good, now use it as the mobile scanner antenna for 700-950 mhz.

k8tmk

I built a 10-element yagi antenna that was in an issue of Popular Communications magazine a few year ago.

Yes, it is directional, but it was cheap to build and works great!

They also had plans for a couple of other yagis with less elements, but the 10-element model is only about 3-feet long, and the elements are only about 6-inches long. I have it end-mounted on the side of my tower.

Randy

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good

verhoffj1

Premium Subscriber
I have been using the Laird Tech TRAB7603 phantom antenna. This antenna has been remarkable. I use it on a mag mount on the roof of my Tahoe (free from hitting trees and such). I even used it on the inside rear deck of a rental car while on vacation with good results.

I have not yet been able to find a dead spot. I get 5 bars on systems I couldn't even receive before. I have used it all over the state, mainly to monitor our new 700/800 MHz P25 system, as well as my county and old state Motorola Type II systems, plus local P25, VHF, and UHF systems when in their areas. I am also seeing them popping-up on new police cruisers.

Here is the narrative from the ad, and it couldn't be farther from the truth -

The Phantom antenna provides low visibility with a wide bandwidth and low angle radiation pattern that can produce results superior to many high gain antennas. Made from high grade plastic. 2.7" high. Requires a ground plane

so what you're saying is you didn't have any issues with having a magnet mount on an antenna that requires a ground plane?

N3JI

Kind of an old thread...

The roof of the Tahoe = the ground plane. Still, not a big fan of the salt & pepper shaker antennas myself.

verhoffj1

Premium Subscriber
[Q/UOTE=N3JI;2379397]Kind of an old thread...

The roof of the Tahoe = the ground plane. Still, not a big fan of the salt & pepper shaker antennas myself.[/QUOTE]

could you recommend a good 700/800 megahertz mobile antenna?

N3JI

could you recommend a good 700/800 megahertz mobile antenna?
I personally use a mag-mount 3dB for temp use, and I have a 3dB on-glass mounted on my truck. They are cut for 800, but still receive well on 700. Got mine from Tessco, and are made by PCTel.

Status
Not open for further replies.