What is this digital signal in the FM broadcast band?

KE7IZL

I hate to have to put this question in a general wireless section of the forum, but I couldn't find a proper section anywhere else for asking about identifying a signal type.

I found this unusual signal in the FM band while using my HackRF SDR radio and tuning through the normal FM broadcast band. It appears both above and below the main FM carrier for a particular station. Unlike the digital signal that's modulated onto the FM carrier that carries information about the station such as the name of the currently playing song, this signal is separate from the main carrier, and it appears there's 2 copies, one above and one below the FM carrier. The signal looks spectrally flat across its bandwidth, with sharp cutoffs at its upper and lower edge, and it's about 70kHz wide. I live in the US, but was unaware of any digital radio service used in the FM band here. I've read that in Europe they have something called DRM (digital radio mondiale), but I didn't know of anything like that being used in the US. Can someone here explain what this signal might be?

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
It might be SCA.
Not with the description of the waveform he provided. The squareness of the carriers are very unique.

KE7IZL

It might be SCA.
It says that that is transmitted in the main audio channel. So no, that's not the signal I was looking at. The signal I was looking at wasn't even part of the main FM carrier. It was its own separate signal, with a copy both above and below the FM spectrum, and its own bandwidth is 70kHz. The other responses I've seen mention HD radio. That sounds much more likely to be what it is.

KE7IZL

Is there a software decoder you can get for HD radio? I have a sample I recorded from the HDSDR software in upper sidemand mode and using 192kHz sample rate for the output, so I could capture the whole bandwidth of the digital signal. I just need to get something to decode the resulting WAV file.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Is there a software decoder you can get for HD radio? I have a sample I recorded from the HDSDR software (using192kHz sample rate for the output, so I could capture the whole bandwidth of the signal). I just need to get something to decode the resulting WAV file.

KE7IZL

Yep. This picture on that webpage definitely shows the spectrum of the type of signal I was looking at.
HD+Radio+broadcast.png

dave3825

Premium Subscriber