• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What software does the TK-2180 use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
Just purchased a radio off eBay and I would like to know what software it uses so I don't buy the wrong version. Here's a pic of the back of the radio to show the model number.
1f8f58f863bb060a68a8a411906811a4.jpg

Motorola HT1550•XLS | Motorola HT1250 | Motorola CP200XLS | Kenwood TK-790 | Motorola Minitor VI

skiingchamp257

Premium Subscriber
Before you buy the software, I'd make sure you get the updated software (which I believe is version 1.6). Depending on what firmware is on the radio it can enable more functions such as MDC-1200.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
KPG-89DN Version 1.61 is the latests, released back in November of 2012.

You'd need to be careful since some of the software/firmware versions can force narrow band on the 150 and higher frequencies. Below 150MHz, it'll still do wide, so not an issue for the amateurs. If you plan on using it on Marine VHF, etc. you'd either want to keep an older version, or spring for the W-license to allow wide band programming again.

Latest radio firmware version is 1.22.

Again, think carefully before updating the software/firmware.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
That's not an issue on this radio.

89DN will enforce narrowband but that's only in software not in firmware. You can read the same radio again in 89D and make necessary changes.

V1.22 was the last firmware release, but significantly older than 89DN.

89D and 89DN both share v1.61 releases, the only difference being narrowband (and 89DN doesn't work with TFS)

Baker845

I have two Tk-2180, both have updated firmware for MDC and i use 89D V1.61. This version does Narrow and wideband. Did the radio come with a housing case?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Did the radio come with a housing case?

Seriously?

Yes. Looked like in the photo yours was missing the case.

You could order a new case from a Kenwood dealer. Part number for the K model is A02-3847-03
Recasing radios isn't uncommon. Since they'll take a beating in the real world, it's something that many shops will do.
Other options would be to buy a broken radio with a good case and swap, or look for an after market supplier. Other items you'll likely need:

Rubber keypad "Packing" for K model. G53-1598-01
Side button covers: K29-9302-23 and K29-9303-03
Knobs:
Volume K29-9304-03
Channel K29-9305-03

Like I said, an option might be to buy a broken radio and just swap the parts over.

Status
Not open for further replies.