What was the last "high-end" analog (non-synthesized) receiver of merit?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I've decided that if you cannot beat them, join them. For what these older radios are going for, I'm leaning towards the SDR route, probably RSP1a with the SDR UNO software. Of course these things need antennas, so I'm still scratching my head on my options as anything I choose will be indoors due to HOA restrictions.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I run a control program with the AirSpy SDR attached to the USB port off my Android phone at times and an AirSpy can be networked which is a better idea so that one will not be draggind aroun an antenna.

Blackswan73

A portable is not going to be a "stellar" radio. They may be sensitive enough but lack the selectivity of a "stellar" radio.
Selectivity adds cost and bulk which makes the portable less portable and prices it out of the market.
If you want a new desktop receiver you will have to buy a ham transceiver. AFAIK there is no new desktop SWL RX currently available.
I could put down an extensive list of HF radios I have had personal experience with. By far the best I ever used was the Racal 6790. Unfortunately Uncle Sam wouldn’t let me take it with me when I got out. As far as portables being inferior. I have to disagree. One of the best radios I have ever owned is my Grundig Satillit 800 made by Drake. It can go head to head with my Icom R70, R71a, and several radios I have owned in the past, including the FRG-7, Realistic DX-302, Hallicrafters SX-100, and a Zenith Transoceanic Royale 7000

a29zuk

Not analog, but reading the reviews, this works well with only a whip antenna.

WA8ZTZ

I could put down an extensive list of HF radios I have had personal experience with. By far the best I ever used was the Racal 6790. Unfortunately Uncle Sam wouldn’t let me take it with me when I got out. As far as portables being inferior. I have to disagree. One of the best radios I have ever owned is my Grundig Satillit 800 made by Drake. It can go head to head with my Icom R70, R71a, and several radios I have owned in the past, including the FRG-7, Realistic DX-302, Hallicrafters SX-100, and a Zenith Transoceanic Royale 7000

Good to hear you are happy with your Satellit 800.
IMHO it is more of a portatop than a portable.
Also, it was a $500 radio 20 years ago.
What makes it so large and expensive... selectivity. ;)

Token

I've decided that if you cannot beat them, join them. For what these older radios are going for, I'm leaning towards the SDR route, probably RSP1a with the SDR UNO software. Of course these things need antennas, so I'm still scratching my head on my options as anything I choose will be indoors due to HOA restrictions.

If your focus is on HF then the RSPdx is the better choice than the RSP1a.

With an indoor only antenna option you are just going to have to try some things until you find one that works best for you. I really recommend trying an active loop though.

T!

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
If your focus is on HF then the RSPdx is the better choice than the RSP1a.

With an indoor only antenna option you are just going to have to try some things until you find one that works best for you. I really recommend trying an active loop though.

T!

I ordered the RSP1A this morning from HRO. While I do plan on using it for HF, in all honesty it'll probably be used for MW and VHF 75% of the time. For ease of use on HF I probably will end up with an active loop eventually, but for starters I'm going to see what kind of reception I get with a hidden long wire.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
... I'm still scratching my head on my options as anything I choose will be indoors due to HOA restrictions.
There have been quite a few threads about options, I'm sure you have seen some of them.

Down spouts & gutters, flag poles, Loop on Ground, and the one you mentioned in a later post. Mag Loop, if you are spending some money.

Blackswan73

There have been quite a few threads about options, I'm sure you have seen some of them.

Down spouts & gutters, flag poles, Loop on Ground, and the one you mentioned in a later post. Mag Loop, if you are spending some money.
My first antenna was about 100’ of magnet wire wound around a 2 foot square cardboard box. It received surprisingly well. Logged many European stations with that antenna as well as Australia, Thailand, Cuba, and my rarest ever, Grenada. The box sat on another box in front of my bedroom window.
B.S.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber

Oh yeah! I've been in an utter state of bliss reading and learning about my options, hell that's 1/2 the fun right there!

W8WCA

My first antenna was about 100’ of magnet wire wound around a 2 foot square cardboard box. It received surprisingly well. Logged many European stations with that antenna as well as Australia, Thailand, Cuba, and my rarest ever, Grenada. The box sat on another box in front of my bedroom window.
B.S.
R. Free Grenada was fun to listen to!!!

radar_hunter

This was a bloody awesome and well thought out and informative reply, thank you! Thank you so much.

Yeah, the IC-7300 is a beauty, and I would consider it under normal conditions, but about six months ago I bought a retirement condo with an HOA barring outside antennas. Since a radio is only as good as it's antenna, this radio is probably overkill for the kind of antenna I could use. I'm still investigating antenna options at the moment as well.

The computer SDR based units you mentioned are great and probably orders of magnitude better than the cheap RTL-SDR I got as an intro to that segment of the hobby, but a computer based unit would keep me tied to the den for SWLing, which is why I wasn't really interested in one of them. I do 90% of my shortwave activity from the comfort of bed at night or early morning before I get up.

The IC-7300 and IC-R8600 are technically SDR, they just don't require a computer. Not sure about the R9500.

As for new desktop receivers, is the Tecsun S-2000 still in production? It won't qualify as best but might still be a decent receiver in the "desktop" category.

WA8ZTZ

The IC-7300 and IC-R8600 are technically SDR, they just don't require a computer. Not sure about the R9500.

As for new desktop receivers, is the Tecsun S-2000 still in production? It won't qualify as best but might still be a decent receiver in the "desktop" category.

The Eton Elite 750 version of the S-2000 is still available. It's a nice radio for casual SWLing but not in the category of a "high-end" RX.

prcguy

Any receiver considered should be checked out on eham.net before buying. These are informative reviews by knowledgeable users
B.S.
I would not agree with this. I see lots of glowing reports for certain radios and antennas that most of us know are junk. In many cases it’s a new ham doing the reporting and it’s the only radio or antenna they have ever used, they have nothing to compare with and their review is worthless.

Token

Yes, many (most?) newer radios will be either true SDR or Hybrid SDR, even if they are stand alone units.

The R9500 is probably what could be called a Hybrid, using a DSP in the 3rd (48 kHz) IF. But most ham or SWL desktops made in the last ~25+ years would fit a similar description.

At this point, we would have to define "SDR". At one end of the spectrum, is it something with no down/up conversion, DDC (Digital Down Conversion) or DUC (Digital Up Conversion) only? At the other end of the spectrum, is it anything with a DSP and replacing traditional circuitry with a digital sampler?

T!

prcguy

Yes, many (most?) newer radios will be either true SDR or Hybrid SDR, even if they are stand alone units.

The R9500 is probably what could be called a Hybrid, using a DSP in the 3rd (48 kHz) IF. But most ham or SWL desktops made in the last ~25+ years would fit a similar description.

At this point, we would have to define "SDR". At one end of the spectrum, is it something with no down/up conversion, DDC (Digital Down Conversion) or DUC (Digital Up Conversion) only? At the other end of the spectrum, is it anything with a DSP and replacing traditional circuitry with a digital sampler?

T!
SDR was defined in the early 90s and possibly earlier. I had the fortune to work with one of the first SDR radios designed in the early 90s by Hughes Aircraft. It could transmit and receive from AM broadcast to over 800MHz. Back then SDR is defined as performing typical receiver functions like IF BW, AGC and demodulation using computer simulation IE, digital signal processing.