What was the one radio you regret getting rid of ?

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I've only been scanning for around 15 years or so, but my first scanner was the RadioShack PRO-164. It was a great first scanner and got me into the obsession hobby. I sold it many years ago to upgrade to a digital scanner, but would love to still have it today for conventional analog stuff.

NOW I know the problem with the New England Patriots! You spend so much damned time fiddling with radios you forgot how to play quarterback!

Oh wait...it says Mc Jones, not Mac Jones. Uh...nevermind.

As to the question(s), I regret the four Icom IC-R8600 receivers I sold. One at a time...but, that said the score is now 5 to 4 in my favor and I think I have it figured out that I'm an absolute blubberhead if I sell #5.

The worst radio? I can't remember the exact model number but a wild guess, Regency MX-4200? That thing was so bad it suffered from severe intermod...even when turned off.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
My AOR AR5000+3. Great great radio. Sold it for my Icom R-8600 with Aston PS. Loved that AOR ,My Icom R-8600 has been sitting in its box for the last year

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I've had about a dozen Icom R71A's over the years, about half were from Ebay with some really easily fixed issues. Some were labor intensive, but all of them left here working 100%. One had a couple of mods done for audio, every option except the remote control, and it looked like it had been made the day before I got it. Only thing wrong with it was the tuning knob was loose. I really regretted selling that one, I planned on keeping it, but my wallet cried. The audio mods and the FL44 filter were fantastic. Almost as nice to use as my NRD515 was.

majoco

Stirrer
Ratboy said:
Almost as nice to use as my NRD515 was.

My NRD515 wasn't new by any means when I bought it in 2006. Judging by the stickers on it, it came from the JAL office at Auckland airport. It's still going strong after I evicted the dust bunnies. The remote packed a sad because someone left the batteries in it and the leakage destroyed some of the PC board tracks and the plated-thru connections.

No I'm not selling it!

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The main issue with old NRD-515's is the magnetic encoder dies and the filters check out. A friend of mine's 6KHZ filter is kaput. the 2..3/4 (I can't remember what it is) is ok, as are the 1.2K and 600hz filters. He's trying to find a replacement 6K, but he hasn't seen one that works, or isn't priced high enough to make you weak in the knees.

N2AVH

For me it was the Sony 2010 😥 I remember when they first came out and walking into a Sony Store and putting my hard earned cash on the counter, they were expensive back then and still are used.

I remember getting it home, extending the telescoping antenna and punching in my favorite frequency 5696 Khz USB and as soon as I did the USGC Air stations traffic was just booming in. I was in heaven and what a radio in performance and build quality. I kind of had a love hate relationship with that radio as it was to big for a portable and to slim and top heavy for a desk top. If you used the fold out stand you could not see the screen to well because it was near the top of the radio.

"Sony The One and Only" shure lived up to that motto, what a high performance and stunning radio, a legend.

Skippy 🇨🇦
Funny you should say that, because my regret was trading (with Universal in OH) my FRG-7 for an ICF 2010 back in 1988. Realistically I had to because it was easier to travel internationally with (I took the FRG-7 to Colombia in 1983 and had to talk my way in--they wrote in my passport that I couldn't leave without it). Later I traded the 2010 for an SPR-4 and promptly forgot I had it for 25 years.

Blackswan73

R-392 military receiver. It was the receiver that was part of the ANGR-106 radio teletype set. Radio was rock solid with a mechanical digital frequency selector like the Collin’s R-390. Traded it for a DA Phantom 12 tube hotbox
B.S.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
The one I regretted getting rid of was my Radio Shack Science Fair Globe Patrol SW radio kit. It was an anemic regenerative radio that received like crap, but when I joined the military it was just a another thing taking up space. Multiple decades later, a couple of years ago, I paid through the nose to get a pristine replacement off of Fleabay. It's as poor of a receiver as I remember, but it does have it's own space in my display case. For a cheap little radio, as the photo below shows, it was more looks than function.

Front1.jpg
This is not a photo of mine, I was too lazy to take a picture tonight.

scanman56

the Regency Touch M100, all buttons were backlit and the channel
display was vivid. the best ever to operate in the dark. that was back
when i wondered "how am i ever going to find enough frequencies to
fill all 20 channel slots!"

m100.jpg

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber

View attachment 155128
Ooooh that does look like a nice one. Those fluorescent displays are awesome. I had to laugh on the, "How going to find enough frequencies to fit all 20 channels" I felt the same way when I got my 800xlt. In fact I only ran it on the first bank for years.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
J8EHmHU.png

Looks like they had a 10 channel model too.

a29zuk

View attachment 155128
I remember having this one. 30 channels and search!

Jim