What was the one radio you regret getting rid of ?

Alain

When I graduated grammar school [1963, if you must know!] I was given a Lafayette HA-230 general coverage receiver. Shortwave radio was wonderful back in the day because of all the AM s/w stations that I could monitor. Not only foreign broadcasts, but the 160 meter ham band had so many ops on AM too. We lived in a 6 family apartment in Newark [yup, that one].

My antenna [I knew someone might ask] was a 100' long wire antenna, which was strung around the ceiling of my bedroom! It worked quite well. When we moved from Newark in '72, I gave it to my uncle to sell for me. I got $30. I have a lot of great memories with that radio. If anyone has one, give it my love; I owe it so much...

K6GBW

Radio Shack DX-300 Communications Receiver! The radio that started it all for me! Followed closely by my Radio Shack Navaho CB base radio!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
What's the one radio your have obsoletely no regrets getting rid of...Regency HX-2000 (the worst scanner ever...not far behind is the JIL SX200).

scanman56

the Regency Touch M-100 was my very first scanner in the late 70's. it was a solid vhf/uhf receiver. it also had a back-lit keyboard and "florescent" display. easy to program in the dark. it had 20 channels.

Attachments

• scanner regency touch m 100.jpg
    scanner regency touch m 100.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 5

scanman56

For me it was the Sony 2010 😥 I remember when they first came out and walking into a Sony Store and putting my hard earned cash on the counter, they were expensive back then and still are used.

I remember getting it home, extending the telescoping antenna and punching in my favorite frequency 5696 Khz USB and as soon as I did the USGC Air stations traffic was just booming in. I was in heaven and what a radio in performance and build quality. I kind of had a love hate relationship with that radio as it was to big for a portable and to slim and top heavy for a desk top. If you used the fold out stand you could not see the screen to well because it was near the top of the radio.

"Sony The One and Only" shure lived up to that motto, what a high performance and stunning radio, a legend.

Skippy 🇨🇦
i still have my Sony ICF 2010 and use it a few times a week.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I've only been scanning for around 15 years or so, but my first scanner was the RadioShack PRO-164. It was a great first scanner and got me into the obsession hobby. I sold it many years ago to upgrade to a digital scanner, but would love to still have it today for conventional analog stuff.

Fast1eddie

Don't go beating the J.I.L SX-200. I have two currently running. Solid receiver. Tad confusing to program. I replaced the Motorola jacks with mil spec BNC's. Had a SX-400, now that was a crap radio.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
JRC NRD515. I was really having money issues about 15 years ago, and it paid my mortgage and electric bill for the month when I sold it. I really miss it, but it looks like a lot of them are having encoder, and filter failures from old age. I still have my NRD525, and others, basically useless in the RFI hell I live in now.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Icom R-70 and R-71. Still kicking myself decades later, not in any position now to afford any receiver, not on my fixed income. Go to school, young people!! Poor decisions=no toys.

wenzeslaus

I liked this radio. cheap, simple, 2 D batteries, much fun factor. but the &&&^*^* thing doesn't work. couldn't get it to work. bought 2 others and they didn't work either.

bj-small.jpg

mbott

Premium Subscriber
For me, its the Icom IC-R75. Over the last 10 years, I've purchased 3 and sold 2. :)

--
Mike

RFI-EMI-GUY

Did you charge him extra for the fake antenna, after market handle and batteries that never go dead? (hopefully you got the money before he departed…)
Later on the "Professor" became despondent and used the antenna tubing to construct a distillery. He did amass a fortune in moldy US currency from Thurston Howell III, his biggest customer.