what's the appeal or allure behind being a railfan?

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I suppose its similar to little kids like big trucks. When I was a little kid in my parents car the best thing that could have happened besides mcdonalds was getting stuck at a railroad crossing
We used to have a crossing (since torn up) on a one-way street downtown. If we were headed home from the west side of town during the summer and got caught by a train, a little prodding from my brother and I would convince our dad to put the car in park and walk over to the ice cream shop that was strategically located there, returning with cones or shakes to enjoy while we waited.
I think that's when I first developed my affection for trains......

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I "chased" Union Pacific 4014 "Big Boy" from St. Anne IL to Villa Grove IL earlier this month. Lots of examples of railfans doing stupid things. At the top of the list were the fans standing on the Norfolk Southern bridge over the UP at Sidney. Aside from blatant trespassing, they were completely oblivious to the fact that NS runs stack trains through there at 60 mph.
The trip to the West Suburbs of Chicago which I mentioned in an earlier post was planned, vacation requested, and hotel reservations booked......one week before Big Boy's schedule was released. 🤦‍♂️ We were in Rochelle. Five days too late.😡

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
What's the allure? If I knew why I love trains it wouldn't be a hobby any more. I just love them without being a wacker-foamer. I photographed since the Instamatic days but haven't since NS. Too sterile with no more locomotive variety. You can shoot only so many GE wide cabs.
Aspberger's (definitely diagnosed) might have something to do with it. Biggest aspie hallmarks are radio and trains, got 'em both in spades.