Whats up with 470.3000mhz - 470.3175MHZ?

Dimmer_gamer

Since I first got my hands on a radio scanner in 2020, i would just go about searching every frequency it can go to. Theres that specific strech of frequencies, 470.3000mhz - 470.3175MHZ, which would always be active, and staticy. Im aware those are also within the televesion broadcast, but this may be unrelated. When I got my baofeng UV-5R, a year later, that same frequency was diffrent. Its like a low highpitch humming sound, with a slight buzzing, and whenever you jiggle the anntenna or move the radio like, in big circles, theres like a constant clicking sound. Now, on the base scanner. which is the Realistic 60CHannel pro-2024, its just static, seems like only on the baofeng it makes that sound I described. Also to note, this sound, and these frequencies, are always active 24/7. If anyone knows about these frequencies, or if anyone can check it out, that would be helpful, im extremly curious.

ecps92

Since I first got my hands on a radio scanner in 2020, i would just go about searching every frequency it can go to. Theres that specific strech of frequencies, 470.3000mhz - 470.3175MHZ, which would always be active, and staticy. Im aware those are also within the televesion broadcast, but this may be unrelated. When I got my baofeng UV-5R, a year later, that same frequency was diffrent. Its like a low highpitch humming sound, with a slight buzzing, and whenever you jiggle the anntenna or move the radio like, in big circles, theres like a constant clicking sound. Now, on the base scanner. which is the Realistic 60CHannel pro-2024, its just static, seems like only on the baofeng it makes that sound I described. Also to note, this sound, and these frequencies, are always active 24/7. If anyone knows about these frequencies, or if anyone can check it out, that would be helpful, im extremly curious.
Depends - where are you ?

As Kevin indicated one possibility is TV14 as 470-512 is known a T-Band

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Some HD digital TV ATSC-1 digital stations have/will convert to ATSC-3. ATSC-1 has a pilot carrier (it has no modulation) at 309.441 kHz above their bottom edge. This would put one on 470.309441 MHz (NOTE: That is the nominal pilot frequency and some are intentionally or accidentally offset with there not being a specified tolerance). Note that ATSC-3 has no pilot carrier but will have digital information on that frequency and will sound different. It is likely your local converted from ATSC-1 to ATSC-3 (they are not required to convert but many have/will). Give a nearby city and I could tell you more. How it sounds on different radios is an artifact of their demodulation scheme.

Dimmer_gamer

Depends - where are you ?

As Kevin indicated one possibility is TV14 as 470-512 is known a T-Band
Near toronto. For me it just doesnt sound like a tv brodcast, but some dead signal just overplaying. Now of course, that could be from a tv14 station.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Near toronto. For me it just doesnt sound like a tv brodcast, but some dead signal just overplaying. Now of course, that could be from a tv14 station.

I suspect you do not recognize digital TV sounds like which I am sure it is..

Last edited:

nd5y

Or squelch setting.
It's not the squelch. It happens with the squelch fully open.
There are some articles by people who determined that the snap-crackle-pop geiger counter noise while moving is caused by AGC settings and initialization settings in the AT1846S chip.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Or squelch setting.
Regarding the down vote, if you adjust the squelch near threshold, you can get something like that on some digital signals. I doubted that was the cause myself but considered it a possibility. The big problem here is a narrow bandwidth receiver defined for audio is going to give odd sounds when looking at a near 6 MHz wide digital TV signal which this certainly is.

Tx4

Regarding the down vote, if you adjust the squelch near threshold, you can get something like that on some digital signals. I doubted that was the cause myself but considered it a possibility. The big problem here is a narrow bandwidth receiver defined for audio is going to give odd sounds when looking at a near 6 MHz wide digital TV signal which this certainly is.
Your correct they need to monitor the entire 6MHz of RF Channel 14 spectrum to get a real picture of the 470 band. We get a lot of interference on CH15 here in Chicago from all over.