• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What's your everyday-carry two way radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
An XTS-3000 UHF for my T-Band, FDNY, Westchester FD, Dutchess FD, and a XTS-5000 7/800 for Metro 25, and Doitt 800. No cases, just battery belt clips. Oh almost forgot my EX600 for VHF. All sit on my desk scanning along with company issued Icom F3161DT, but I just carry the EX while working in field unless I need to use our wide area digital system. I guess you can also count one of 2 Iphone's with Zello.
I have way too many radios to take to work otherwise.

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
An XTS-3000 UHF for my T-Band, FDNY, Westchester FD, Dutchess FD, and a XTS-5000 7/800 for Metro 25, and Doitt 800. No cases, just battery belt clips. Oh almost forgot my EX600 for VHF. All sit on my desk scanning along with company issued Icom F3161DT, but I just carry the EX while working in field unless I need to use our wide area digital system. I guess you can also count one of 2 Iphone's with Zello.
I have way too many radios to take to work otherwise.

The EX series are nice little radios.

KC2CQD

Premium Subscriber
I know it might sound "noob" but I've played the "expensive radio" games with product failure or defunctness and just too pricey to replace with fancy new stuff...
With that said, I LOVE MY Baofeng GT-3TP. And when that meets its demise, there are plenty replacements available at reasonable price. And the BTECH UV2X50 is a pretty sweet mobile.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I'm preferring to carry a single radio around these days. With the moves happening in public safety in my area all onto one common system, it's not as difficult as it used to be to accomplish that, either.

The NX-5400-K2 is pretty nice in my opinion.

IMG_20171106_080811.jpg

It is a single band and handles analog and P25 in the same radio (I know a lot of people here get it for the NXDN (and maybe DMR, I forget if it supports that) aspects, but as I said a lot of my agencies are on P25 trunking now). The color screen is nice and the controls were easy to learn coming from a TK-2180/3180 previously.

I just programmed a bunch of APX900s for another agency. They're OK radios but they feel rather light to me which lends the sensation of them being flimsy to my mind. This radio has some heft and while I have seen a crack in one case in the "usual" spot for a Kenwood (between the antenna and the accessory port dust cover), and had the antenna connector somehow snap completely off another radio, otherwise they seem pretty robust.

My only real gripe is that there are a bunch of agencies around here who refuse to let go of the concept of 2-tone paging, even on P25 digital, and the Kenwood's 2-tone decoding on P25 seems to be extraordinarily tight. I have been working on it for over a year and can only get a Kenwood radio to alert off a tone transmitted from another Kenwood radio. Tones transmitted from a console, even the "correct" tones - even tones recorded from a Kenwood radio to a properly formatted/sampled WAV file and then played back over the console - the Kenwood radios steadfastly refuse to open up to those tones, while Moto radios and Unication pagers will trigger off those tones all day long.

Danny37

I hear you, its definately a great radio. You can actually program up to 200 channels into the vx 800.I was thinking of getting the vx 824 but I only Use it for local NYC channels along with a few repeaters/simplex channels so I don't really have a need for it.

Unfortunately it only supports 10 groups so you need to have a channel up and down soft keys assigned to have the full 200 programmed. The only issue I've seen with the earlier models of vx-800 is the squelch opens up so easily, like the wind can blow and static will fill your speakers.

Danny37

I know it might sound "noob" but I've played the "expensive radio" games with product failure or defunctness and just too pricey to replace with fancy new stuff...
With that said, I LOVE MY Baofeng GT-3TP. And when that meets its demise, there are plenty replacements available at reasonable price. And the BTECH UV2X50 is a pretty sweet mobile.

Nothing wrong with that, I have a TYT uv-3r that's built like a tank. That radio has taken so much abuse and still works like a charm.

APX6k

Premium Subscriber
Do the Kydex holsters scratch the housing/display at all? It seems it would be inevitable, with bare plastic on plastic.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
What a beauty! Now is this case meant to fit the standard cap batteries? I love my slim impres battery since it makes the radio lightweight.

I'm not sure about the slim battery because I've never had one for my XTS. I only have the standard capacity and the high capacity impress batteries and it fits nicely.

Do the Kydex holsters scratch the housing/display at all? It seems it would be inevitable, with bare plastic on plastic.

The holster I have from Zero 9 hasn't scratched my radio at all. The inside of the holster is nice and smooth.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'm preferring to carry a single radio around these days. With the moves happening in public safety in my area all onto one common system, it's not as difficult as it used to be to accomplish that, either.

The NX-5400-K2 is pretty nice in my opinion.

View attachment 68103

It is a single band and handles analog and P25 in the same radio (I know a lot of people here get it for the NXDN (and maybe DMR, I forget if it supports that) aspects, but as I said a lot of my agencies are on P25 trunking now). The color screen is nice and the controls were easy to learn coming from a TK-2180/3180 previously.

I just programmed a bunch of APX900s for another agency. They're OK radios but they feel rather light to me which lends the sensation of them being flimsy to my mind. This radio has some heft and while I have seen a crack in one case in the "usual" spot for a Kenwood (between the antenna and the accessory port dust cover), and had the antenna connector somehow snap completely off another radio, otherwise they seem pretty robust.

My only real gripe is that there are a bunch of agencies around here who refuse to let go of the concept of 2-tone paging, even on P25 digital, and the Kenwood's 2-tone decoding on P25 seems to be extraordinarily tight. I have been working on it for over a year and can only get a Kenwood radio to alert off a tone transmitted from another Kenwood radio. Tones transmitted from a console, even the "correct" tones - even tones recorded from a Kenwood radio to a properly formatted/sampled WAV file and then played back over the console - the Kenwood radios steadfastly refuse to open up to those tones, while Moto radios and Unication pagers will trigger off those tones all day long.
I think part of the reason is the P25 protocol doesn't actually support group paging. It'll support an individual page via call alert but not an entire group without dedicating a talk group for that specific group's pages. Two tone over P25 is another issue as it is not part of the protocol either and one simply can not inject tones into an IMBE or AMBE chip and have them reproduced correctly...grab a trunking capable service monitor and try it (you'll need either a spare encoder or separate monitor to encode the 2-tone) and you'll find you can't alert the radio.

The vendors currently perform 2-tone over P25 by creating a bitstream which reproduces the correct tone (think in terms of a 1011 Hz test tone). From what you are suggesting, it sounds like Motorola allows for some bit error/reproduced frequency error which Kenwood may not currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.