Where are they Made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrol88

Anyone know where the Whistler models will be made? Are they just reopening the old GRE factory in China?

Not wanting to start another quasi-racist thread like the one over in the Uniden (sub)forum, but seems that they had a lot of problems with their Viet Nam quality (wrong part used?). I'd attribute it to still being an "infant" in manufacturing (much like China was 30 years ago).

I'd feel a lot more comfortable jumping in early knowing that these are being made in a more mature manufacturing environment.

pb_lonny

Why does it matter where it is made? If it works as it is meant to than you should be happy. If it does not work as it is meant to than you have recourse via warranty.

In another hobby I used to be a part of we had people sending items from a given factory back and demanding replacements from a different factory due to some perceived quality issues with the product.

Why does it matter where it is made? If it works as it is meant to than you should be happy. If it does not work as it is meant to than you have recourse via warranty.

In another hobby I used to be a part of we had people sending items from a given factory back and demanding replacements from a different factory due to some perceived quality issues with the product.

I don't believe he meant any harm by asking, I'm sure he was referring to if the scanners will be made in the existing Whistler factories or if they will be reusing the GRE factories. Not specifically in what country they are in.

QDP2012

I don't believe he meant any harm by asking, I'm sure he was referring to if the scanners will be made in the existing Whistler factories or if they will be reusing the GRE factories. Not specifically in what country they are in.

If I remember correctly from the older long threads about GRE, their home factor(y/ies) got knocked down in favor of other government-chosen land-use. If correct, this would likely mean that Whistler will use its own factories. Plus, in another recent thread, a Whistler rep explained that only the intellectual property from GRE was purchased, not any physical assets, meaning that Whistler does not have GRE/RS spare parts, etc. I would interpret this to mean that Whistler is producing scanners in their existing factor(y/ies).

Hope this helps,

petrol88

I don't mean it very negatively, but would just prefer to have a scanner made in a country with a longer history, education, and infrastructure for electronics manufacturing. Doesn't mean I definitely wouldn't buy. It is just a factor in how quickly I will decide to buy (lesser advanced country, I'll probably wait longer to see total quality reports).

I guess no one knows where Whistler Scanners will be made.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
I don't mean it very negatively, but would just prefer to have a scanner made in a country with a longer history, education, and infrastructure for electronics manufacturing. Doesn't mean I definitely wouldn't buy. It is just a factor in how quickly I will decide to buy (lesser advanced country, I'll probably wait longer to see total quality reports).

I guess no one knows where Whistler Scanners will be made.

I doubt if anyone really cares where they are made. I certainly didn't care that my BCD-396XT was made in Vietnam unlike some bigots in these forums.

I doubt if anyone really cares where they are made. I certainly didn't care that my BCD-396XT was made in Vietnam unlike some bigots in these forums.

I happen to agree with both sides. I will always prefer to purchase something made here in the USA. But at the end of the day, the actual technology and quality control (if in use) will be the same no matter what country the product is made in.

LZ56

Premium Subscriber

What kind of politically correct nonsense is this? You're joking, right?

So the question remains unanswered. Where ARE Whistler scanners made anyway?

Last edited:

petrol88

"Sure. That's why I asked...because I really don't actually care."

You ARE aware this makes no sense, right?

Read the entire conversation. I was employing irony to make the point that, in fact, at least one person does care or s/he wouldn't have bothered to ask.

petrol88

I don't Facebook, and apparently Whistler doesn't RR (where is WhistlerMan?). Maybe someone here who FBs can ask them there and let us know what they say.

DonS

Whistler doesn't RR (where is WhistlerMan?).
Well, he's the same guy as "GREMan" (though he never went by any such RR username), so he's probably around.

As far as where the Whistler scanners are / will be made... the pre-production PRO-651 on my desk says "manufactured in Philppines" (I presume the missing 'i' is just a typo that will be fixed on production labels).

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber

There's nothing wrong with disliking the origin of a product. It's their opinion. Seems like you don't respect anyone's opinion but your own, bigot.

To keep this back on topic; I think Whistler manufactures their products in Arkansas.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
There's nothing wrong with disliking the origin of a product. It's their opinion. Seems like you don't respect anyone's opinion but your own, bigot.

To keep this back on topic; I think Whistler manufactures their products in Arkansas.

While technically correct, that's not the definition of 'bigot' that was in use in this and the previous thread.

In the previous thread (which this one is clearly designed to play off of), the substance of the thread was that the posters were intolerant of people of another "race" (meaning ethnicity), and the implication, by way of posting, was that everyone else should be intolerant too. This was cloaked behind a stated desire to avoid products built outside the United States, to "keep the jobs in [our] country".

Educated people in this world understand that such sentiment is extremely offensive. It is known as "racism" and includes calling people of other ethnicities by derogatory names, which I will not reproduce here, but is probably practiced by the posters as part of their regular conversation, as if it's something they should be proud of.

I couldn't care less if a radio was made on Mars. If it does the job I purchase it for, and doesn't involve the sacrifice of babies or slave labor or any other similarly unethical conduct, it's good enough for me.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
While technically correct, that's not the definition of 'bigot' that was in use in this and the previous thread.

In the previous thread (which this one is clearly designed to play off of), the substance of the thread was that the posters were intolerant of people of another "race" (meaning ethnicity), and the implication, by way of posting, was that everyone else should be intolerant too. This was cloaked behind a stated desire to avoid products built outside the United States, to "keep the jobs in [our] country".

Educated people in this world understand that such sentiment is extremely offensive. It is known as "racism" and includes calling people of other ethnicities by derogatory names, which I will not reproduce here, but is probably practiced by the posters as part of their regular conversation, as if it's something they should be proud of.

I couldn't care less if a radio was made on Mars. If it does the job I purchase it for, and doesn't involve the sacrifice of babies or slave labor or any other similarly unethical conduct, it's good enough for me.

Why are you trying to split hairs on the definition of bigot? Intolerance for other people's opinion is bigotry. It isn't racist to not like items made in Vietnam. And I'm laughing at your suggestion that I'm uneducated. Not that it matters but I have a BSBA and other advanced qualifications and I'm "well read". At any rate, you'll find people everywhere that will ruffle your liberal feathers. Same as how you are ruffling conservative feathers. Best to ignore the comments you disagree with. No opinions will be swayed on either side..

Status
Not open for further replies.