Where to buy PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The main reason enthusiasts don't buy a dedicated /\/\otorola transceiver for receive-only purposes is because they want a single unit that will do everything with more mainstream programming ability. Besides, much of the time people are scanning multiple trunking types, some of which an actual Motorola radio CAN'T do. It would require carrying around not only your regular scanner but a second radio as well.

While I completely agree there's nothing finer than a Motorola radio, it just doesn't make sense for most scanning enthusiasts to do what you suggested unless they just listen to a Motorola-only system. Then perhaps it's a good choice IF the person doesn't mind acquiring the necessary RSS/CPS and programming hardware, and of course learning to use it. If a person were to fit this scenario then I agree you wouldn't find a better method to monitor it.

I completely agree but its just preference for me at this point. Once a good company comes out with something sweet I will buy a desktop unit too. Motorola radio is a luxury item for me. Uniden just has not shown their hidden cards right now. The scanner business is just dead

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I would personally not buy it either. The price is way too high and there is no support anymore if anything goes wrong.

KE4RWS

PSR-800 way too expensive now

I would personally not buy it either. The price is way too high and there is no support anymore if anything goes wrong.

The latest PSR-800 prices are way too expensive for me. Fortunately I don't have any X2-TDMA systems near me yet so I can live without this model but hopefully Uniden will develop a scanner with this ability in their next model. That's how supply vs. demand goes I guess.

One thing I found strange is why GRE didn't capitalize on the fact this model has the ability to monitor phase-II P25 systems. I would have thought this would have been a strong marketing point had it been properly advertised as such :confused:

Oh well... guess it doesn't matter now :(

One thing I found strange is why GRE didn't capitalize on the fact this model has the ability to monitor phase-II P25 systems. I would have thought this would have been a strong marketing point had it been properly advertised as such

For a long time I recall they did not boast the ability because there were no Phase2 systems online at the time..
The official update where they made that announcement was really close to the time they started shutting down. Guess at that point they were not going to start a new ad campaign.

KE4RWS

For a long time I recall they did not boast the ability because there were no Phase2 systems online at the time..
The official update where they made that announcement was really close to the time they started shutting down. Guess at that point they were not going to start a new ad campaign.

That makes sense then. I guess had GRE remained in business they would have definitely taken advantage of this feature now that numerous phase-II systems have come online. This would have been a major selling point for them if they were still around. Really makes you wonder if GRE could have just held on a little longer maybe they would have been able to find another manufacturing location and had the money to float long enough to get it up and running.

Dammit man . . . really sucks GRE is gone :evil:

LIScanner101

My opinion is don't buy that crap. Dont drop 600 or 700 bucks on a radio to where their company GRE is out of business with no good support anymore. Can't get a hold of the company by phone or anything.

If you need to receive Phase II or X2-TDMA just wait until a company comes out with the latest and greatest radio if they ever do. Dont get taken advantage from online or ebay buying these cheaply made radios.

Another option is put your money into a commerical grade radio from Motorola. Its big money but worth it in the long run.

A huge draw for me and many scanning enthusiasts is:

Triple trunking
Low band to 800MHz coverage
Alpha tags

Can these Motorola radios do all that? If so I'd strongly consider buying one.

SquierStrat

well, if you do some reading in the yahoo group, youll see they had a psr 1000 in the works, but once they learned they'll be shutting down, they stopped working on it and put all their time into phase 2 for the psr 800...

Last edited:

KE4RWS

PSR-1000

well, if you do some reading in the yahoo group, youll see they had a psr 1000 in the works, but once they learned they'll be shutting down, they stopped working on it and put all their time into phase 2 for the psr 800...

Here is the link you refer to. It is from someone who actually worked for GRE developing their scanners. He talks about the PSR-800 phase-II feature and the PSR-900 and how ten of them were built. Then he references the PSR-1000 as one of the next generation models but doesn't actually indicate any of what it's features may have been.

It truly saddens me to even read this because it's more of a farewell letter than anything else :(

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
GRE

This is my first GRE portable (the 800) and its a very good receiver!I wish they would reconsider or have Alinco start building the 900 or the newer models.

LIScanner101

Just curious...

I have seen many people posting that the PSR-800 is a great scanner, great receiver etc. Is it really that much better at picking up weak signals (therefore receiving "better") or do people just say it's "better" because it can do Phase II?

mke65

It is one of the best handhelds a receiving apco 25 signals plain and simple. Also, you can set up to record all transmissions onto a 8gb sd card and always refer back to old calls. Plus the recording during searching is great for any searches you do unattended as it stamps the freq, time, date, and trasmission etc...best part, it fits into a pocket very easily which is what separates this radio and its functions from all the others. I am waiting patiently for a dc to daylight handheld pocketable trunking gps built in radio with similar functionality which would be the perfect radio to me

KE4RWS

PSR-800

Just curious...

I have seen many people posting that the PSR-800 is a great scanner, great receiver etc. Is it really that much better at picking up weak signals (therefore receiving "better") or do people just say it's "better" because it can do Phase II?

I'm not aware the PSR-800 "receives" any better than any other scanner out there. I think most people are referring it's ability to receive digital trunked systems, be it phase-I or phase-II as well as the ability to record directly to an on-board memory card. However, I'm sure those who actually purchased their PSR-800 to monitor an actual phase-II system love it because it's the only scanner at this particular time than can do it ;)

I wasn't particularly motivated to go out and buy one when GRE was still in business and the 800 was plentiful because I really want and even need a scanner to have a full entry keypad, especially on a portable model. Otherwise I would have jumped on it from the get-go. Then GRE went out of business and now supply has all but dried up except for a few sellers who have them but are now getting insane prices. That's supply versus demand for ya.

Although I don't have a PSR-800 I haven't heard anyone claim it can "hear" better than anything else out there. It has some unique features not found in other scanners and that's likely what people are talking about.

LIScanner101

I'm not aware the PSR-800 "receives" any better than any other scanner out there. I think most people are referring it's ability to receive digital trunked systems, be it phase-I or phase-II as well as the ability to record directly to an on-board memory card. However, I'm sure those who actually purchased their PSR-800 to monitor an actual phase-II system love it because it's the only scanner at this particular time than can do it ;)

I wasn't particularly motivated to go out and buy one when GRE was still in business and the 800 was plentiful because I really want and even need a scanner to have a full entry keypad, especially on a portable model. Otherwise I would have jumped on it from the get-go. Then GRE went out of business and now supply has all but dried up except for a few sellers who have them but are now getting insane prices. That's supply versus demand for ya.

Although I don't have a PSR-800 I haven't heard anyone claim it can "hear" better than anything else out there. It has some unique features not found in other scanners and that's likely what people are talking about.

Thanks, I kinda figured it was more features than conventional performance.

I also like a real input pad too, I enjoy inputting stuff easily and on the fly.

scosgt

Nope. It has better ears than the HP-1, 996T right next to it in the shack. The old 796D is pretty close. But the PRO-96 and PSR-800 simply have more sensitive receivers than Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.