Which Affordable Analog Handheld Scanner Should I buy - (I see 4 choices)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samyham

So I'm looking for an affordable analog handheld scanner. I've narrowed it down to 4 choices but other recommendations are very welcome. I have some air-time experience and have a General license but I'm new to scanners.

Bearcat BC125AT, Bearcat SR30C (Turbo search), Bearcat BC75XLT, Whistler WS1010, other?

The 125AT seems most popular; SR30C has a Turbo search feature and advertised as entry level which sound good to me; I read Whistler WS1010 is good, entry-level-friendly but has only 200 memory channels (and 10 banks). Is 200 channels more than enough?

I sure would appreciate any recommendations and/or thoughts on the above 4. Or any others that might be as good or better. But I am talking about under $150 price tag. Thank you.

Last edited:

Samyham

Hey, thanks guys!! Man, that was fast. I'll watch this thread for another day or two but I won't be surprised if any other posters agree. Thanks again!

west-pac

You can get an analog VHF/UHF handheld radio that is less expensive than a scanner, and since you have a general license, you can talk on that radio as well. Heck, some of those radios are around $25. You could get 2 of them for ~$50, and have each one scan different frequencies.

Personally, I, myself, would not buy a brand new handheld analog scanner. For a couple reasons.

1) You can find used analog scanners at garage sales and online marketplaces for as little as $1. I just bought a Radio Shack Pro-2017 for $1 at a garage sale last week; and I bought a Uniden BCT-15X for $40 on FB Marketplace last week also. People get rid of used analog scanners for dirt cheap because most places have moved over to digital radio systems, and these casual scanner listeners don't think their analog scanners are worth anything if they can't hear police and fire departments.

2) A lot of places have switched to digital radio systems, and an analog scanner is not capable of receiving those systems. If your county isn't digital, one of your neighboring counties probably are, and if you bought a digital handheld scanner you could potentially listen to them when you travel there.

In closing, unless there are specific needs for wanting a brand new handheld analog scanner, there are likely more-capable options available for less money.

Samyham

You can get an analog VHF/UHF handheld radio that is less expensive than a scanner, and since you have a general license, you can talk on that radio as well. Heck, some of those radios are around $25. You could get 2 of them for ~$50, and have each one scan different frequencies.

Personally, I, myself, would not buy a brand new handheld analog scanner. For a couple reasons . . .

. . . In closing, unless there are specific needs for wanting a brand new handheld analog scanner, there are likely more-capable options available for less money.

Thanks very much for your lengthy reply. I appreciate the effort. I tell you, RadioReference is tops! Rest assured I have more than 1 handy-talkie. It's been awhile but I think handheld radios have only about 2 banks and half the scanning speed of a handheld scanner. Great for scanning a handful of frequencies but, as I remember it, not much more. Scanners have about 10 banks over which you can spread mulitple hundreds more memory channels than a handheld radio.

Digitals are multiple times more expensive and also have their challenges. What brought me to wanting a scanner now was an article written by someone explaining some ways you can use the handheld analog to get information - even with the volume off, just looking at the screen! I've never read any of that stuff before! I need to read it again . . . and again. Very inspiring. Obviously by someone who has lived and breathed ham radio for a long time.

Last edited:

GregOH

Personally, I, myself, would not buy a brand new handheld analog scanner. For a couple reasons.

1) You can find used analog scanners at garage sales and online marketplaces for as little as $1. I just bought a Radio Shack Pro-2017 for $1 at a garage sale last week; and I bought a Uniden BCT-15X for $40 on FB Marketplace last week also. People get rid of used analog scanners for dirt cheap because most places have moved over to digital radio systems, and these casual scanner listeners don't think their analog scanners are worth anything if they can't hear police and fire departments.

2) A lot of places have switched to digital radio systems, and an analog scanner is not capable of receiving those systems. If your county isn't digital, one of your neighboring counties probably are, and if you bought a digital handheld scanner you could potentially listen to them when you travel there.

In closing, unless there are specific needs for wanting a brand new handheld analog scanner, there are likely more-capable options available for less money.
I agree. I have a pro-135 that I use for many things such as Aviation, weather alerts, ham and some fire/ems that are still analog. It also has signal stalker and I've listened to businesses that use analog radios and used it a few weeks ago at church to listen to the pa system. Can't beat old analog scanners that people sell dirt cheap due to the need to go digital.

What's great about them is, if you end up not liking it and feel the need to get something better, you're not out much.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
While most everything I listen to around here is digital, I also have a BC125AT that I bring with us to airshows. I have no problems handing it to my 4 year old son so he can listen, too. Solid scanner for analog, and a nice size to toss in your bag or in the glove box.

west-pac

I agree. I have a pro-135 that I use for many things such as Aviation, weather alerts, ham and some fire/ems that are still analog. It also has signal stalker and I've listened to businesses that use analog radios and used it a few weeks ago at church to listen to the pa system. Can't beat old analog scanners that people sell dirt cheap due to the need to go digital.

What's great about them is, if you end up not liking it and feel the need to get something better, you're not out much.

I stalk band openings, and new digital systems with cheap analog scanners. By programming those freqs into an analog scanner, the analog scanner will start making "digital" noise when the system gets turned on, therefore you'll know immediately that the new system is on the air.

allears2

I would buy the one with the fastest scanning speed and number of available channels. And also, NOAA alerts are good to have even though I don't believe a scanner will alert if it's powered on.

Samyham

I agree. I have a pro-135 . . .

. . . What's great about them is, if you end up not liking it and feel the need to get something better, you're not out much.

Yes, I should look at this purchase as a starting point. Once I lay the ground work of knowledge I may very well get (another) better one, yaknowwhatImean?

Last edited:

Samyham

I would buy the one with the fastest scanning speed and number of available channels. And also, NOAA alerts are good to have even though I don't believe a scanner will alert if it's powered on.

That's why I was considering the Bearcat SR30C with it's Turbo Search feature. But I read that someone sold their's for a 125AT and there's been no mention of the Turbo Search either.

GregOH

Yes, I should look at this purchase as a starting point. Once I lay the ground work of knowledge I may very well get (another) better one, yaknowwhatImean?
I would like to have a 125at also but it's not in the budget. I figure if I buy any analog scanner, it'll have to have either the signal stalker or close call feature.

Samyham

I would like to have a 125at also but it's not in the budget. I figure if I buy any analog scanner, it'll have to have either the signal stalker or close call feature.

Does that 125AT have one of those features?

Status
Not open for further replies.