Which Affordable Analog Handheld Scanner Should I buy - (I see 4 choices)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
I don't know, I think I'd almost rather have the 436 running on 2 batteries, or 4 if necessary, but it kind of makes it difficult with an odd number because I have an Energizer external battery charger and it only has 4 slots and you have to either put 2 on one side or all 4 but you can't put 3 in because there would only be 1 on one side and that battery could overheat or explode. The 436 does last a long time battery wise, but it takes up to 14 hours to charge it by plugging it in if you want the charge to last, and it just limits the time you have to use it. I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I really like this one, it's a really good well-made scanner. Reception is excellent, it's really easy to use, and really the only problem I could think of is that it has some trouble with simulcast, which my county is, but most of the time it can still get the signal as clear as you could imagine. I wouldn't trade it for nothin'. 🙂👍
I use an older Eneloop charger (when Sanyo made them) and it charges batteries individually rather than in pairs like a newer version of it that I own does. Since then I make it a point to only buy chargers that don't require charging in pairs. If I'm stationary I'll plug the cord into my 436 and either power it off an outlet or external battery pack. Saves the batteries for mobile use.

I kind of find that my 436 doesn't pull in analog as well as my 15x/346 and doesn't decode regular P25 as well as my RS-197. It does handle phase 2, NXDN and DMR well so I just try to focus my use of it on that. The 197 handles the P25 and the 346/15x do all of the analog. Use them for their strengths 💪

KK4JW

125AT.

Previous owner of a BC75XLT, and while it’s a workhorse - it lacked MilAir and alpha tagging, and PL tones. It’s a LOT of scanner for the money, and as mentioned can be had for $100 or so right now if you shop around.

JethrowJohnson

I love P25
125AT.

Previous owner of a BC75XLT, and while it’s a workhorse - it lacked MilAir and alpha tagging, and PL tones. It’s a LOT of scanner for the money, and as mentioned can be had for $100 or so right now if you shop around.
I think the Uniden Homepatrol II might be better. I think it's a good digital scanner that's easier to figure out until you get a more robust model.

Status
Not open for further replies.