• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Which Range is possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Sorry its hard for me to translate write what I have in my mind.
What kind of range is possible to get that an CB Radio between 2 Station 24/7?
That mean no open band thing...
Sure I received Italians and i dont want to know what kind of booster the use for hat...

NC1

That is a very difficult question because so many things come into play in determining a good and reasonable answer. Every installation is completely unique, so there is no knowing for sure.

That being said, the 5 miles posted above is reasonable given a flat terrain with no obstructions. However, if you want to get technical about it, there is a website that will show you on a map the distance after you input all your information concerning the specific install.

Go to the following site and make an account, then find your house on the map and mark it. You will need to know the frequency you will be using, the type and length of coax cable used (along with the loss factor per 100 ft.), the height of the antenna above ground and it's gain, and the radio output in watts - which in your case will be 4.

Enter all that information and it will produce a custom map showing your coverage using all the information you gave it. Hope that helps.

Radio Mobile WEB Site
then click Radio Mobile Online

Let us know what you find out :)

TheSpaceMann

I knew a guy who talked to his brother about 40 miles away every night! They used legal 4 watt power, but they both had 3 element CB beams on the roof.

sdeeter19555

Most of the locals talk around ten miles to each other around here...it depends on terrain and equipment, you're not going to talk 10 miles in mountains or if you have a compromise in the antenna.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
24/7 must be line-of-sight. So, the answer is "it depends on terrain and height of each antenna". Here is a site that helps show line-of-sight distances:

HeyWhatsThat

prcguy

Everything is out the window if propagation is good and every CB channel is clogged with 10-20dB over S9 signals. A radio distance calculator can give you some ideas, but you would have to pick some ridiculously high needed level into the receivers at both ends of the circuit (like -30dBm or 7,000uv) to make sure you have 100% reliable comms during the worst skip conditions.

10mi between base stations over flat ground with big omni antennas above all buildings and trees sounds like it should work all the time with stock CBs, but when the skip is in forget about it. In that case it can be much less than 5mi and maybe only 2mi or less range. In the satellite industry we call it availability and 99.97% or higher for 24/7 reception from one of the big satellite providers was a goal. That might only allow for a 1mi path on CB even with big antennas.
prcguy

24/7 must be line-of-sight. So, the answer is "it depends on terrain and height of each antenna". Here is a site that helps show line-of-sight distances:

HeyWhatsThat

KC5AKB

AT is Aust I guess 10 to 20 miles high antenna good coax on both ends .
Depends on a lot of factors.
Feel free to pm me questions

rwier

For me, at home, or on the road, it's a lot like monitoring aircraft frequencies. Two to five miles (the tower), and "sky's the limit" on the planes at high altitude, lol. Years ago, I took a cheapo hand-held CB up to the top of South Mountain Park (Phoenix), and, although it was not always easy to determine the location of transmissions, those transmissions that I were sure of were solid out to at least 45 miles. I had never pressed the PTT button back then, so I just listened.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...In the satellite industry we call it availability and 99.97% or higher for 24/7 reception from one of the big satellite providers was a goal...

I've wondered what a satellite link availability spec was considered acceptable. I've designed point to point microwave links where the availability goal was 99.9999%. It all sounds pretty good until you translate it to seconds of outage per year. And it sounds pretty bad when you're in the middle of that once a year 30 second blackout fade.

Is that number for something like a VSAT terminal, or a large earth station?

In the OP's case, if you were able to accurately factor everything in, I doubt you'd be able to do better than 90% availability beyond a 2 or 3 mile path. The OP can translate miles to km.

prcguy

That number is for one of the largest satellite to home companies in the US, who's name I will not mention. That is the final goal to customer and takes into account outages from providers, internal goof ups and weather.

They used to meet 99.99% on occasion but with corporate changes over the years I suspect they have fallen well below the 99.97%, which was the goal when I worked there. If they keep trying to automate the process of finding video and audio problems (cheaper than people) instead of humans with eyeballs on monitors, and other bad decisions for the customer, a CB radio link in the middle of the worst skip conditions may beat them out on availability.
prcguy

I've wondered what a satellite link availability spec was considered acceptable. I've designed point to point microwave links where the availability goal was 99.9999%. It all sounds pretty good until you translate it to seconds of outage per year. And it sounds pretty bad when you're in the middle of that once a year 30 second blackout fade.

Is that number for something like a VSAT terminal, or a large earth station?

In the OP's case, if you were able to accurately factor everything in, I doubt you'd be able to do better than 90% availability beyond a 2 or 3 mile path. The OP can translate miles to km.

Last edited:

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What kind of Sat band is used in the US? Here in Europe we have the Ku Band who works very good.
Quite no Blackout on Astra Sat Signals btw i cant remember any in the last years.

prcguy

In the US the most common home satellite systems are from DirecTV and Dish Network. Both Direct and Dish use Ku band in the 12.2 to 12.7GHz range and Direct also has Ka band in the 18.7 to 19.2GHz and 19.7 to 20.2Ghz range. Some people still use C band in the 3.7 to 4.2 Ghz range and Ku in the 11.7 to 12.2 GHz range.
prcguy

What kind of Sat band is used in the US? Here in Europe we have the Ku Band who works very good.
Quite no Blackout on Astra Sat Signals btw i cant remember any in the last years.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Sorry its hard for me to translate write what I have in my mind.
What kind of range is possible to get that an CB Radio between 2 Station 24/7?
That mean no open band thing...
Sure I received Italians and i dont want to know what kind of booster the use for hat...

Which type of CB? 27MHz carries differently than the 460MHz.

Will you be using SSB? FM? AM?

Sent via Tapatalk

mule1075

Feed Provider
Do I care what the do there? No...
You asked the question it is still being answered no?You said CB only goes from 26 to 28 mhz which is not correct in some countries.It appears you don't take any advice from looking at previous posts you ask but don't like the replies given.Oh well good luck in your endeavors.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.