Whistler Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro668

Newbie
Joined
Oct 26, 2018
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Sharpsburg, GA
I just had my Pro668 updated with the DMR and want to get frequency updates from Radio Reference. Will the Whistler application work directly with their database ? Apparently the changes made in my county have made my scanner unreceivable because I've not heard anything from the sheriff's office so far.
 

DJ11DLN

Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Messages
2,068
Reaction score
360
Location
Mudhole, IN
If you had it updated by Whistler you would use the WS-1080/1088 specific version of E-Z Scan...with that caveat yes it will work. Even iScan will still work but it may throw off some of your settings.
 

JD21960

Active Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,369
Reaction score
248
Location
ILL-annoyed
Whistler EZScan GA.

Yes. As was indicated. You use EZSCAN software from the Whistler SITE and import the Freqs you want from the IMPORT tab of that software into the Scanlist you want *all go to #001 unless you tell it otherwise. Using the "preferred" setting in the drop down scroll on the left gives you the most control over what you import instead of relying on default settings.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

samcken

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
107
Location
SE Connecticut
I am considering sending in my RS scanner for the update. Is there a "demo" version of EZscan to look at? I am not totally convinced that the upgrade is for me, and I sure don't feel like fighting new software. Can Iscan files be imported to EZscan?
 

JD21960

Active Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,369
Reaction score
248
Location
ILL-annoyed
You just download it free from the Whistler Group site and can mess with it. Took me like 15-20 minutes to learn just practicing importing, creating lists, wiping things out and starting over. There are a lot of Youtube videos that show everything too. IScan is the same thing as EZScan give or take a few "terms" or category descriptions, in fact when EZScan is being uploaded to the Scanner? you can see "IScan" in the lettering being uploaded racing by.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DJ11DLN

Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Messages
2,068
Reaction score
360
Location
Mudhole, IN
I am considering sending in my RS scanner for the update. Is there a "demo" version of EZscan to look at? I am not totally convinced that the upgrade is for me, and I sure don't feel like fighting new software. Can Iscan files be imported to EZscan?

The upgrade was well worth the money for me, my 668 was all but deaf with the RS firmware. Turning it into a 1080 brought it to life. To import the iScan file, open it in the 1080/1088 version of E-Z Scan and use the "restore defaults" option, then reset any custom settings and you're ready to load it on the SD card. As mentioned above, swapping between different versions/releases can mess with some of the settings.
 

K4EET

Chaplain
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
3,110
Reaction score
2,392
Location
Severn, Maryland, USA
Pro668,

Just wanted to jump in here and say: Welcome to Radio Reference!

Cheers! Dave K4EET
 

Pro668

Newbie
Joined
Oct 26, 2018
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Sharpsburg, GA
Frequency Updates

I used the EZ Scan software and did a library update but initially my scanner was recognized. Then I told it to import the frequencies it did download. Hopefully it worked. Should I do another import again ?
 

samcken

Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
107
Location
SE Connecticut
DJ11DJN - You say the software upgrade brought your unit to life. Was this on existing frequencies you had programmed, or new frequencies available from the upgrade? Tks
 

DJ11DLN

Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Messages
2,068
Reaction score
360
Location
Mudhole, IN
DJ11DJN - You say the software upgrade brought your unit to life. Was this on existing frequencies you had programmed, or new frequencies available from the upgrade? Tks

Just comparing what I had before the upgrade. DMR works good too BTW but that's not really pertinent to your question. I really thought I had a defective unit -- bought of course in the dark days on closeout when the "all sales final -- no returns" policy was in effect. I did use EricCottrell's GREFWTool to "hack" the radio first, so I had an idea of what to expect with the "real" (I should say legal) upgrade. The difference was just short of unbelievable. I also have a Pro-18 and before the upgrade it consistently kicked the 668's butt, probably catching on the order of 70% more traffic with identical programming. I had both units upgraded and have not regretted the $60 apiece it cost for a second -- both of them work extremely well.

And no, before you ask, I don't work for Whistler.:lol:
 

RaleighGuy

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
17,797
Reaction score
28,385
Location
Raleigh, NC
To mirror what DJ11DLN said, I hardly used my PRO668 due to poor reception with the RS firmware. After I got the Whistler upgrade it was like a whole new scanner and now I use it a lot. Very happy with the speed of service Whistler provided and the ability to get updates to the firmware.

And like DJ11DLN I do not work for or have any connections to Whistler.
 

K2RNI

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2016
Messages
329
Reaction score
16
Location
Kingman, AZ
To mirror what DJ11DLN said, I hardly used my PRO668 due to poor reception with the RS firmware. After I got the Whistler upgrade it was like a whole new scanner and now I use it a lot. Very happy with the speed of service Whistler provided and the ability to get updates to the firmware.

And like DJ11DLN I do not work for or have any connections to Whistler.

I didn't know radioshack still marketed scanners under their horrible brand name. I remember how bad they were when the DMR upgrade came out. This is why people online always said to buy straight from Whistler/GRE instead, they also include the wall wart and programming cable for the same price unlike ripoff shack.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top