• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

who has a Magnetic Mic ... I have a couple questions

niceguy71

I saw some magnetic CB mic holders and thought it was a great idea.... bought a couple different ones ( 7 bucks) but they would not work with an Astatic 575..... ( the round piece on the back of the mic doesn't have a screw and doesn't come off.....I saw the magnetic mic brand name

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0153KY2GY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

that has a piece that goes over the round piece on the existing mic and then locks on with an Allen screw.. I thought it was a great idea.... but the cheapest I see them was 40 bucks!!!! no way I said... well always fumbling in my pick up truck while driving to hang the mic back up was driving me crazy so I bought one.... the magnet is SUPER strong it pulled off my bezel in my truck,, it ripped the screws right out... so I got long screws and drilled it right into the dashboard frame..... it's not going to pull off now!!!.... but every time I reach for the mic that magnet is so strong I'm pulling with a LOT of force to get the magnet to let go .... this is going to wreck my microphone soon... and there is NO NEED to have something this strong... but I've already drilled the holes so it's in and staying.... anyone use one and if so is the magnet too strong??? has anyone put a layer of plastic on the metal part to try to get it to be less powerful??? I will try gluing some plastic on the metal part but I thought I'd see if anyone else has this problem????
it is nice to hang up... I can just toss it in the direction of the metal piece and it hangs up all by itself.

niceguy71

I saw some magnetic CB mic holders and thought it was a great idea.... bought a couple different ones ( 7 bucks) but they would not work with an Astatic 575..... ( the round piece on the back of the mic doesn't have a screw and doesn't come off.....I saw the magnetic mic brand name

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0153KY2GY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

that has a piece that goes over the round piece on the existing mic and then locks on with an Allen screw.. I thought it was a great idea.... but the cheapest I see them was 40 bucks!!!! no way I said... well always fumbling in my pick up truck while driving to hang the mic back up was driving me crazy so I bought one.... the magnet is SUPER strong it pulled off my bezel in my truck,, it ripped the screws right out... so I got long screws and drilled it right into the dashboard frame..... it's not going to pull off now!!!.... but every time I reach for the mic that magnet is so strong I'm pulling with a LOT of force to get the magnet to let go .... this is going to wreck my microphone soon... and there is NO NEED to have something this strong... but I've already drilled the holes so it's in and staying.... anyone use one and if so is the magnet too strong??? has anyone put a layer of plastic on the metal part to try to get it to be less powerful??? I will try gluing some plastic on the metal part but I thought I'd see if anyone else has this problem????
it is nice to hang up... I can just toss it in the direction of the metal piece and it hangs up all by itself.

Attachments

• magnetic mic.jpg
    magnetic mic.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 5

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I see them was 40 bucks!!!! no way I said... well always fumbling in my pick up truck while driving to hang the mic back up was driving me crazy so I bought one....

Yeah, they are pricey. They would occasionally give them away at the trade shows. That's the way I got my first one. After that, I was hooked. I use them on all my personal vehicles, as well as my work vehicles. We use them on all the PD vehicles, also.

the magnet is SUPER strong it pulled off my bezel in my truck,, it ripped the screws right out... so I got long screws and drilled it right into the dashboard frame..... it's not going to pull off now!!!....

Yeah, sheet metal screws into plastic is no good. As you found, you need to sink them into metal, or install a backer plate.

but every time I reach for the mic that magnet is so strong I'm pulling with a LOT of force to get the magnet to let go .... this is going to wreck my microphone soon... and there is NO NEED to have something this strong... but I've already drilled the holes so it's in and staying.... anyone use one and if so is the magnet too strong??? has anyone put a layer of plastic on the metal part to try to get it to be less powerful??? I will try gluing some plastic on the metal part but I thought I'd see if anyone else has this problem????

It's that strong to hold the heavier commercial mics in place on rough roads. I have one on my Polaris Ranger with a larger Motorola mic, and it stays in place no matter how rough the trail is.

As for removing the mic, pulling it straight off is not easy.
Much easier to:
Slide the mic off the mount
-or-
Tilt the mic as you remove it.

niceguy71

I just put it on Friday.... So I'll get used to it or figure it out .... I'll try the tilt ... But I swear that round piece is just in plastic.... It's not going to take the force for.long

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I love them...have them on all my personal vehicles as well. I've been running them since IWCE 2014 (which is where they were giving one out for free).

oQm1avf.jpg

merlin

Last of these I had was in my truck. They work with any of the typical CB mics with the round hang up button.
I did have to tweak on the forks a bit so the mic is easyer to get off of the hangar.
The magnet was strong so pulling hangar and mic off the dash was difficult.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Last of these I had was in my truck. They work with any of the typical CB mics with the round hang up button.
I did have to tweak on the forks a bit so the mic is easyer to get off of the hangar.
The magnet was strong so pulling hangar and mic off the dash was difficult.

Works great if you have a metal dash, or just stick it to the side of a metal case radio.

If not, you need to mount a steel plate to stick it to.

I have one of those stuck to the side of my toolbox. Removed it from an old police car when we were installing the Magnetic Mics.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
When I switched company vehicles it came with magnetic mics. However the metal bushing for the mic buttons were missing, not sure where they went. I have both a Kenwood mic and a Motorola mic that both stick to the magnets just fine. They come off easier but have not fallen off even when 4 wheeling to a mountain top.

that has a piece that goes over the round piece on the existing mic and then locks on with an Allen screw.. I thought it was a great idea.... but the cheapest I see them was 40 bucks!!!! no way I said...
The reason you don't/won't see them any cheaper online is Innovative Products (Magnetic Mic parent company) has very strict min advertised pricing rules. If they catch you advertising any less, you're out. Dealers can sell for less and as cheap as they want, but they're not allowed to advertise anything less than that $39.95. Dealers also aren't allowed to sell on sites like Amazon/Fleabay any longer and the only ones you "should" see are from Innovative Products themselves. I've sold probably close to 100 of them this year and no complaints at all! I run them on everything and pretty much every mobile package I'll include one on. Like @redbeard said, they've got a product that works and they know it. So you're going to pay for it.

slowmover

IMG_4044.jpeg

IMG_4045.jpeg
Looks well-engineered to me. Would fit all of the one dozen mobile microphones I have. And isn’t really more expensive than the aforementioned cable-retractor style mic hangers I’ve used in big trucks thirty years.

Going thru 2-3/mics to find best audio is more expensive.

Keeping the mic from damage is Job One. That the mic is always in the same place I reach for it is Job Two. That pair means best performance from the operator.

The advantage of the retractor-style is in being able to simply let go and the mic is out-of-the-way. A more important consideration until a few years ago with the need to modify what the truck is doing via manual transmission.

1). In a private vehicle one can also engage the cable stop so the mic is hanging below the dashtop (radio rig made “invisible”) when antenna is stowed. It’s not without suitable adaptability.

2). The mic can also be hung at a height near to the mouth. Very short distance, then, to speak. Lateral horizontal move versus vertical up, across, then back across & down.

I say this as there are times (up to ten minutes or more) where one is engaged with others in definition & solution of problems maybe moving across lanes and irregular comms are present.

The third alternative is a VOX setup. Dedicated rig, or cable-hung where mic distance is predetermined to work well ((cable stop & intermediate hang point).

Wireless Mic, then, also enters picture. Mag Mic on sun visor, etc.

The Uniden Bearcat or President Liberty, is that example. (My pickup is set for rapid change to the above; one can exit vehicle to 100-yards and still use the engine-powered radio).

Am glad the topic came about. It looks like a worthy tool to acquire even without a distinct need at present.

For those not yet onboard with how mobile CB radio rigs price themselves, the line-by-line stuff will add up to more than the antenna & radio together with the given that longest life & highest performance are the goals.

I’d double the price below as a budget start (as I also include the wireless mic plus a President Randy as necessary mobile adjuncts carried aboard):

$40 for a component that’ll come with me from one vehicle to another isn’t a relevant barrier. Not given the need to preserve a working mic in stressful conditions.

Last edited:

slowmover

More than just a trucker mic keeper.

A topic worthy of examination where use, (Mag Mic), loss and/or damage (GearKeeper) has real-life consequences.

The day that sees stressful operation and a mic dropped where convenient will see the pitfalls of having been unprepared.

Vehicle Operation has priority.

I tried to examine “full scale operation mobile” in this thread (although recommendations have changed, the scenarios haven’t):

Mag Mic looks a worthy addition. Inside an RV where one may be standing in doorway, etc, and needs to replace mic without looking. (Tornado weather part of south central USA “fun” while camping). My “campground radio” and weather radio are near the door for this reason.

— The posts above re ATV or Jeep use are excellent examples. Same would be true in a boat.

Last edited: